So you’re feeling sad and blue which is totally depressing you. Well, there are so many things you can do to get out of the funk.
I know what it feels like to be unhappy. The first thing that pops into my mind when I’m feeling unhappy is that I’m never going to be happy again.
Oh hog wash!
The only way that you won’t ever be happy again is if you choose to remain unhappy. You can change your circumstances, condition and/or attitude now, in five minutes, in a month or in a year. The control is completely in your hands.
Don’t say, “No.”
It REALLY is completely in your hands. No matter how horrible the circumstance is right now, you can either give into it or fight your way out of it. The choice and change is predicated upon your action. There will be some factors that are out of your control, but your reaction to them is most definitely within your control.
So if you want to be happier today and you want to restore the happiness in your life, you can. It might mean that you have to make the hard choice or a big change which causes discomfort for a short time, but eventually the choice to change will bring about your success and happiness.
I’m able to say all those flowery words that sound good with conviction because I know that they are true. I don’t have to rely on someone else’s word because I’ve experienced the depths of Hell and the only way I got out it was because I did something.
It was a minute-by-minute conscious effort to change and fight for the change in the beginning. I can say that after a seven year struggle while suffering major heartache and mental anguish, life has gotten better because I worked to change my circumstances. Yes, there was more than one thing that I had to change.
Was it easy to change my circumstances in order to have a happier life?
Let me repeat that again.
I lost so much during the battle. I almost lost my soul and my sanity, but “almost” only counts when playing horseshoes. The important thing is that my soul has been released and my mind is in the final stages of healing.
At first it was strictly survival. Then I had to plan and work towards accomplishing the end goal. There were many setbacks which shook my hope and made me feel trapped, but I redoubled my efforts and accepted that my full success was going to be later instead of sooner. The important thing is that I WILL not stop until I am completely successful.
Determination and persistence has been key in restoring happiness in my life. I have whined, complained and cried, but I haven’t given up. I’ve come TOO FAR and lost TOO MUCH to stop now.
Happiness: a state of well-being brought about by enjoying, showing, or marked by contentment, pleasure, satisfaction or joy.
126 Things To Do When You’re Feeling Sad And Blue To Help Restore Happiness In Your Life
With my background of pain and suffering while being trapped in several terrible situations, I want to give you some things to do that will restore happiness in your life. Some of the things can completely transform your future, while others will bring you momentary happiness and peace.
So here I go with the long list of 126 things to do when you’re feeling sad and blue in order to restore happiness in your life.
- Watch the sunrise
- Learn something new
- Browse the book store/library and read excerpts from lots of different books
- Garden, mow the lawn, pull weeds
- Write a long letter to an old friend or someone you love
- Make wild, hot, slow, uninhibited, passionate love
- Have a picnic
- Smoosh your face on a clean window and admire the imprint of your face – Loosen up! Don’t be an old fuddy duddy! You can ALWAYS clean the window.
- Look at beautiful pictures
- Buy a new outfit that makes you feel happy
- Sing really loud even if it sounds like you’re a dying cow
- Pick/buy flowers for yourself
- Talk to yourself in the mirror and say positive things about yourself
- Sit in a shopping mall or park and watch people
- Visit a new place like a museum
- Read a book
- Take pictures of beautiful and/or intriguing things
- Get a manicure/pedicure
- Take a long walk
- Cry because it is therapeutic to release the sadness through tears
- Force yourself to smile
- Fantasize about anything that lifts your mood
- Get a massage
- Spend time with people that help you to become more invigorated about life
- Believe that this time of sadness will eventually end
- Visit a candy/toy store even if you don’t buy anything
- Give a massage
- Blow bubbles
- Put on perfume or cologne
- Talk about your feelings with an empathetic friend or therapist
- Text lots of people at the same time and carry on totally different conversations with them all
- Play a game with a friend or online
- Clean the car, truck, house, attic or garage
- Go fishing
- Dress to the nines or in other words, get all dressed up and look spiffy
- Lift weights
- Make/give someone a gift
- Enjoy an hour long facial at a spa
- Make plans/set goals for the future
- Bake cookies for someone you love
- Color a picture in a coloring book
- Fall in love or reignite the love you already enjoy
- Go to a sporting event and cheer loudly
- Buy Silly Putty/Play Dough and spend time smooshing and pulling it
- Rearrange the furniture in your home
- Arrange all your bookmarks on the computer in an organized way
- Fly a kite
- Take a nap without setting the alarm to wake up
- Turn off all noise and listen to the sounds of nature
- Get a hair cut
- Chew bubble gum and blow bubbles
- Investigate something new and sit in on the class for free – karate, college class, sewing, ballroom dancing, art, etc.
- Make a list of 100 things you appreciate – have gratitude
- Sit by a lake, river or ocean
- Scream loudly outside, in the car or in a pillow until you’re exhausted
- Make a list of things you want to change in your life
- Play with children
- Take a long hot, shower or bath, alone or together
- Change the sheets on your bed, fluff the pillows and wash the blankets
- Get rid of the clutter in your home
- Light candles/lower the lights
- Deep breathe
- Indulge in a guilty pleasure food like ice cream or chocolate
- Go for a long drive/bike ride
- Come up with a plan to end a bad habit
- Give yourself a hair treatment
- Change the oil in the car/Have the oil changed
- Wear sexy underwear/bra
- Clean all the windows inside and outside in your home
- Work on a home improvement project
- Listen to good music
- Deep breathe and meditate
- Primp – pay attention to your body and provide it with extra attention – shaving, doing nails, applying lotions, using oils, buying new clothes or shoes
- Walk around the park
- End relationships that bring negativity and unhappiness to your life
- Wear your favorite color
- Forgive someone. No, forgive everyone! Stop carrying the burden of a grudge or revenge.
- Cuddle with your pet or a friend’s pet
- Clean your home and declutter it
- Visit the botanical garden
- Overcome a fear or begin the steps toward overcoming a fear
- Plan a vacation
- Enjoy the moon especially if reflected of water like the ocean
- Make a video
- Travel virtually or in real life
- Eat some healthy, satisfying food
- Lay down and watch the clouds in the sky
- Pop bubble wrap
- Read jokes and laugh out loud
- Walk barefoot in the grass or in the sand at the beach
- Eat dark chocolate
- Drink water
- Phone a friend
- Drink homemade hot chocolate
- Visit a farm
- Do something spontaneous like enroll for ballroom dancing lessons, play tennis or go swimming
- Eat your meals off your best dishes
- Wear raggedy, comfy pajamas or sweat pants
- Enjoy being in the sunshine
- Drink green tea because it has a chemical (theanine) that increases relation and serotonin/dopamine levels (happiness chemicals)
- Plan a move, then move to a location that is closer to work or more peaceful
- Grow something in an unconventional way
- Do something for someone else
- Make love/have sex
- Sit up straight and lower your shoulders, then breathe out
- Do a little maintenance and clean up on your computer
- Watch a fun movie that will make you laugh – “White Chicks” does it for me
- Write down the things you are grateful for and count your blessings
- Make potpourri for aromatherapy to reduce anxiety – lavender, orange and vanilla
- Do something that will improve your life such as can vegetables, make soap, etc.
- Visit the zoo. There’s nothing like escaping with peaceful animals.
- Release all the guilt and regret you feel
- Take a cold shower because it increase blood circulation and stimulate the release of endorphins which will elevate your mood.
- In a journal, record some of the funny, crazy things that have happened to you
- Write a poem
- Change jobs
- Hug someone
- Hold hands – enjoy the feel of your fingers entwined and enjoy looking at your lover’s hand
- Wear sexy lingerie
- Watch the sunset