Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes For Breakfast, Lunch Or Dinner

by Sherry Riter in Cooking  ,Food,Recipe,Vegetable

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes9

Southern Country Fried Potatoes was a standard for my farming ancestors. Potatoes were a basic crop and a cheap way to keep a large family fed, so they served potatoes often and in many forms at mealtime. Of course, we all know that potatoes are loaded with carbohydrates and when processed by the body, they are turned into sugar which makes them a big no-no for diets and diabetics.

I don’t use lard to cook my potatoes, nor do I drown them with salt, so this Southern Country Fried Potatoes recipe isn’t as unhealthy as the artery clogging recipe of my relatives. It is very delicious even without the lard! Actually, whenever I think Alyssa is starting to look too thin, I just make these potatoes a couple times a week to add a few pounds to her slender frame. She still hasn’t figure out my little trick. LOL

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes Recipe

Start with about ten russett potatoes. Scrub then clean under cold water.

Brown Southern Country Fried Potatoes1

Sliced Southern Country Fried Potatoes2

Southern Country Fried Potatoes Sliced3

Add a thin layer of olive oil to a frying pan. You don’t need much! Just add enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the potatoes to the pan and flip them all until they are coated with the oil.

OliveOil Southern Country Fried Potatoes4

Add salt and pepper to taste. I’m heavy on the pepper and light on the salt. Make sure you think about who is going to be eating this dish before you add too much of either spice.

Southern Country Fried Potatoes Seasoned6

Cook uncovered on medium until potatoes are tender and brown.

Southern Country Fried Potatoes 7

Yum-my!

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes8

Aren’t the Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes just beautifully delicious?

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes9

Oh! You haven’t tasted them yet?

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes10

Well, why didn’t you come over and help me cook?!!!

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes11

I could use some help in the kitchen, ya know.

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes12

Obviously, Alyssa isn’t in the kitchen helping me which is precisely why I am trying to record all the recipes I have served over the years. With her finicky tastes, I learned quite a few little tricks to ensure she ate the right kinds of food AND didn’t get too skinny. Wouldn’t you love having THAT problem? (rolling eyes)

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes13

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes are delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes14

As the bite of food hits your mouth, the sweet flavor of the potato spreads lovingly over your tongue.

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes15

I love the texture of the potatoes when they are cooked this way.

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes16

There isn’t anything as wonderful as a warm breakfast with a side of Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes first thing in the morning. Hmmmm…well, maybe I shouldn’t say “anything.” ;) This dish can really put a smile on my face and obviously, it is very easy to prepare.

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes17

(chewing a big bite of Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes)

This is so yummy ya’ll, so you definitely need to try it!

Hey! Bring back that plate of Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes! I meant for you to try cooking them yourself, not taking the potatoes that I have cooked!

Where are the food police when you need them?!

Come ba-a-a-a-a-ack!

Basic Southern Country Fried Potatoes

Ingredients:

10 russet potatoes, sliced
6-7 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black peeper

Directions:

Start with about ten russett potatoes. Scrub then clean under cold water. Slice all the potatoes about the same medium thickness to ensure they all are finished cooking about the same time. Don’t peel off the skins. They add texture, vitamins and yumminess to the finished dish.

Cook uncovered on medium until potatoes are tender and brown.

Serve alone or as a side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sherry Riter, also known as The Redhead Riter. Sherry is witty, intelligent and addictive as she writes about cooking, family, marriage, failures, blogging tips, art, humor, inspiration, travel, PTSD and aging. Her goal is to inspire, motivate, educate and to make her audience laugh. Sherry embraces being a redhead and helps others to see the redhead point of view…"In some eras redheads were worshipped while others thought us witches. Personally, I like the former and think every day is 'Love a redhead day!'" She can also be found on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Linkedin, tweeting as @TheRedheadRiter and you can subscribe to her free blog feed.

Stéfan May 24, 2012 at 8:46 am

I LOVE potatoes. Yum, yum, yum.

