Top 10 Reasons To Be Happy
Sometimes we all get stuck in a rut and need a gentle reminder to pull us out. I think that this list will help if you are grasping for a reason to be happy today. Believe me, I know what it is like to hold onto each minute and wish that something would change before the next minute appeared. Contemplate each item in the list. By the time you get to the end, you’ll have to admit that you found it to be full of truth.
- You were born. – I know you don’t remember being born! Regardless of the fact that your family said they found you under a rock, I KNOW you were born. If you are having any doubts about this one, just trust me. I promise, you were born and it was a FANTASTIC event.
- You have a body. – What? You want me to go there? Okay, I wanted to say it anyway. Your body may not look like a model on the front of a magazine (Glamour or Men’s Health), but it doesn’t matter. You don’t have to look a certain way in order to be loved. Do you remember the movie E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial? Doesn’t everyone still love E.T.? Alrighty then! “I rest my case,” she said in her best Perry Mason imitation.
- You can breathe. – Seriously! Hold your breath for three minutes and then tell me how happy you are that you can breathe. So start holding your breathe now and read the rest of this post…then breathe. I want to know how happy you are that you can breathe ox-y-gen.
- You are growing older. – I most definitely did say to be happy that you are getting older. Aging with all the wrinkles, gray hair and saggy baggies are wonderful gifts. So many people do not make it to “old age” and if you’re there, not only are you smarter now than you’ve ever been, but you are more beautiful/handsome. You can quote me – “Insides make the outsides.” I’ve met some beautiful/handsome people and after I get to know them, they become the ugliest people I’ve ever seen. So say it with me, I am so happy that I’m getting older AND better!
- You can read. – Yep, I also know you can read because you are reading this post and it is giving you happy feelings! You’re sitting at work, about to go to a meeting, but you had a few minutes so you’re reading this post and getting warm fuzzies. I think I can see you just like that Romper Room lady used to see us. Now you’re smiling.
- You are beautiful/handsome. – I say this all the time and people just roll their eyes at me. You are an original and it doesn’t get any better than THE original. Let me put it in perspective for you – Would you like me to send you a calendar with copies of paintings by Vincent van Gogh and Monet, or would you like me to mail you an original painting by one of those gentlemen? I can’t hear you? What did you say? Uh huh! That’s what I thought you would say.
- You are talented. – Yes, you are an original mixture of many talents and each day you express yourself using those talents. If anyone rejects to this one, speak up.
(A young woman’s voice can be heard) “I stay home all day with small children and I have no talents!”
Of course you have talents! You are growing little human beings and that takes a lot of talent! Your masterpiece will emerge into an accomplish young man or woman. To keep a household running, you have to successfully accomplish hundreds of tasks each day. Now pat yourself on the back and never again think that you don’t have talent! Anyone else?
(An older man’s voice can be heard) “I’m retired. My career is over and I have nothing left to offer the world.”
You have a wealth of knowledge and so many skills that others are now only dreaming of having some day. Not only are you an asset to your family, but you can also add value to the community by starting a part-time mentoring business, volunteering at the hospital or becoming a tutor for children at school. There are so many things you can do to enrich the lives of others! Only you can deliver your unique set of talents and personality.
So remember, you are talented.
- You can laugh. – I love smiling and laughing which is precisely why I post the Chuckle of the Day. Remember the old saying that Laughter is the best medicine. Laughing makes you feel better! Cows may say, “Eat more chicken,” but I say, “Laugh more!” Go ahead and laugh right now for no reason. Laugh loud!
- You are loved. – That is rather self-explanatory. There are people on this planet that love and care about you. Doesn’t that cause a smile to creep onto your lips and pull them towards your cheeks?
- You have access to the Internet. – I’m going to assume that the Internet brings you happiness and that’s why you are using it all the time. You’re either doing a job on it or you are socially active on networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ or a million other places. The Internet is a valuable tool and makes so many tasks in life super easy and fun. Happiness definitely is the Internet.
So to recap: There are 10 basic reasons that we all can be happy. You may not be happy ALL the time because it seems to ebb and flow with life, but happiness is not elusive. By making a concerted effort, YOU can be happy! Just keep having those self-talk sessions and eventually you will believe this list of 10 reasons to be happy.
Okay, now you can breathe again. Sooooo…are you happy you can breathe?