Dad is Gone and I am Grieving

by Sherry Riter in Dad,Death,Self-Development

I just don’t have it in me to post much today.

I posted this in my community last night…

At 12:01 a.m. my Dad passed away. I am so happy that he did not suffer for years like so many others, but I am so sad for me.

I wanted to thank you all for your constant prayers and well wishes on his and my family’s behalf. Your encouragement has been appreciated more than my written words can express.

I just scheduled Tweets on Twitter and posts on Facebook to honor his memory all day long. I am going to share happy memories with everyone and it helped being able to express them as I typed. I hope you will read them and count your own blessings.

Life is so very short. Dad was only 68 and I desperately wanted him to live with me so that I could recapture a childhood that I didn’t have with him. Now, I can’t and I feel a huge empty loss for me.

Once again, thank you so very much for your support through not only my Dad’s passing, but also a few months ago when I nearly lost my one and only child. If I could, I would hug you all.

You do not have to have a Twitter account to read the things I wrote about my dad. Please feel free to read them. They started way early the morning of October 15th and won’t end until later that night. If you click “more” at the bottom of my Twitter page, it will keep populating all my tweets (tweets are little messages I post on Twitter)

Here is my Twitter —>

I did find out today that Dad will be buried next to his grandparents on Sunday.

I’ve cried all day. I wish my tear ducts would go on strike.

Hold your family and friends tighter because unlike me, you may not have any time to say your last goodbyes. People leave this life in an instant and we just don’t know who is next or when, where, how and often why. My daughter just found out one of her friends also died last night. He was only twenty years old.

Don’t waste the opportunity you have now to forgive, forget, love and move on together with a happy life. Take time to be with one another so that you have beautiful memories when they are no longer around.

I’d like to believe that Dad had a lovely greeting from his family and Jesus after he stepped out of his cancerous body last night. That is what I’m trying to dwell on now…Dad is finally pain free and happy.

1 The Zany Housewife October 15, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Thinking of you Red…

2 Lovey October 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Oh my dear sister in the Lord…I pray your strength during this difficult time. Blessings upon you.

3 Lanie October 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm

No words… Just breathe in and out. God is holding all of you in his hands. I can actually say I understand firsthand how you are feeling. Take your time healing and remembering… Much love and prayers, Lanie J.

4 Sandy October 15, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Oh Red, I feel so bad that you are going through this. I too see your dad in the arms of Jesus, with all your departed family behind them just waiting for their turn at hugs!! I truly believe.
You are in my prayers, dear one.

xoxo Sandy

5 Dana October 15, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I am truly sorry for your loss and will keep you an your family in my thoughts and prayers!!

6 Grammy Suzzy October 15, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I am so very sorry for the loss you have suffered. Your thoughts are true and right…I know he was greeted as he left that limited body by his loving family, friends, and is safely in the arms of the Savior. You are in my prayers.

7 Mama P October 15, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Red, you are in my thoughts and prayers today, and I know your dad is smiling down from heaven 🙂

8 Tin October 15, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my dad to cancer 4 months ago on the 24th of October. (Prostate)
I miss him terribly, but am grateful I was able to say goodbye and that he is no longer in pain. I know he is in a better place and that he is watching over me. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Kristin from

Shig and Tin

9 Patti Hanan October 16, 2010 at 12:03 am

Dear Red, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad to know your father knew Jesus, and is now with him in heaven. The picture on your post is beautiful. Patti

10 Suzie October 16, 2010 at 12:17 am

Much too young. I'm sorry for your loss.
I hope this is not too personal a place to discuss this, but when my sister died in 2005 of cancer we got her fingerprint taken and we made jewelry from it. Google thumbies. I wear a fingerprint necklace of her everyday. I love feeling the ridges of her fingerprint.

11 Lori October 16, 2010 at 12:46 am

From reading all of your posts and your tweets, it seems that your were a wonderful daughter. Your father was a lucky man, and you are a lucky woman to have had such a wonderful father. Hold your memories tight and share them often.

My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your family.

I just sent a tight heartfelt hug your way.

12 Artist Terri Smith October 16, 2010 at 1:08 am

I am truly so very sorry for your loss. Your post was so beautifully written and went to the depths of my soul.

May Grace And Comfort Be With You,

13 More Milestones October 16, 2010 at 1:14 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thinking of you and your family today.

