How Is Mr. Sweet Potato Head Sprouting?

by Sherry Riter in Cooking  ,Food,Gluten Free,Grain Free,Paleo,Vegan,Vegetable

When I first had the idea to root a sweet potato, I wasn’t really sure if I could actually keep it alive. By putting myself out there and proclaiming that I was going to grow a plant INSIDE my home instead of outside where my green thumb thrives, I was taking a big chance of bombing in public.

Since my little Mr. Sweet Potato Head is just thriving, I thought I would share him with you. Observe the numerous beautiful white roots.

green leaves sprouting potato

Let me also tell you that I haven’t had to change the water at all. Mr. Sweet Potato Head is so happy, that growing roots and sprouting has been a wonderful experience. The water hasn’t stagnated one bit.

Sprouting a sweet potato head

Obviously, Mr. Sweet Potato Head has been VERY happy just sitting next to me and Albert, my computer. The warmth of Albert with his soft humming fan, I think is rather comforting and made Mr. Sweet Potato Head relaxed enough to grow heartily.

I know that you all thought that the last time I showed you the growth by Mr. Sweet Potato Head that you were very shocked. With my indoor non-green thumb, it was logical for you to believe that I would have already killed him!

Mr Potato Head Sweet Potato

I also believe that being so close to me all the time has added to the robust growth by Mr. Sweet Potato Head. As you can see, he is just beautiful and not at all dead! So very shortly, I will be sharing with you exactly why I have been sprouting Mr. Sweet Potato Head!

Mr Sweet Potato Head

Did you ever start rooting a sweet potato?

Can you barely stand the anticipation of finding out why I am rooting a sweet potato?

I know. The suspense is overwhelming and the anticipation is unbearable!

The Sweet Potato Posts:
How To Root A Sweet Potato For Garden Planting Or?
Sweet Potato Update, A Picture Is Worth 1,000 Words
How Is Mr. Sweet Potato Head Sprouting?
Sweet Potato Shoots Recipe & Mr. Sweet Potato Head
Lessons I Learned From A Sweet Potato, Specifically Mr. Sweet Potato Head

1 Skip_D March 14, 2013 at 6:43 am

yep – your hydroponic sweet potato looks very healthy & happy :)

you can explain why you started him growing any time now… nobody’s dying of curiosity & anticipation – nope, nobody… ;)

2 Sherry Riter March 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

No one is dying of curiosity and anticipation? Well, I guess I will just have to let it drag on for a little longer! :D

3 Suzanne March 14, 2013 at 8:54 am

I have rooted a sweet potato before. I was in elementary school and we did it for science class. Boy, was I mad when my daddy dug it back up and there were a zillion icky orange potatoes instead of the yummy white ones. I guess that I missed the whole announcement about it being a SWEET potato we were growing. I was happy that it grew, but sad about the dirt and nutrients wasted to grow THOSE potatoes, and very mad that I hadn’t grown white ones.

Now, all these years later, I love sweet potatoes and could kick myself for wasting those way back then. :)

4 Sherry Riter March 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Well, you just need to eat double sweet potatoes for awhile to make up for lost time! LOL

5 Suzanne March 16, 2013 at 1:07 am

If I could, I would. Unfortunately, my hubby is allergic to them. I would much rather kiss him and do without the sweet potato than the other way around. :)

6 Sherry Riter March 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Amen! Definitely choose the kiss! LOL

7 teresa vett March 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I am glad I am sitting or I would havefainted, lol. It is not dead!!!!!!!!!!!

You can grow a beet too,along with carrots. The beet leaves are beautiful and deep purple. Just a thought.

8 Sherry Riter March 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’m glad you were sitting too or you probably would have hit your head. LOL

9 Bev March 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

crunch…crunch…crunch…sweet potato fries with just a dash of cinnamon and sugar. ;) Nope, not dying to know either. You are so mischievous!

10 Sherry Riter March 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

LOL And you are so funny!