The Truth About Paraffin Wax Candles – Are They Toxic?

by Sherry Riter in Health,Product

paraffin wax candle

One day Alyssa came home and said, “Don’t ever burn another candle unless it is soy.” Being an avid candle burner, I looked at her like she was an alien from another planet. She swiftly defended her statement.

“Mom, I’m serious. Today I learned that candles like we buy are really bad and they are going to kill us.”

“Where did you learn this, Alyssa?” I calmly asked almost knowing what her answer would be because lately she keeps bringing home an abundance of this type of information.

“The ladies at work. You know they are very into the natural and organic stuff,” she replied matter-of-factly.

Without saying a word, I thought, “Ohhhhhh, THOSE women!” I’m pretty sure that the women at Alyssa’s job have no idea how they are changing our lives. Alyssa takes every one of their tips to heart and wears me down until I comply.

“Okay, tell me why I should not burn paraffin wax candles.”

At a rate of about five million words a minute, Alyssa proceeded to tell me all the reasons that we were never going to burn another paraffin wax candle.  After her presentation, because it was a full blown presentation, she had convinced me that I needed to look into this matter further.  Of course, what I have learned, I’m going to share with you.

The research facts can be found by downloading the document at the Environmental Protection Agency website, but since it is rather long and I have read it all (yes, I read the WHOLE document), I’m going to post a few of the key points that I think will pique your interest.

What Is Paraffin Wax, Soy Wax And Beeswax?

Candles are made from many products, but predominantly paraffin wax is the most common. Paraffin wax is a petroleum by-product that is created from the sludge waste when crude oil is refined into gasoline. Sounds a bit gross.

There are also soy wax candles which are made from the oil of soybeans, so it is a vegetable wax. Soy wax is a renewable resource. Most of the world’s soy beans are primarily grown in Illinois, Iowa, and Indiana. Soy wax candles burn slower and not as hot as paraffin wax candles . Actually, soy wax candles burn up to 30 to 50 percent longer.

Another type of candle that is a renewable resource is made from beeswax. Obviously, beeswax is made by honeybees. The wax is a secretion from the glands on the underside of their abdomens and is used for the construction of the honeycomb. That’s kind of gross sounding too if you don’t like bugs, but at least it is natural and clean. Besides, there are not many things more beautiful than a honeycomb, you know? Anyway, the beeswax candles last up to three times longer than paraffin wax candles and twice as long as soy candles of the same size.

honeycomb

The Facts About Paraffin Wax Candles

From the United States Environmental Protection Agency Research and Development in the January 2001 article titled, “Candles and Incense as Potential Sources of Indoor Air Pollution: Market Analysis and Literature Review,” I learned that “most” manufacturers in the United States have agreed not to use lead in the wicks of candles. “Most” bothered me. What bothered me even more is that 34.8 percent and 13.4 percent of candles imported are from China and Hong Kong respectively where the rules and regulations do not include strict adherence to the same standards as United States candle manufacturers. That is just a nice way of saying that there are many toxic substances in candles imported from China and Hong Kong.

According to the EPA’s research, “Candles with lead wicks have the potential to generate indoor airborne lead concentrations of health concern. It is also possible for consumers to unknowingly purchase candles containing lead wick cores and repeatedly expose themselves to harmful amounts of lead through regular candle-burning.”

They also go on to say that regardless of the lack of lead, burning several candles exceeded the EPA’s standards and posed an increased risk for cancer because of the acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, toluene, benzene and acrolein levels. All those chemicals, along with many others are not healthy or good for our bodies and most especially our lungs.

Paraffin wax candles also produce soot – that black stuff caused from the flickering flame. “When soot is airborne, it is subject to inhalation. The particles can potentially penetrate the deepest areas of the lungs, the lower respiratory tract and alveoli (Krause, 1999).” Alrighty then! That pretty much scared me because I truly value the fragility of lung tissue after watching my great grandfather, Daddy Cecil, die of emphysema.

Not only are people with asthma more susceptible to the effects of burning paraffin wax candles, but also the elderly and children. Science has proven that a child’s tiny body is negatively affected by chronic low-level lead exposure. Burning paraffin wax candles that contain lead wicks is definitely in the category of low-level lead exposure.