14 Teresha@Marlie and Me October 16, 2010 at 2:30 am

I'm so sorry about your dad's passing. he may be gone, but he's not forgotten

15 Stacey October 16, 2010 at 3:26 am

Praying for you. Sorry for your loss.

16 Tyla October 16, 2010 at 5:06 am

"Those who live in the Lord never see each other for the last time"

Saying a prayer for your and your family this night. And for the family of your daughter's young friend. God belss you all.

17 Stephanie October 16, 2010 at 5:13 am

Thank you for sharing your pain. That might sound odd, but I've been reading your tweets about your dad all day. They live on as long as we remember them. God bless.

18 ruthhill74 October 16, 2010 at 5:25 am

You are in my thoughts and prayers. You and your family. My grandfather died of cancer years ago. He was closer to me than my dad is. I remember how hard it was. Know that you will see him again!

19 Kim Bauer October 16, 2010 at 6:19 am

So so sorry Red. He sounds like a wonderful man and I am sorry you are feeling so empty right now.

20 Rachel C. October 16, 2010 at 8:39 am

My condolences on your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

21 Tezzie October 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

So sorry about your loss…you're in my thoughts <3

22 wenstumped October 16, 2010 at 10:54 am

May God bless you with the strength to get through this and also bless your father that he may be able to dine in heaven everyday from now on.

23 Oh Sew Good October 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Both of your dad and your dream childhood. (((hugs)))

24 Holly October 16, 2010 at 12:10 pm

OH! I'm so sad for your loss! I DO believe he had a grand welcoming party and his spirit will still be with you! My prayers are with you and your family in this time of the loss of his presence. *SNIFF* BIG (((HUGS))) and LOTS of LOVE, my friend!! <3

25 Paula October 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Thinking of you.

26 Pamela F October 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I am very sorry for your loss, I am afraid to lose mine.

Take the time you need to heal.

27 Modista Modesta October 16, 2010 at 4:35 pm

So sorry for you loss. And you daughters. It's sad for those left behind, but he is having a family reunion. When my grandmother died she was calling out names of those that had gone before – Right before she died. Just a small confirmation of what I already believed.

28 Tim King October 16, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I'm keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers, Sherry.

29 Pandamonium October 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I am so, so, sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.<3

30 Pandamonium October 16, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I am so, so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. <3

31 Anonymous October 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I am sorry for your loss.
May you live in peace and light.

32 mimito5 October 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Oh dear one…….my prayer is that you will feel the arms of Jesus around you during this difficult time. Just know that I and many others are lifting you and your family up before the Father in prayer.

33 Thankful Heart October 16, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you and your family.

34 ?The Sweet Life? October 17, 2010 at 9:05 am

Red, you are in my prayers & thoughts. My condolences go out to you & your family. I am sooo sorry for your loss. Hugs to you!! ?

35 Gail October 17, 2010 at 11:06 am

I am so sorry for your loss.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

36 Dagmar October 17, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I'm so sorry to read that your father passed away. I'm so lucky to still have my dad around, who is 84.

All the best and a hug,
Dagmar's momsense

37 Tina October 18, 2010 at 1:58 am

So sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you are feeling some comfort. Cry as much as you need or want. Thinking of you.

38 The redhead October 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm

So sorry. Prayers for you and yours.

39 Sara Valor November 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, I understand how you feel in some way, since my dad is gone as well. I miss him and my brother.
I do believe that there is more to all this than life as we know it here on earth.
I know my dad and my brother have both been watching out for us in the years since they have been gone.
I'm sure your dad does this for you too.

40 Lisa November 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss and I send you lots of courage at this difficult time. Your words about making the most of family and loved ones are so true. I'm so sorry you are going through this. My thoughts are with you and your family. x x

41 lynda simmons June 23, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I just lost my dad on june20. My dad had bone cancer for 10 years. I ,was so close to him my daughter emily often called my dad dad instead of grandpa. With love and laughter and pictures of remembrance of him. I still have sleepless nights. Staying at my moms house to help her. I am glad that we had our alone time.He said he is so proud of me and that he is so happy to have been my dad! I am so glad i said i love you. I saw him Thursday, and he died at 2 in the morning on Friday. The pain hurts my chest and i will miss him forever.

42 Sherry Riter June 25, 2014 at 9:24 am

Yes, you will always miss him. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss.

43 lynda June 23, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers. Please pray for me and my family as well. Sending lots of love your way.

44 Sherry Riter June 25, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thank you Lynda. Although he passed in 2010, I still miss him. I will keep your family in my prayers.