28 Reasons For Therapy/Counseling With A Therapist

by Sherry Riter in Lessons of Life,Self-Development

alien therapy therapist psychology psychiatry

Do you ever feel like an alien? You know what I mean – a little out of sorts, stuck in someone else’s life, in a time warp or living as a character in the Twilight Zone. Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own body and one of those times is when I think about the fact that, “I go to therapy.” Just saying that sentence sounds very alien. Really think about it…two people in a room, talking for an hour. Sometimes one will cry, wipe their tears and blow their nose. All the while, the other one gives good advice. Now doesn’t that sound alien?

Well, even though it sounds alien when we think about it, psychiatry, psychology, counseling, and therapy are (as my grandmother would say) “good for what ails you.” Obviously, I have something that “ails” me, but I KNOW I’m not the only one that needs professional help. Obtaining therapy is not anything to cause feelings of shame or embarrassment. Would you feel ashamed or embarrassed to go to a medical doctor if you broke a leg, had a heart attack or had strep throat?

I didn’t hear you.

I think you would probably be very thankful that there was someone with the expertise to help your medical condition.

Okay, I can see you reluctantly nodding an affirmative.

A therapist is someone with an expertise to help your mind which in turn helps the heart, soul and every other function of the body.

28 Reasons For Therapy/Counseling With A Therapist

There are many reasons that someone might feel the need to find a therapist for therapy or counseling. Before I list them, let me say one thing about therapy…

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.

The same holds true about therapy. You can MAKE someone go to therapy, but that will not help them if they are not willing to open up and change. In the end, therapy can only help those who are willing to help themselves.

So let’s get to the common reasons that people seek therapy:

1. Abuse/Violence – Any form of abuse and/or violence whether it be physical, mental or emotional.
  2. “Me” time – It can be a time where you stop all other activities for everyone else and focus only on yourself and your needs.
  3. Another perspective – Having an unbiased, professional from the “outside looking in” can give your situation an objective opinion.
  4. Death of a loved one
  5. Relieve emotional distress
  6. Divorce
  7. Therapy offers a safe haven where no one will condemn or shame anything you say, feel, believe or do.
  8. PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
  9. Anger management to tame the wild beast within you.
  10. Depression
  11. Face and conquer addictions
  12. Birth of child/children
  13. Self exploration toward goals – Getting to know and accept yourself while focusing on goals will add great value to your future accomplishments.
  14. Jealousy
  23. Marriage
  24. Continue learning
  25. Eating disorder
  26. Improve at your job
  27. Overcome fears
  28. Work through the past

Obviously, therapy can be great if you are open to seeing life differently. I know that hard work during therapy CAN heal you and I’m looking forward to the day when I wake up in the morning and say, “I’m so happy that all my PTSD symptoms are gone.”

Yeah, it seems like a dream that won’t ever come true, but I KNOW it will if I remain determined and patient.

{{{hugsss}}} to you all!

Sherry Riter, also known as The Redhead Riter. Sherry is witty, intelligent and addictive as she writes about cooking, family, marriage, failures, blogging tips, art, humor, inspiration, travel, PTSD and aging. Her goal is to inspire, motivate, educate and to make her audience laugh. Sherry embraces being a redhead and helps others to see the redhead point of view…"In some eras redheads were worshipped while others thought us witches. Personally, I like the former and think every day is 'Love a redhead day!'" She can also be found on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Linkedin, tweeting as @TheRedheadRiter and you can subscribe to her free blog feed.

1 Joan October 23, 2012 at 2:58 am

I, too, am looking forward to the day when you wake up in the morning and say, “I’m so happy that all my PTSD symptoms are gone.” In the meanwhile, keep up the good work you are doing with your therapist. Remember: Rome was not built in a day! :)

2 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:06 am

Thanks! :)

3 cindi October 23, 2012 at 6:25 am

I do believe in therapy providing the shrink is stable! I don’t believe in forcing drugs to mask the problem, although at times it’s necessary to get through a tough time. I’ve gone to therapy, and found it to be life saving while I suffered through PTSD and anxiety attacks. I am now able to get through those times much easier and they are becoming less and less invasive in my life.