Low-level exposure to lead mainly affects the central nervous system and can cause:

• neurobehavioral changes
  • hypertension
  • kidney disease
  • increased depression
  • phobic anxiety symptoms
  • mood and personality changes
  • irritability
  • aggressiveness
  • changes in sleep patterns
  • hyperactivity
  • learning difficulties
  • difficulty concentrating
  • memory loss
  • lethargy
  • loss of appetite
  • difficulty breathing

Are you looking at those candles sitting on the shelves of your home a little differently now?

How To Set The Mood Without Paraffin Wax Candles

Obviously, I love candles especially when I’m trying to relax. As much as I have initially bucked against all the changes that Alyssa has introduced to me because of the women at her work, I am actually thankful for the information and have incorporated most of it into our home.

I still have a few paraffin wax candles left, but I haven’t lit them since I read about the harmful effects they can cause to my body. The part about penetrating the deepest areas of the lungs with harmful chemicals just doesn’t thrill me much, so the candles just sit and look like pretty colored globs in glass containers. (rolling eyes)

Soy and beeswax candles are wonderful alternatives to lighting paraffin wax candles.

Think about it…is that tiny flickering paraffin wax flame really worth the risk to your health? Maybe it is time for a change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sherry Riter, also known as The Redhead Riter. Sherry is witty, intelligent and addictive as she writes about cooking, family, marriage, failures, blogging tips, art, humor, inspiration, travel, PTSD and aging. Her goal is to inspire, motivate, educate and to make her audience laugh. Sherry embraces being a redhead and helps others to see the redhead point of view…"In some eras redheads were worshipped while others thought us witches. Personally, I like the former and think every day is 'Love a redhead day!'" She can also be found on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Linkedin, tweeting as @TheRedheadRiter and you can subscribe to her free blog feed.

1 Carol March 27, 2012 at 12:24 am

Oh my…factor in the fire hazard concerns and those battery powered candles are begnning to look good.

2 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 1:37 am

Yep, Carol. Obviously, all that information completely changed my mind. :)

3 Virginia Llorca March 27, 2012 at 4:10 am

Help. I cant make the sharing work and ihave alll thoose candles everryday &. Symptoms galore.

4 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 7:13 am

Virginia, All you have to do is click one of the options on the sharing bar, let it connect to your account and then another box will pop up allowing you to share. You can change what is already written in the share message too. Does that help?

5 Stéfan March 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

Great post. I stopped burning paraffin candles years ago for these reasons. Thanks for sharing.

6 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

Years ago Stéfan? Then why didn’t you tell me to stop?! LOL ;)

7 Sarah Lawrence Hinson March 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Great information, thanks!

I started using soy candles about a month a go, but didn’t have all this info to hand…just we live in a duplex where whatever I’ve cooked seems to hang in the air and candles + oils clear it.

Will be sharing this article – more people need to know about this (by the way Febreze is also REALLY bad for you…read about that a little while ago…it’s especially aggravating for people with asthma and breathing difficulties – I stick to natural oil cleaners in my house).

Cheers
Sarah
A Mom On A Spiritual Journey

8 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Sarah,

Yes, I read all about the cleaning products and the ones that are made just to cover up odors. They are all adding chemicals to our air and are not good for our lungs. I actually try to open my windows and let the air rush through at least once a day to refresh the air. It seems to help.

I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing it with others!

9 Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) March 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Woah – I always wondered what the scoop was on the beeswax, soy, paraffin candles.

ty for condensing it for me!

10 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Glad I could help, Kathy!

11 Skip_D March 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks as always for your clear distillation of a lot of information into a precise, clear statement of facts. It’s good that we can discriminate between safe & harmful wax, & at least hope that the wicks are lead-free.

When I lived in Ethiopia, I got used to hand-made beeswax candles. On top of their warm color, they smell wonderful!

12 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Skip,

Thank you.

I need to find a good source of beeswax candles around here. I would like to have candles that are made from local honey. Surely there has to be some benefit from that because I know eating local honey is great for helping with allergies. Don’t you just love the honeycombs?!!!

