You Make People Want To Vomit

by Sherry Riter in Other

There is a difference.

Whether you have learned this fact or not, ignorance in this case is not bliss.

When someone is feeling sick in their stomach, they SHOULD say, “I feel nauseated.”

However, I constantly hear, “I’m nauseous.”

Do you know what that statement means? Nauseous is something that causes disgust or nausea.

So if you say, “I’m nauseous,” you mean that you cause people to be sick in their stomach!

Hmmmm…Do you really make people feel like throwing up?

I doubt it.

nauseated and nauseous
pumpkin throwing up

1 Julie Jabbers June 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

The pumpkin had me laughing! I needed that, thank you. I will share this information with my kids who often say their nauseous.

2 Jennifer June 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Hehe! It annoys me when people say they are nauseous too! My other big annoyance? When people say something is "broke" instead of "broken". I saw a sign on a door once that said " Door broke" and I thought, " MAN! Someone needs to give that poor door some money!" Haha!

3 cfoxes33 June 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for the lessons in words!

4 The Zany Housewife June 24, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Thank you!!! Finally!! I get so frustrated with stuff like this.

My big pet peeve is when people say "ax" not "ask" or when they say "itch it" instead of "scratch it" lol

5 Maggie S June 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I posted about vomit earlier in the week and I wrote the word too many times in a row and had to start calling it something else. I just couldn't hear it in my head anymore. Power of suggestion? Maybe?

6 SpitFire June 25, 2010 at 2:20 am

I hate when someone says "warsh" as in "in my day we hung the warsh on the line". I also hate when someone says a baseball player is a great "athalete" It's athlete people, no 3rd syllable. And lastly..WWE has big "wrastlers". *shudders* It drives me nuts!

7 Melissa June 25, 2010 at 3:43 am

Okay, this is going to reveal what an English nerd I am…

Most people I know don't understand the quote "Oh Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" Juliet is not asking WHERE Romeo is; she is lamenting that he IS Romeo (Montague), her family's enemy. Hence the reason she goes on to say, "Deny thy father and refuse thy name."

Btw, Jennifer, that was hilarious about the "broke" door! 🙂

8 viewfromdownhere June 25, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I had an Honors English teacher in high school who taught me this. It drives me crazy, too. That and he said you never say whether or not. You only say whether. Or really unique. It's either unique or it's not. It's not "really unique." It's funny if you're a writer the things that just bug you…

9 Gypsy June 26, 2010 at 7:59 am

How funny! I personally can't stand when people say "Irregardless." That's not a real word!

10 Tim King June 30, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I have my own set of pet peeves, most of them having to do with the written word… But I couldn't resist actually looking this one up.

According to the New Oxford American Dictionary (which is the one on my MacBook): "A distinction has traditionally been drawn between nauseated, meaning ‘affected with nausea,’ and nauseous, meaning ‘causing nausea.’ Today, however, the use of nauseous to mean ‘affected with nausea’ is so common that it is generally considered to be standard."

Oh well. Linguistics marches on.