DEFINITION of pecan: a nut and a tree; a nut that grows on a tall tree in the United States and Mexico and that can be eaten; the smooth oblong thin-shelled nut of the pecan tree
17 Facts About Pecans
Pecans ARE very good for you, but did you know HOW good they are for you? Let me tell you a few facts about pecans:
- Pecans are members of the walnut family.
- Pecans are native to temperate North America.
- The pecan tree has deeply furrowed bark and feather-shaped leaves.
- Many pecan varieties are named after Native American tribes.
- There are about 1,000 pecan varieties.
- The top pecan producing states are Georgia, New Mexico and Texas in that order respectively.
- Pecan trees occasionally reach a height of about 160 ft (50 m)!
- The United State produces about 80 percent of the world’s pecan supply.
- Pecans are one of the top 15 food sources of antioxidants!
- Pecans reduce your blood cholesterol level and prevent heart diseases.
- The pecan nut has a rich flavor and the meat is not hard.
- Pecans have a very high fat content. Actually, it is one of the highest of any vegetable product.
- Pecan nuts contain 25 vitamins and minerals including:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Pantothenic Acid
- Manganese – One ounce of pecans gives you 55% of your recommended intake value of manganese which strengthens the immunity system and protects nerve cells from free radicals and that makes it GREAT for the brain!
- Pecans are high in physterols which inhibit cholesterol from entering the bloodstream. Physterols reduce low density lipoproteins (LDL) and increase high density lipoproteins (HDL).
- Pecans contain alpha linolenic acid which fights cancers, can lower cholesterol and reduce blood pressure.
- Pecans contain oleic acid which dissolves fat in the blood vessels. This helps to prevent blockages in the arteries which reduces strokes and heart attacks.
- Pecans contain linoleic acid which is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant all in one!
Did you know that pecans were soooooo good for you? Well, that’s why I ate this big bowl of ice cream with bananas and pecans!
Yes, that really is why I ate it!