13 Skip_D March 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Yes, honeycombs are great! I love honey, & wish I could keep bees! I’m fortunate to have a local honey supplier a block (yes, *1* block!) from my apartment! I think they have candles for sale too… & I may see if I can get wax & dip my own! :)

14 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

That sounds fun and how lucky are you to have local honey soooooo close!!! I made candles when I was a teen, but I don’t remember a thing we did. LOL

15 Carol March 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I was rereading this post and noticed the comment about Febreeze. My dog’s groomer told me that even though it is advertised for use on bedding, particularily where pets lie, many pets are allergic to it. My springer has recently developed an allergy to something and I’ve stopped using air fresheners too. I never thought about all that perfume being spritzed at her, everytime she walked by, until now.

Love what you’re doing here…I find myself checking in every day now!

16 The Redhead Riter March 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I’m so glad you visit every day! Thank you very much.

I haven’t used air freshener for a long time because of my allergies. They are just too strong and I knew they couldn’t be good for us either. I’m so glad Alyssa tells me all this stuff. LOL

17 mom March 28, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Well daughter, I am not going to give up everything in life because you prove I am going to die. The other candles hurt my purse. I love Yankee Candles! LOL

Today you told me that you wanted me to give up my only vice – Coke. I’ve got to die sometime of something! LOL

mom

18 The Redhead Riter March 29, 2012 at 1:50 am

Mother,

You drive me nuts LOL

Of course you have to die, but you don’t have to hasten it!

Quit using those candles and stop drinking the Coke. LOL LOL LOL

19 katlupe March 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I don’t burn candles at all presently. In an emergency, I have homemade ones that are made with beeswax (which comes from local bees). This is good information for you to share. I think you are probably glad that your daughter made you aware of this issue with the paraffin candles. Especially since you have health issues of your own. Better to be safe than sorry.

20 The Redhead Riter March 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Katlupe,

Yep! I sure am glad she told me and we aren’t going to do the paraffin wax kind any more. Why doesn’t it surprise me that you use locally made beeswax candles? ;)

21 Jo Evans July 25, 2012 at 10:05 am

We have a neighbour who makes barbecues in his very small garden from old oil drums which he burns with paraffin to clean them. He then cooks burgers to sell to the public. If our windows are open, the paraffin smell permeates through the house making us very sick and head achey and causes breathing difficulties. My husband also suffers with migraines which have increased since we have lived in this house and seem aggravated by the smell. We are both in our seventies. The local Council has not taken any notice of our claims. Can you tell me what health disorders this is likely to cause.
Jo Evans (Mrs)

22 The Redhead Riter July 26, 2012 at 8:54 am

Ewwwww! That sounds terrible! I would think that smelling the fumes from his barrels would cause the same effects as burning the candles. Of course, if it is super strong, I would think it is even worse than the candles. I’m sorry! Surely your city council can help. Don’t give up!

23 CandleMaker December 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Hi,
I own a small candle company. We hand make our own candles from paraffin wax and use lead free wicks. I don’t think paraffin wax is bad nor has it been proven. Based on the EPA recommendation it states the products that are shipped in from China. Soybeans are hydroginally manufactured and have chemicals in them as well that have been approved by the EPA. A lot of the EPA officials are from companies that manufacture soybeans, hence the promotion of soy. Soy isn’t as ‘natural’ as some would want.

24 Sherry Riter December 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

The fact still remains that paraffin wax is a petroleum by-product that is created from the sludge waste when crude oil is refined into gasoline.

I just prefer not to have that floating around me if I can help it.

25 John Chandler December 31, 2012 at 6:16 am

Hi from Germany!

I believe this is all scaremongering as there as many websites saying paraffin wax candles are fine as there are saying that they are not.

For example the NCA (National Candle Association – http://www.candles.org) say that the amount of toxins/soot produced by candles made from other waxes is no less harmful than those made from paraffin wax. OK, so maybe they are biased.

There are so many other places paraffin that wax is used that one would have to a have a complete change of lifestyle to avoid it. It is used in:

o Cooking and sweet preparation
o To make fruit (apples, etc.) appear shiny and more appealing
o Wax used for removing leg hair (!!)
o Wrapping cheese (Dutch Edam is a good example)

plus many more to numerous to mention.

A properly trimmed candle should produce no smoke/soot at all. Even when it does, unless it is smoking continuously then the amount of soot it produces is substantially less than you would inhale walking to the store to buy your soy/beeswax alternatives.

Anyway, I think it’s up to the individual to decide, but the evidence/research/information shows that on balance there is precious little difference between burning paraffin wax/other wax. There are so many other places that paraffin wax is “hidden” that it is difficult to avoid.

Happy New Year!

26 Sherry Riter December 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for you opinion John. I’m glad that you admitted that the NCA was biased. LOL ;)

Paraffin wax is created as a byproduct of petroleum sludge, treated with carcinogenic chemicals and even after processing it still contains up to 11 toxic compounds and chemicals. Two of those toxic substances are benzene and toluene.

Beeswax candles, however, is an all natural product with no additives or fillers. It’s non-toxic and clean burning.

Even from a lay person’s point of view, with all the chemicals in paraffin wax it seems obvious that breathing it all into my lungs could prove quite harmful.

As far as the wax being used on other things, well, I try to use as much natural/organic things as possible. I’ve slowly been changing more and more habits as well as eliminating products with lots of chemicals. My new motto – Less is more. So I’ve downsized, eliminated and am working on being an all around healthier me in a healthier environment. Yes, it has been a total lifestyle change. After my allergy diagnosis (grain allergy) it was yet another huge change, but life is change. Right?

I hope you have a marvelous New Year filled with good health and happiness!!! :D

27 Lizzy January 18, 2013 at 2:25 am

This is great information. Thank you so much for researching and posting about it. I’m looking into the toxicity of fragrance oils because I really have no idea what’s in them, but had heard that they, too, are usually petroleum based. I am creating my own line of aromatherapy vegetable wax candles and I use only pure essential oils. It’s challenging, because EO’s can be very expensive, but they have great therapeutic properties that the fragrance oils don’t. Wish me luck :)

28 Sherry Riter January 18, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh yes! I do wish you luck! When you start selling, make sure you come back and tell me. I would love to try them! :D

29 Jim Senier January 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

The statement that paraffin is made from the “sludge of the refinery process” is an absolute lie. Can anybody really believe that a product certified by the FDA for use in and on food would contain benzine? Pure paraffin is used in many food and pharmaceutical applications. The beeswax for making candles is not purified and is certainly not approved of use in food. The purified food grade beeswax is white and completely odorless, like the food grade paraffin.
When the pure paraffin is made into a candle and burned the combustion products are carbon dioxide and water. There are no toxic chemicals present because they were removed during the purification process. The same cannot be said for beeswax.
North American candle makers use this grade of paraffin for their candles. Offshore manufactures often use crude paraffin to make their candles. That wax contains many toxins and solvents and should never be made into a candle. Those candles should be banned in North America. Not only are they toxic but they are a fire hazard because they can flash up like burning grease because of the solvents present.
I make pillar candles from pure food grade paraffin wax. I sell them to gourmet restaurants who are very fussy about having extra odors in their restaurants when food is being served. I have a large following of people who have allergies and cannot burn scented or even beeswax candles without getting headaches. They can burn mine without any problems.
ALL candles produce soot when they burn. Soot is carbon. When a candle burns the carbon in the wax combines with oxygen to make carbon dioxide. The hydrogen combines with the oxygen to make water. There is not enough oxygen to burn all the carbon immediately so it heats up to 2000 degrees and glows bright yellow. That is the flame.
Pure paraffin burns with the cleanest and brightest flame because it is a pure aliphatic compound that has no double bonds between the carbon atoms. Because of this there is more hydrogen available which burns the carbon more fully producing a bright clean flame.
Beeswax and vegetable wax contain chemicals known as aromatics that contain double bonds that give them their odor but also lead to a higher ratio of carbon to hydrogen. As a result they burn with a duller flame and produce more soot. They also produce other chemicals when they burn which can leave a heavy odor in the air. Scented candles contain even more aromatics and produce even more soot. It is these chemicals that affect people’s allergies. Men seem to be more affected than women by these chemicals which is probably why they are rarely seen at candle parties.
The bottom line is that a paraffin candle made from purified wax is the best for your health and your ceiling and walls.

30 Sherry Riter January 22, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Jim,

Thank you for your comment and point of view!

Paraffin = a product of petroleum refining = crude oil, thus the reason I called it sludge of the refinery process.

Paraffin is a crude oil derivative.

A lower grade paraffin is commonly used for manufacturing candles and does release harmful chemicals in the air such as acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, toluene, benzene and acrolein and they have all been shown to cause cancer.

Purified paraffin in its “purest” form is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in food, cosmetics, and medical applications. Do you honestly believe that the majority of candles sold in the USA are made from purified paraffin or that the wicks are always lead free? No. Don’t forget that 34.8 percent and 13.4 percent of candles imported are from China and Hong Kong respectively where the rules and regulations do not include strict adherence to the same standards as United States candle manufacturers per the United States Environmental Protection Agency Research and Development. Yes, it is the same thing I said in my post.

Paraffin wax candles produce A LOT more soot than a beeswax candle. Soot inhalation has known health hazards, so I keep the wicks trimmed on my beeswax candles and get almost ZERO soot.

When you wrote, “Can anybody really believe that a product certified by the FDA for use in and on food would contain…” I just stared. I do not have that much faith in the FDA. Period. I know that many things the FDA has said are “safe” turn out not to be safe at all. So to answer your question, yes, I do believe that the FDA allows things in our environment, food and other products that cause us harm. Furthermore, when they make a mistake, they try to hide it or ignore it. I won’t even get going on my thoughts of the FDA’s ethics or lack of ethics AND all their secrets.

A “pure” paraffin candle is still a petroleum based candle. Beeswax candles without any fragrances added are totally natural. So if the choice is a petroleum based candle (that may not burn as bright per your explanation) or one produced by buzzing bees, I’m always going to choose beeswax candles because they are the most natural product.

By the way, I can’t do candle parties either. The strong fragrances kill me. Same thing happens if I linger too long in the fabric store. All the dyes and chemicals really get to me – eyes water, lungs ache and head starts to pound. I’m really trying to have the most natural things in my environment. Now that I have a grain allergy, I’m also eating EXTREMELY healthy too. All that coupled with my very low blood pressure (80/60) may mean that I live to be 1,000. LOL ;)

31 Roberta March 15, 2013 at 9:39 am

I totally agree. I’ve been burning paraffin candles for YEARS and have been making paraffin candles for about 10 years. I use food grade paraffin. My candles do not smoke unless I don’t keep the wicks trimmed, but any candle will smoke if you don’t trim the wick…including soy. My wicks are lead-free (fyi: Lead wicks have been banned in the US). I just think this is all a bunch of “hype”. Check out the National Candle Associations website – they compare paraffin, soy and beeswax and they VERY CLEARLY STATE THAT PARAFFIN WAX IS NOT DANGEROUS OR AN INFERIOR WAX! I know folks will believe what they want to believe, but I encourage you to do your own reading and not just jump on the “paraffin is bad” bandwagon because someone tells you it’s bad.

32 Sherry Riter March 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Roberta for your opinion!

33 Eliaopoq July 5, 2013 at 3:19 am

From what I’ve read, most of your reasons why paraffin candles are bad are from burning lead wicks. What’s the correlation between lead wicks and parrafin candles? You can use lead wicks for soy and beeswax candles as well. And you can use cotton wicks for parrafin candles.

34 Sherry Riter July 5, 2013 at 8:15 am

My post pointed out “that regardless of the lack of lead, burning several candles exceeded the EPA’s standards and posed an increased risk for cancer because of the acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, toluene, benzene and acrolein levels.” For my own use, I would prefer NOT to burn anything that will add cetaldehyde, formaldehyde, toluene, benzene and acrolein to the air that I breathe whether it is above or below “accepted” EPA levels. It is an individual choice for everyone. :D

35 Sheryl July 31, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Jim, I agree with your facts. Bottom line is if you burn any candle there will be soot and with dyes and scents added there will be slightly more soot released no matter paraffin or soy. I also sell candles and let my customers know the facts about all waxes, wicks, dyes & scents and how they can affect the burn and create soot. Maybe 10% choose unscented and dye free and mostly because they are for men. Regarding candles coming from other countries, that’s why we’re in business….buy American made products.

36 Sherry Riter August 3, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thank you for your comment, Sheryl.

Definitely buy American made products! I’ve been trying to do that with everything lately. The first thing I do is look at the tag to see the “made in” tag.

37 Bob Mitchell August 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

Sherry,

I am a little bit confused by the article. Candles generally contain a wax and a wick. Most of your article is focused on the need to avoid wicks that contain lead. Wouldn’t a leaded wick in a soy or a beeswax candle have the same health impacts as a leaded wick in a paraffin candle. Why do you seem to be lumping leaded wicks with paraffin candles?

I would find your article to clearer if you explained the types of wicks and the health impacts of leaded wicks as well as the choice of waxes and the health risks of each type of wax.

And, by the way, is there a reputable scientific study that has looked at the health impacts of soy wax? I doubt it, since they are not yet in widespread use. If we are going to look at things scientifically to inform consumer choice, then we really should subject all the choices to the same level of scientific rigor, like Consumer Reports tries to do. There is a simplistic and erroneous assumption that products derived from ‘natural’ sources are not as bad for us as products derived from ‘unnatural’ sources. There are many poisonous plants and animals in their natural state that are not good for us. There are many ways to create a harmful product from a natural product by processing it in some way — for example, heat any vegetable oil up on your stove until it hits its smoke point, and you have changed its nutritional value and perhaps even it’s toxicity.

Petroleum is fossilized natural materials — plants and animals — and is therefore natural. If you burn heavier petroleum products like coal, coal oil/kerosene, tar, heavy oil or asphaltenes you can get soot. If you burn wood, straw, seaweed or even the stalks of soy plants, you can get soot. Soot from any source is potentially harmful if inhaled because soot is small particles (<10 microns) that can get through the filters in our nose and, if it reaches our lungs, can be absorbed into the tissues in our lungs. Inhaling soot is not good for anyone but the immediate symptoms are more obvious, immediate and health-threatening in asthmatics or people like me with irritable/sensitive airways.

Anyway, thank you for summarizing what you have found. It was an interesting read but I think that there is some important information lumped together and confused (related to health risks of the types of wicks and waxes) and other information that is missing (gases created by burning wax processed from soy beans) that a reader would need to make an informed choice.

Bob

38 Anna-Maria September 6, 2013 at 6:19 am

Quite wrong. Beeswax has lots of biproducts from burning, as do soy.
Having done a thorough read of the paper you posted and browsing other academic literature on the subject I can say with confidence that you did not understand what you were reading.
This paper says (as does the other resesrch) that all candles produce the same by-products in varying amounts. It also says that burning multiple candles for an extended period of time won’t produce as much of those same toxins as you will find in the air of a normal city street the health risk from candles comes from the particulates of the soot, which you get more of when burning sifter, less saturated waxes – I.e. beeswax and soy.
The candle association may be biased, but they have plenty of other research to back them up.

None of this will stop me burning my nice beeswax church candles though because I have a a science degree and know how to use it. I know that ‘natural’ doesn’t equal healthy. I also understand the articles I read and that they concluded that a couple of candles, well trimmed, with lead free wicks, do not present even as much of a health risk as burning my toast or having cleaning product residue on my stove elements.

39 michel dumont September 7, 2013 at 1:13 am

ive seen magneium metal core wicks……i havent seen them in yrs…. ive been a candle maker for over 25 yrs…. ive never heard of lead wicks? till i read your article…. ive heard some young people ask me if burning parafin wax was toxic and they sited a lot of pseudo science..which i found slightly alarming…. soy wax seems to have slightly more additives …. i have always added a percentage of bees wax to my parafin wax just for burning ..glowing purposes…i dunno i worry about asbestos in older homes more than i worry about soot…….haveing lived with wood stoves as ovens or wood furnaces to heat homes….. soot seems to be a normal part of life….ofcourse if we live in a modern home with an R factor of a million….. you may be worried about any air borne particle friend or foe…i found soy wax perfect for making white candels or pastel candels ..because of the additives in the wax…as for parafin being a by product of the petoleum industry yep thats true…. ive collected an array of candel books from the 50s to the present…and really candel practices of glass molds that were broken after one use i found alarming….the consumption of the 1950s was pretty amazing….if read more science articles about the ingredients re additives in all types of wax that would be interested….but just siteing lead poisioning affects as the reason to change habits well thats more for old lead paint isnt it? my sons toys from china is more of a worry and i had his lead blood levels tested for global news because his thomas the train engine toys a couple of them might have contained lead luckily they were not the ones he chewed on because his lead blood levels were normal….i presume back ground levels from leaded gas emmissions…… that alarms me… so many other things other than paraffin :)