4 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

I’m so glad that you found therapy that helped you, Cindi. I totally agree about finding the right therapist with the skills that can help because not all of therapist are created equal. ;) {{{hugsss}}}

5 mom October 23, 2012 at 6:31 am

This was a informative post Sher. It was very good. I have had therapy and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I have been for first one thing then another. I find it is difficult to overcome all that has made life for just me. I need to work on it all the time and I learn everyday who I am. I think every soul needs help and often pride prevents one from attaining help. You will wake up one day and there will be rainbows to brighten your day. Have a good one and I love you.

6 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks Mom.

Yes, pride does stand in the way of some people obtaining good mental health help and that is very sad. With a good therapist, you can learn valuable life skills tailored just for your needs.

I love you too.

7 mom October 23, 2012 at 6:32 am

I love the snow on this page. If I could find one that could be a screen saver I would have it on

8 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

Thanks. I will see if I can find a snow screensaver for you.

9 Joan October 23, 2012 at 6:54 am

I got a real kick out of your alien therapy therapist. If I ever walked into a psychologist or psychiatrist’s office and saw a therapist who looked like that I would think I had entered the twilight zone! LOL

10 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:14 am
11 Joan October 23, 2012 at 6:58 am

On second thought, maybe that alien therapy therapist would make a great dancing partner for the television show Dancing With The Stars. :)

12 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

LOL Okay, that was wacky! LOL

13 Joan October 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

But seriously, Redhead Riter, is that your Halloween Costume? :)

14 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

Nope! Good guess, but nope!

15 Susanne October 23, 2012 at 7:27 am

Wow, they reeled you in hook, line and sinker! I wish you all the best and may you wake up one morning healed!

Seriously, I hope that somehow they CAN help make it all go away and one day you do wake up being your “former” self. Or at least assist you in feeling better, teach you coping skills, or whatever it takes to get you through the day in a better frame of mind. However, in the meantime, don’t forget to cut your “current” self some slack. Although, maybe a little worn and dinged, you are a gift to many, including me.

A little something to think about. Think of who you have become, what you have learned, what you have shared. Would you even be the Red Riter?

Sending more hugs from a friend who is taking a break from therapy!
Peace Out!

16 Sherry Riter October 23, 2012 at 8:28 am

“they reeled you in hook, line and sinker!”

I’ve had therapy several times in my life for different reasons, but none as intense as this time while trying to overcome PTSD. I don’t think therapy is magic and it always takes a great amount of work by the patient. Without the patient FOLLOWING THROUGH with the advice, making a decision or using the new skills that have been taught, therapy means nothing. People can say they have been to therapy, but without a willingness to follow through with the hard choices, it is pointless to have wasted the time spent in an appointment.

I personally know people who go to therapy and:

• * lie
  • * won’t admit they have a problem
  • * won’t make a decision
  • * recognize the problem, but won’t change
  • * quit therapy when it gets hard and painful

In order for therapy to be helpful and productive, people have to be willing to change and/or incorporate new skills in their life.

The therapist also makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of the therapy. Just like store clerks or chefs, there are great therapists, good therapists and lousy therapists. Spending time researching therapists is well worth the effort.

{{{LOTS of hugsss}}}

Peace out!

17 Susanne October 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Point well taken…lol. No arguments here, only hugs back!

P.O.

18 Sherry Riter October 24, 2012 at 6:55 am

LOL :D

19 Susanne October 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I have changed so much, so many times, that some of my current problems stem from just that…too much change. So, for now I’m to continue to put in the hard work and incorporate a new skill into my world. ACCEPTANCE! Maybe that is one of the wisest thing a therapist has suggested.

Can’t hurt?! I wish us happy!

20 Sherry Riter October 24, 2012 at 6:57 am

Can’t hurt? Well, it depends on what you are “accepting”. Are you at your full potential? Are you happy? Will this bring you joy in the future?

I wish us all LOTS of happiness!!!!

:D

21 Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) October 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

“You can MAKE someone go to therapy, but that will not help them if they are not willing to open up and change. In the end, therapy can only help those who are willing to help themselves.”

Thanks for this exhaustive list, and thanks for TALKING about preserving mental health. There are lots of trained therapists out there who can help; I wish more ppl would take advantage of the insurance benefits they are already paying for! Much love, Kathy

22 Sherry Riter October 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

:D I think mental health is JUST as IMPORTANT as physical health! God bless my brain! LOL {{{hugsss to ALL therapists!}}}