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Mmmmm…..me too. I even love the way it sounds…pooooooe-taaaaa-tooooooe LOL

andy May 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

I don’t like you. Not at all. You just made me crave for some of this yummy stuff with your good post. Not fair :D

Have an awesome day Sherry

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm

LOL You’re so silly!

Well, obviously, if you are craving these yummy potatoes, you know how to cook them!!! :P

I hope you had a great day!

homemaker-mom.com May 24, 2012 at 10:21 am

Ok now this looks amazing. Great job! I will be trying this,,,, this WEEK! Looks so simple!

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

It IS so simple and simply delicious.

By the way, if you over eat this weekend, it isn’t my fault. LOL

Skip_D May 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Back up North, we called those “home fries.” My mother often fried some sliced onions with them, & would use bacon grease instead of lard, but otherwise they’re pretty much the same, & I agree – yummy!!! I’m going to have to make some to serve with my scrapple Saturday morning! You’re welcome to drop over & have some! :)

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Ugh Skip!!! Scrapple! *blech* Did you know that scrapple isn’t good for you? LOL I think I will pass up Saturday’s meal :P

Carol May 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I’ve never had scrapple but I loved my mom’s fried livermush. She was from Hickory, NC…you can only find it in western NC. I think it has been designated North Carolina’s worst (healthwise) food, but it’s tasty (cornmeal and sage and other stuff I don’t want to read about).

The Redhead Riter May 30, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Scrapple is typically made of the internal organs and entrails of a butchered hog. It includes such things as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings. These are boiled with bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. This, my friend, is what you eat. LOL

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I changed to threaded comments and I like it!!!! LOL

Katherines Corner May 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

How wonderful that you would make one of my favorite things!!! These look absolutely drool worthy sweetie. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop and for your bloggy friendship xo

The Redhead Riter May 28, 2012 at 5:45 am

Thanks Katherine! It’s hard to beat a potato, ya know?

It’s always my pleasure to hop over. Thanks for sending me the reminder email!

Katherines Corner May 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

P.S. what are threaded comments?

The Redhead Riter May 28, 2012 at 5:47 am

When I respond back to you, my comment is slightly indented and directly under your comment. Someone else or you could comment on what I say and then the comment would still be under your original comment. It saves you having to scan all the comments to see if anyone spoke directly to you in their comment. Did that make sense?

Onisha May 28, 2012 at 3:17 pm

When my older brothers were in school, my mom would make these potatoes with a small steak as a treat for her and I. Your recipe brought back some sweet memories.

The Redhead Riter May 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

Awwwwww…I’m glad that you have those wonderful memories. I do too with this recipe. My mother and grandmother made them so many times and I can remember all our happy times together.

Carol May 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh my goodness…my husband taught me to make these with lots of onions and browned ground beef, which we topped with ketchup and ate a whole plate full. His family called it “Missouri Fries”. Talk about comfort food! My dad used to fix them with onions and little hot peppers that he grew. The plant grew in a little clay pot on his patio and had tiny red, yellow and green peppers on it. He was only allowed to use “his” (burnt, warped) frying pan (he only cooked on HI). Thank you for the sweet memories. However, if you add onions and fresh garlic you can make it more nutricious. Always wait ten or fifteen minutes after crushing or chopping garlic, so the allicin can form, before adding it to the pan. Adding red bell peppers or hot peppers would be even more beneficial. I’m getting carried away…I have to tell you…I found your blog accidently awhile back when I googled “health benefits of red bell peppers”…it led me to your chicken recipe and your lovely blog. And I return to it often…for you are a lovely blogger!

The Redhead Riter May 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thank you Carol for your suggestions and memories. Funny how so many memories for all of us are linked with food.

I’m so glad you found my blog and that your return often! Thank you!!! I’m glad to have you here. :)

laura thomas June 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I tried your recipe. Delicious! If it involves a potato, I will eat it. I love them. Yours tasted better than mine. Going to cook up a big batch to take to my sisters next weekend. Yum Yum:)

The Redhead Riter June 3, 2012 at 4:21 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! :)