A Nerd’s Art – Twitter Art, Pictures, ASCII Symbols

by Sherry Riter in Social media,Twitter

It wasn’t too long ago that I gave you some Twitter advice in an effort to save you from making many of the mistakes that I did when I first started tweeting. Not long after that post, I continued to get DM’s (Direct Messages) on Twitter from hackers and innocent people who had been taken over by hackers. That prompted me to write a post about the 7 steps to eliminate a Twitter hacker. Today I want to share something that I find to be really fun and it is called Twitter art which is better known as those pictures made with ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) symbols.

Tweeting Twitter Art

Last February I decided that I wanted to create my name using the ASCII Symbols so that I could have my own Twitter art. I spent quite awhile putting symbols together manually so that “The Redhead Riter” could be celebrated and noticed. Since I didn’t have a program to create the image, it was a painstaking procedure. I knew, however, in the end I would conquer, so I was pretty pumped up to get it finished.

I did finish the twitter art a few days later and have been enjoying my personalized Twitter art ever since then.

twitter art the redhead riter 2011-02-18

The only thing that would make Twitter better, other than being able to use more than 140 characters, would be to have the option of using color in the tweets. I think it would be just awesome!

So today I took the time to play around a bit on Twitter to satisfy my creative side. Not only did I create a self-portrait and a Twitter art picture of my daughter, Alyssa, but I also brought my dream to reality. I colored my Twitter art.

Of course, it wasn’t in color on Twitter, but nonetheless, I colored the Twitter pictures AND I enjoyed the process. Did it serve a purpose? Well, you will probably say that it was a useless waste of time, but it sure did satisfy the creative side of me. I was totally absorbed in creating my curls and coloring Alyssa’s cheeks, lips, hair and shirt. It was truly a nerd’s paradise.

So I didn’t create world peace today, but I enjoyed myself and was lost in the wonderful world of creativity. Never underestimate the healing power of being expressed in a piece of art, even if it is ASCII Twiter art pictures. Believe me – it is a whole lot better than having to hear me sing like a dying cow.

1 Skip_D October 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

very cool! your portrait & self portrait are delightful! it’s about time for Twitter to catch up & allow color tweets, don’cha think??? ;)

2 Sue October 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I always admire your twitter art and wish I knew how to do it too. You could do a class about it?!? Most especially like the colored art you show here too.

3 Joan October 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I don’t know, Redhead Riter, I am beginning to wonder about you! LOL I love your Twitter art! It’s so creative and original! But do you really think that by making your hair red that the picture is a self portrait of you? Yes, I recognize the red hair, but that’s all I recognize. The features don’t look anything like you – all you can tell is that it is a girl with red hair. The same thing is true with your Twitter art of Alyssa. Yes, I recognize the blonde hair as being Alyssa, but those are not Alyssa’s features.

The reason all this makes me wonder is that in the post you wrote “What Makes A Man Hot or Sexy?http://www.theredheadriter.com/2010/11/what-makes-man-hot-or-sexy/ you said that your ex-husband Evan reminded you of the actor Tom Selleck. The only resemblance I could see between Tom Selleck and Evan is that they both had mustaches and curly hair!

Okay, maybe I am being too literal. LOL Your Twitter art was very entertaining and you had such a fun time doing it. If I was an art teacher I would you an “A” for creativity and originality in a very difficult medium! :)

4 Sherry Riter October 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You really don’t think that the pictures look EXACTLY like me an Alyssa? I’m so surprised!!! ;)

About Evan, he DID “remind” me of Tom Selleck, but he didn’t really “look” so much like Tom Selleck except for the mustache and curly hair. But he did have SUCH wonderful thick hair LOL Obviously “hair” didn’t save the relationship LOL LOL LOL

You ARE being TOO literal. The Twitter art is supposed to be more like a coloring book. I LOVE to color in coloring books too! That is one thing I definitely didn’t outgrow!!! :P

BTW thanks for the A, but I think it should have been an A+ so I’m going to argue with the teacher. LOL LOL

5 Joan October 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Redhead Riter, I stand corrected. I am giving you an “A+” for your delightful Twitter art! :D

6 Sherry Riter October 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I feel much better now. Nothing short of an A+ ever makes me happy!!!!

7 Joan October 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Overachiever!!! :D

8 Sherry Riter October 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Shamelessly admitting to being OCD about being an overachiever! :P

9 Colleen Ann Guest October 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Sing like a dying cow!! Still killing me!

10 Sherry Riter October 7, 2012 at 11:27 pm

LOL I do! I only inflict my family on their birthday when I call them up and sing Happy Birthday. If they cover the phone until I’m done, they don’t tell me, but I’m surprised the phone doesn’t melt or something. LOL