40 John September 20, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Another interesting topic is washing powder. The “stuff” they put in it nowadays can be dangerous to your skin. Do a study on “soap nuts”. They grow naturally on trees; and when you put about 5 halves in a small muslin bag or sock in the washing drum, they work wonders. They are way better than washing powder, and they are 100% natural too!

41 Sherry Riter October 13, 2013 at 10:47 am

Thanks John. Sounds interesting!

42 Sherry Riter October 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks Michel for your comment!

43 Sherry Riter October 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

Thanks Anna-Marie for your comment!

44 Sherry Riter October 13, 2013 at 11:02 am

“Why do you seem to be lumping leaded wicks with paraffin candles?”
Because that is where the research indicated that the lead wicks were mostly located.

“but the immediate symptoms are more obvious, immediate and health-threatening in asthmatics or people like me with irritable/sensitive airways.”
Unfortunately true.

Thanks Bob for your comment! You gave me a lot of information to research for a future post. :D

45 Matt October 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

Except then you have to deal with the issue of disposable batteries, or if you use rechargeable ones, how was the electricity generated that was used to manufacture and then charge them. You may have avoided the immediate local health threat, but just shifted it back onto the population as a whole. I’m trying to preach, just pointing out that there are no easy alternative choices.

46 Sherry Riter October 24, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Matt. I agree – nothing is easy anymore.

47 Austin C November 9, 2013 at 2:41 am

Lead-wicks are banned in the US, they have been since 2003.
As has been stated many times before, paraffin wax burns into carbon dioxide and water. Nothing harmful at all. Paraffin wax itself you could literally eat and be fine. The idea that they produce more soot than other types of waxes is just plain wrong, assuming candles and their wicks are produced correctly, paraffin wax will actually produce the least amount of soot. There is solid scientific evidence supporting this, it’s basic chemistry. Even if they did produce more soot, soot isn’t a tremendous hazard to your health until it becomes chocking. Burning a campfire produces a TON more soot, and everyone seems fine when gathered around cooking smores. Candles made in the US are almost always made from food-grade paraffin wax, meaning they’re lacking anything unfiltered that could burn and produce negative byproducts.
Other types of waxes can be preferred over paraffin wax, but never for health reasons.

“Why do you seem to be lumping leaded wicks with paraffin candles?”
– Probably because paraffin is used in nearly every candle made, and is the cheapest so will be coupled with low-quality/cheap wicks. Did you take that into account?

– One could argue the exact definition of “natural” here, but even then I think it’s best to point out that natural doesn’t necessarily mean healthier. There is no correlation. It might make you FEEL better, but unfortunately the universe doesn’t care about that, so it makes no difference.

48 Sherry Riter November 11, 2013 at 5:48 am

Thanks for you comment.

49 chris November 11, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Although I don’t disagree with the properties of soy, I do disagree with other statements on here. First of all, I have used paraffin for years, as others have done for over 100 years with no issue. Second most soy is not produced in the US, it comes from out of country. It also may be natural, but it takes chemicals to process it into candle wax. Soy production is also harsh on soil and water supplies. I know this won’t be a popular comment on here, but I can’t see one source as firm evidence, as I have read many articles on both sides of this arguement. Like I said before, I am not against soy candles but I am also not for parafiin wax being portrayed as some sort of nuclear waste. I also firmly stand by the fact that paraffin is much better with holding color and fragrance.

50 chris November 11, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Has anyone really read this article linked in this site? It only mentions paraffin twice and in no way does it say it produces more pollutents than other candles. In fact it states coloring and fragrances being more of a problem, so if you use soy and put fragrance in it, this kind of defeats the purpose. Also like this person mentions, I have never had any candle with a lead core in it. This is just another example of how an opinion turns into supposed facts.

51 Jessica Lynch November 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

Have you tried Pink Zebra sprinkles? They are a SoftSoy blend that burn clean. No black soot! Last longer and are more fragrant than our competitors. You can use them to make your own candle or place in a simmer pot or simmer light (tart warmer) I would love to send you some samples.

Jessica Lynch
Pink Zebra Independent Manager

52 Jessica Lynch November 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Our candles are made of Soft Soy wax and the benefits to you are:

A cleaner burning and consistent candle
Burns approximately 30% longer
Maximizes fragrance
Responsible, renewable and sustainable earth friendly wax
Our soy wax comes from US produced soybeans
High Quality Wax Candle

The quality of our candles are of highest priority. Pink Zebra’s Product development team specs each candle by fragrance to burn and perform cleanly and fully for your maximum value and satisfaction.

MADE IN AMERICA

A major problem is that even our US based companies are importing their ‘wax’ from other countries that do not follow the same protocol that the US does. Made in the US is very different from Assembled in the US.

53 Sherry Riter November 24, 2013 at 12:48 am

They sound great Jessica!

54 Annette Robinson December 8, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Thank you for this information! I’m a cancer survivor and have been trying to reduce my intentional exposures to toxins where possible. After discovering parafin comes from petrochemical sludge. It got me thinking what things in my life have parafin in them. Hopefully your research will help others too!

55 Amy Smith December 17, 2013 at 8:57 am

That’s why I only buy Jewelry in Candles products. They’re 100% soy with lead-free wicks, plus they come with surprise jewelry hidden inside! Safer and more fun than any paraffin candle.

You can find their candles and tarts here: http://www.jewelryincandles.com/store/mommyshobbies

56 Sherry Riter December 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Thanks!

57 Sherry Riter December 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Congratulations on being a survivor! :)

58 Sherry Riter December 19, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for the info :)

59 Sherry Riter December 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Thanks for your opinion.

60 Sherry Riter December 19, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I’m glad you haven’t ever had a lead core in your candle, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

61 Brett Sherris March 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Doesn’t mean that it necessarily does either.

62 Kenneth McDonald July 12, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hello Sherry – Ken from Scotland here

Sorry if this appears simplistic, but if you, or your family, have health concerns, or are worried about allergies or allergic reactions to paraffin, why don’t you just switch the light on instead of using candles.

Thanks
Ken

PS – nice hair but you should try it straight.

63 Kenneth McDonald July 12, 2014 at 10:53 am

What does ‘awaiting moderation’ mean?

64 Sherry Riter July 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

LOLOLOLOL Ken, that was funny! Yes, we often do use the light, but I love the ambiance of a candle. :)

My hair is naturally curly and cut in layers so that it doesn’t stick off my head like a clown. It looks awful totally straight. Did it once with a curling iron and it took about an hour to get it straight. Even my daughter thought it looked terrible.

65 Sherry Riter July 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

It means that the comment is waiting for me to approve it. :)

66 Ken McDonald July 14, 2014 at 11:56 am

All candles provide ambiance, I also use them, mainly for that purpose, however, the reality, at least from my perspective, is that their function (providing light) has been overtaken by technology. That does not mean they do not have a function or should be shunned, but it does mean we should understand the differences between the historical and current uses of candles. All candles are safe, if the users understand the limitations and dangers. When all houses included an open fire, with the associated through-flow of air via the fire chimney, the ‘soot’ emitted from burning candles was quickly removed and although it was still a health concern, this concern was, at that time, not considered significant. We now live in air conditioned houses, specifically designed to reduce energy use, mainly by heat retention, which means minimal air flow through our dwellings. This is fine if you do not burn candles, but if you do, you should consider, not only your own desire to achieve a satisfying feeling of ambiance, but also the requirement of the candle to have enough air flow to be able to provide this feeling safely. I like candles, think of their needs.

Thanks
Ken

PS – Sherry – does your big curly hair hide big ears ????

67 Sherry Riter July 14, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Thanks Ken for the information.

No, I do not have big ears at all.