Performing the tasks required to make the vehicle get from point A to point B should be the most important things you do while driving. Even though many states have laws banning the use of cell phones while driving, there are so many other things people do other than remaining focused on the most important task at hand.
Unfortunately, I am guilty of believing that multi-tasking is an efficient use of time. If truth be told, I really don’t like driving unless no one else is on the road. Driving defensively in order to avoid the consequences of other people’s choices is not fun. Really! Just think about it for a minute.
Since driving is unavoidable, I have spent many years observing the things people do while driving. I can hear all the fitness buffs and eco-friendly people say, “Ride your bicycle.” Let me snuff that one out really quickly. No. I can not even imagine trying to pedal to work each morning. I’d have to get up at midnight in order to get there in time. The bicycle idea is vehemently thrown into the circular file.
Anyway, I haven’t been THAT bad while driving. Okay, maybe I was rather bad when I was in my 20’s, but after Alyssa was born I changed my wicked ways! As the bumper sticker states, I had “A Baby On Board” and I believed her safety to be my responsibility. Her birth marked the beginning of my motherhood and my new role of defensive driver.
So the key in being a good driver is focusing on the task of driving and always being alert to the actions of other drivers. Everyone doesn’t follow that line of thinking, so people continue to do the craziest things while behind the wheel of their automobiles.
51 CRAZY Things People Do While Driving
In no particular order, let me shed the light on some of the craziest things people do while driving. Some of the things on the list are seriously crazy because they are so unsafe! Some of these crazy things have not been witnessed by me and I have only heard second hand. Of course, we all have seen #1 and been equally grossed out. If you are an offender of #1, please don’t tell me!
- Pick nose – Yes, we see you.
- Eat a full meal – Cereal with milk? Really?
- Fist pump to the music
- Solve the Rubik’s cube
- File fingernails
- Color with a box of 64 Crayolas
- Dress, undress or redress
- Wave a gun around like a madman
- Paint fingernails
- Talk to a mannequin head sitting in the passenger seat
- Dance enthusiastically
- Read a book
- Brush teeth with toothpaste and a glass of water
- Clip toenails
- Shave face with an electric razor
- Do homework
- Text – Yes! It is crazy to do this while driving!
- Drink alcohol
- Put contacts in eyes
- Tweeze eyebrows
- Blow dry hair by using the heat vents
- Play Barbies with child in the front seat
- Shave face with a razor blade AND shaving cream
- Floss teeth
- Have the left foot hang out the driver’s window
- Put on makeup including mascara
- Have various forms of sex – No, I’m not going to elaborate. Use your imagination!
- Brush hair and spray it with hair spray
- Clean the dashboard and windows
- Smoke pot with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open while driving past the police station
- Snap pictures with a camera
- Urinate in a cup
- Put hair rollers in hair
- Read the newspaper with it stretched out over the steering wheel
- Pretend to play the drums on the steering wheel
- Steer with knees
- Record a video
- Cut her own hair
- Pet a cat laying between the steering wheel and the windshield
- Pass food to the kid who was laying in the back window
- Lean to one side while having both feet on the dashboard
- Pop pimples – I know! That’s just so gross!
- Knit. Yes, knitting with yarn.
- Passionately kiss with eyes CLOSED
- Arm around a plastic doll
- Type on laptop
- Feed a baby a bottle. Mother driving and baby in the back seat.
- Talk on two cell phones at one time
- Let a large bird stand on the steering wheel
- Exercise with hand weights
Unfortunately, people believe that the car is an extension of their home which is why they perform the above tasks while driving. Doing anything on the list is totally crazy because it is UNSAFE. Well, the first one isn’t as unsafe for the driver as it is for everyone else that has to see it. But in all seriousness, as funny as the list appears, doing anything other than focusing on driving is not only crazy, but extremely dangerous.
Up until a few years ago, I believed that I could multi-task while driving. I now know it was a false belief. Driving needs 100 percent of our focus ALL the time. One of the magnificent seven told me last week that, “Driving a motorcycle requires more attention than driving in a car.” I totally understood his logic. Motorcycle drivers are completely exposed and extremely vulnerable compared to a driver surrounded by the metal of an automobile. The more I thought I about what he said, the more convinced I am that drivers of automobiles should be as vigilant at being focused on driving as motorcycle operators.
I’ve personally seen people do about two thirds of the things on the list of 51 CRAZY Things People Do While Driving. Let’s all laugh at the list, but when we get behind the wheel of our automobiles, let’s stay focused on driving and ONLY driving. Did you think of things not on the list? What kind of crazy things have you seen people do while driving?