Belgian Rubber Tire Artist Wim Delvoye – Amazing Carving

by Sherry Riter in Art

Most of Wim Delvoye “art” would shock you because of the subject matter. However, there is one thing Wim has created that is quite marvelous and doesn’t have anything to do “those” subjects.

Wim Delvoye’s carved rubber tires are simply amazing.

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 9

As I stood pumping gas into my car today on the way home from work, I noticed that my left front tire appeared to be low on air. Let me just say that I do not like car maintenance of any kind. While I stood there glaring at the tire and hoping that it would self-inflate, I remembered that I had planned to share these lovely carved rubber tires with you.

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 10

Can you imagine a tire swing made out of this tire? It would be just too pretty!

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 8

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 6

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 4

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 3

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 5

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 2

engraved rubber tires Wim Delvoye 1

Obviously, these tires can’t really be used on a car, but the carving is amazing. What do you think?

1 Carlos April 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

Great garden decorations if you ask me…I could take one or two…

2 Sherry Riter April 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

That’s a GREAT idea! I hadn’t even thought of using them in a garden! Thanks Carlos! 😀

3 Joan April 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I agree with you, Wim Delvoye’s carved rubber tires are amazing! 🙂

4 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm

When you said, “Most of Wim Delvoye ‘art’ would shock you because of the subject matter,” of course my curiosity was aroused and I clicked on the link you supplied in your post to see just what was so shocking about the subject matter he chose for his art. I expected to see something really – well really provocative. Boy was I disappointed. Because I am not computer savvy, (as you are well aware – I am sure you are rolling your eyes and laughing your head off by now by my ineptness with the computer), I could not figure out how to navigate his website. I clicked on the book on the top of the building that said library, but nothing shocking appeared, just a lot of dates and text where the artist had exhibited his art – and when I clicked on the text it was articles about the artist in foreign languages. Anyhow, would you please be so kind as to supply the link to Wim Delvoye’s art that you consider shocking and I will decide for myself if it is shocking or not! 🙂

5 Sherry Riter April 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Click the building that says TIRES….uh, duh. LOL

6 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

P.S. I am sure that Skip, who is worldly and has traveled extensively, would not consider any of Wim Delvoye’s art shocking. I think Skip has seen just about everything there is to see and I would be interested to know his opinion about Wim Delvoye’s art. Maybe we can get a lively discussion going! 🙂

7 Sherry Riter April 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I think he has seen everything too!

8 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm

P.S.S. I’ll tell you what really SHOCKS ME and that is that hardly anyone commented on this post – and it was a REALLY INTERESTING POST! I was intrigued by it. I was even intrigued by my own ineptness at not being able to navigate Wim Delvoye’s website. 🙂

9 Sherry Riter April 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm

People just don’t comment much. They are busy, can’t type or don’t have much to say! LOL

10 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Okay, so where’s the shocking link already of Wim Delvoye’s art? Just how long can a girl wait? 🙂

11 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Shocking that you are making me wait this long for the link! 🙂

12 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:40 pm

You must be working on writing another post and that’s why you’re not supplying me with the link, or you’re . . . no I know you’re a good girl, you’re not doing that so you must be writing another post! 🙂

13 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Obviously I’m not doing anything exciting tonight or I wouldn’t be making these many comments. 🙂

14 Joan April 24, 2013 at 10:43 pm

But seriously now, are you going to supply that shocking link? (Just asking. :))

15 Sherry Riter April 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm