Even Though You Can’t Read This Post

by Sherry Riter in Bella {a dog's story}

In the wee hours of the morning, I am the only creature stirring…well, I’m supposed to be the only creature stirring, but I’m not.

I’ve always had a high metabolism and required less hours of sleep than the average person. When I was a young girl, my family hated it because I didn’t like naps and they usually fell asleep before I did and if I did at all. So often, I remember watching my mother fall into a sound sleep and then I would ever so carefully creep off the bed to go back in my room and play.

Mom had a good nap.

Fast forward about forty plus years and I still don’t like naps nor do I like sleeping. Honestly, it just feels like a huge waste of time. Lucky for me, I still do not require that much sleep. So night after night while everyone else sleeps, I sit at the computer with the music softly playing while I type, surf and think about life.

However, I’m not alone.

Bella, my daughter’s dog, refuses to go to bed unless I’ve also gone to bed. No matter how much Alyssa tries to convince Bella to stay in the bed with her, it doesn’t work. Instead, Bella comes into the room with me and sleeps at my feet.

I can hear her snore softly and often I watch her little paws run while she is lost in dreamland. If I make an unusual noise, she will wake up and look at me.

I have no idea why this little puppy wants to be out here with me, but honestly, it is comforting and I don’t feel so lonely. So even though you can’t read this post, I just want to tell you…

Thank you Bella for being my friend in the late hours of the night. You often make the darkness bright and the loneliness bearable. I guess that is why I forgive you for chewing holes in everything.

1 Michelle December 15, 2010 at 4:36 am

Oh she is the cutest thing ever. My puppy is the same way, she is by my side no matter where I go all day long. She makes me crazy but I love her!

2 Being Me December 15, 2010 at 6:24 am

So cute, I notice that too. Dogs tend to have a closer affinity to the mother of the house eventhough they (very much) belong to the kids.

3 Kat from California December 15, 2010 at 8:16 am

Bella is so cute she almost looks like a stuffed dog. My cats keep me company when I'm awake at night. Unfortunately I end up sleeping when my daughter is at school and I'm suppose to get stuff done. A little thing called Fibromyalgia gets in the way.

In the AM I'm going shopping with a friend so I need to turn my brain off soon.

4 Gail December 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Dogs are purfect for making you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

5 Deb December 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

She is sooo cute!!! Dogs are the bestest friends.

6 Kellies December 15, 2010 at 4:01 pm

We just got a puppy, and I am so, so thankful that he sleeps at night. Otherwise, I'd be in big trouble…I'm not one who can survive on limited sleep. You're lucky, Redhead Riter!

7 Bryan Thompson December 15, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Very cute dog. I linked here to yours from BlogFrog – I'm still getting used to it.

You have so much content, Redhead. It's inspiring. And I realize I don't write enough. 🙂

Seriously, cute dog! 🙂

8 arohanui December 16, 2010 at 9:08 am

I LOVE that you have a redheaded dog!

9 Teresha@Marlie and Me December 16, 2010 at 2:12 pm

dogs are the best, especially adorable poodles!

10 Holly December 20, 2010 at 8:26 am

So glad I COULD read this post because it's beautiful!! I have 2 snoring away at my feet in their cozy little beds by my side. I swear my Jasmine thinks my well being is HER JOB!! She can SENSE when I'm down and won't leave my side at those times. I wish I could take her EVERYWHERE I go!! She is such a comfort to me. (((HUGS))) Bella is beautiful… I take it she's made a full recovery from her bra hook incident? YIKES! <3

11 Danielle-Marie December 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm

What a great companion! And I can somewhat relate to how you feel about sleep. Every night when I go to bed I lay awake thinking "this is a waste of time, I could be doing so many things right now." Although I can't say I dislike sleep. I in fact love it and wish I had a little more.

12 Metro DC Mom December 22, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Aww! What a cutie! Glad she keeps you company at night.