How To Clean Your Diamonds And Jewelry In Minutes

by Sherry Riter in DIY,Fun Facts

It doesn’t take a bunch of fancy ingredients, tools or a lot of time to keep your diamonds and jewelry clean and sparkling.

I don’t wear my jewelry when I’m home, so I guess that probably saves on the grime that builds up, but it still gets dirty.

Let me show you what you need…

toothpaste on toothbrush crest

That’s right! All you need is a toothbrush and toothpaste.

One of the last things I do before going to work is brush my teeth. I actually use toothpaste first and then Baking Soda. Yes, the gritty white stuff! I love Baking Soda because it cleans my teeth so easily, makes them sparkle and kills the germs!

Anyway, after I brush my teeth, I put more toothpaste on an old toothbrush that I don’t use on my teeth anymore. Then I “brush” my rings the same way that I brush my teeth. The bristles of the toothbrush get underneath the diamond and in all the grooves/designs in the gold. After brushing the jewelry for a minute, I rinse it under running water and towel or blow dry.

That’s it!

Not only will a toothbrush and toothpaste make your teeth shine bright like a diamond, but they will also keep your jewelry and gems sparkling too! Your diamond will shine just like the day you purchased it.

By the way, you have a little bit of spinach between your front two teeth. Do you need to use my toothpaste?

1 Skip_D February 1, 2013 at 1:12 am

I need a toothbrush too… :P

Do you clean your diamonds & jewelry every day?

2 Sherry Riter February 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm

No and yes. If they don’t look shiny because I have tons of hand lotion on them from the day before, I get them a quick once over.

3 Joan February 1, 2013 at 5:04 am

After you brush your teeth you use baking soda to brush your teeth again? I’m going to have to try that. What a great tip for making my pearly whites shine! :)

4 Sherry Riter February 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Yes! My mouth feels really fresh and clean because Baking Soda is wonderful!

5 Sue February 1, 2013 at 6:09 am

Well goodness, now I have to go out and get baking soda. Thanks for the tips!

6 Sherry Riter February 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm

:) Buy the HUGE bag from Costco. I’ll give you more Baking Soda tips and you’ll be using it like crazy.

7 Audrey February 1, 2013 at 11:47 am

You’re so retarded. Spinach between your teeth indeed. Talk to me when you have to wear braces and after you eat dinner you can store a small snack within all the wires and brackets. LOL

8 Sherry Riter February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Ewwww to the after dinner snacks! However, better you than me. :D

9 Making Our Life Matter February 1, 2013 at 2:58 pm

That is a great tip! When I am at work, I use the steam wand from the expresso machine to clean my diamond.(if you do that, I recommend taking your ring off first ;) ) The toothbrush method is more practical.

Happy weekend!

10 Sherry Riter February 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm

LOL Definitely take your ring off first if you are going to steam it clean on the espresso machine! LOL You’re so funny!

11 Bev February 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Whew…I thought you were going to say use Lotion Puffs. :)
Great post. We have a container of baking soda on the bathroom sink. It is great for cleaning and brushing teeth. It is also good for pouring down the sink to remove odors, as one of the main chemicals in the swimming pool, and much, much more.
I am glad you said to use an old toothbrush. I remember reading an article once that mentioned women who used their toothbrush to clean their jewelry had gum problems…imagine that (duh!). Hope you are having a great weekend!

12 Sherry Riter February 3, 2013 at 6:59 am

LOL Yeah, I can see using Lotion Puffs on a diamond. LOL Talk about a smeary mess!

13 katherine February 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I do this to, Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo P.S. the new giveaway started Friday :-)

14 Sherry Riter February 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Great minds think alike. :D

15 Brooke February 4, 2013 at 10:19 am

Such a great tip! I’ve been looking at my wedding ring lately and thinking it’s in need of a good clean, but I wasn’t sure how to go about it. Now I know! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a great day!

16 Sherry Riter February 4, 2013 at 1:41 pm

You’re very welcome!

17 marc June 12, 2013 at 7:15 am

Hello my wife says that soaking your jewery in mouth wash and cleaning with a toothbrush works really well also

18 Sherry Riter June 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Really? I had no idea! Tell your wife thanks for the added advice!! :)