My Dinner, Moving, An Unbirthday And The Fig Tree

by Sherry Riter in Sherry

Even though I am now grain free because it was wrecking my body, I still have to eat. Admittedly, I have been mourning my loss of being able to consume anything from an entire food group and in redhead fashion, I have whined. The good thing about this whole grain free thing is that I have lost many inches of my body. It was the inches I didn’t really need and it was verified today when Mom saw me for the first time in a month and said that I looked 15 years younger. Thank you, Mom.

Anyway, I was hungry for breakfast at dinner, so I scrambled some eggs and topped them with pickled jalapeno peppers.

pickled jalapeno peppers breakfast dinner

I also cooked some thick sliced bacon – not too crispy and not to limp.

cooked thick sliced pork bacon

Then I washed and cut some figs in half. While I was packing my kitchen last weekend, I found some Happy Birthday plates that had different colored balloons all over them. I figured tonight was a good time to use them in order to celebrate my loss in inches of what must have been body fat. I’m going back to the doctor next week, so I will stand on the scale to see if I also lost weight. I’m rather curious.

Anyway, the plates are festive and my kitchen is pretty barren since everything is packed, so I decided to just use them up and save myself having to wash dishes. Besides, I deserved an unbirthday celebration party.

scrambled eggs bacon  figs peppers

As I was eating the deliciously sweet figs, I remembered a great story.

ripe sweet figs cut in half

Mam-Maw and Gran-Gran, my maternal grandparents, had a HUGE fig tree growing on one side of their house. Figs are one of my most favorite fruits. When we visited my grandparents on the weekends, I would often spend hours playing outside…on all sides of the house. When the figs would get ripe on the tree, it was just too much of a temptation to ignore, so I ate them…lots of them. Actually, I consumed far too many figs at one time. I’m sure you can imagine what it did to my digestive system.

Anyway, Mam-Maw would always know that I had eaten tons of figs because I couldn’t stop running to the bathroom and I wasn’t hungry for dinner. Was it worth it to me? Heck yes! Picking the figs directly off the tree (it really looked more like a gigantic bush) and eating the warm, juicy, sweet flesh of the fruit is beyond all comparison. Those figs were not only very large, but their flavor put the figs I ate tonight to shame.

ripe figs cut in half

So I ate a delicious grain free dinner that included figs served on festive unbirthday plates with wonderful childhood memories. I think this dinner will really rank up there as one of my best personal celebrations alone.

Do you ever celebrate unbirthdays and have you also gone grain free?

Happy grain free unbirthday with figs to me!
Happy grain free unbirthday with figs to me!
Happy grain free unbirthday with figs to meeeeeeeee!
Happy grain free unbirthday with figs to me!
And many more!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kristi October 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

The answer to your questions: No and no. =) I’ve never eaten a fig either. I’ve eaten fig newtons and love those but have decidedly learned that I cannot consume too many newtons. Repercussions.

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

LOL Kristi! Yep, repercussions are even faster if you eat the actual fig. LOL

mom October 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

ATTENTION EVERY ONE ON THIS BLOG!!!!!! I was amazed to see my child. Her face was clear as a china doll, no circles under her eyes, no puffiness in her face and the white of her eyes were not red!!!! She looked like she was barely 30, I was astounded!! I held back and just acted normal but had to tell her how beautiful she was. I did not want to up set her as I do so often since she has been in such a delicate state!! Now that she has come and said something about getting better, I can scream it from the roof tops, “My child is coming back!!” I love you Sherry, I am proud of you.

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

You’re so silly. LOL

I knew you would be shocked at how I looked because it happened so quickly. Now you know why Alyssa was shocked. LOL Overnight I continually change. It is really funny!

And yes, my brain is slowly healing thanks to a therapist that actually knows what she is doing and also because time has passed. I’m sure everyone’s prayers have also been part of it too. Thank you, Mom. I love you too.

Skip_D October 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

Happy Unbirthday Sherry! I love figs… & either I haven’t eaten enough at one time, or else my digestive system is hardier than most :) Your dinner looks scrumptious! …& the plates are fun!

Ohhhh, btw, Joan – I’m baaaaaaaack!!! :D

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

LOL Thank goodness you are back! We have all missed your intelligent and happy comments!

Joan October 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Yes, I can see you are baaaaaaaack, Skip!!! :D How did you enjoy your trip to France?

Skip_D October 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm

France?!? I haven’t been there in – ermmm… more than 40 years! :D

Sherry Riter October 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm

LOL LOL LOL

Stéfan October 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

That sounds like an amazing meal. Now I’m hungry.

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

LOL Well come over…um, You live so far away that by the time you got here, it would be molded. LOL LOL

Teresha October 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

You crack me up! Happy grain free unbirthday to you! figs are awesome and we have several on our block and the neighbors are always giving us baskets of the stuff. It’s great that you are feeling and looking fit. It’s amazing how the weight melts off when you stop consuming wheat!

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for wishing me a happy grain free unbirthday! LOL

It is WEIRD how the fat has completely disappeared without any effort except to keep the grain outta my mouth! It is really a new body every day! I woke up this morning and immediately jumped up to look at myself! LOL I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone!!!

Joan October 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Redhead Riter, I hope all the benefits that you are deriving from your grain free diet are outweighing the negative fact that you cannot eat certain foods that you used to love.

One of the benefits I foresee happening is that you are going to come up with some new grain free recipes that are delicious and healthy – and who knows even a new cookbook might be in the works! :)

Joan October 6, 2012 at 7:09 pm

P.S. Happy grain free unbirthday with figs to you! :)

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Well, so far it is a toss up – I MISS my grain, but I guess in time, I will adjust.

And thanks for my happy grain free unbirthday with figs! LOL

Ric Fox October 6, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I have never been much of a grain eater, but I do eat them occassionally; all my life I have just naturally gravitated towards what a lot of folks now call the Atkins Diet, lots of meat, etc.
I have never been overweight, but it might be due to my metabolism going like a freight train as well, I don’t know.
Either way, glad to hear you’re feeling better and hope you stick to your diet and stay that way.

Ric

Sherry Riter October 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’m definitely NOT going to eat grain again. Suffocating isn’t worth it! LOL

Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) October 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Hey – glad to hear you are well…wish I had the will power to give up wheat (at least!)!

I DO love figs! take care, Kathy

Sherry Riter October 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

It is A-MAZING how much better I feel, Kathy!!! I can’t hardly believe it!

Yeah, figs are sooooooooooooooo yummy! I didn’t see any in the store this weekend!!!! I’m so sad!!! LOL