Remembering Vinyl Records

by Sherry Riter in Art  ,Product

I’ve been rather nostalgic lately. Posting about my Mom, Dad and life when I was seven years old, brought back lovely memories of what we called the “Big Room” in my childhood home. My family no longer lives in this home and I do not have a picture of it back then, but pictured below is how it appears today thanks to Google.

childhood home

The Big Room, as well as most of the rest of the house, had light colored parkay flooring. There were only two items in the room, so it was the perfect place to play. A child-sized pool table was set-up in the middle of the room. I played on it and under it all the time. It became a house, ship, school, bank, forest and many other places in my vivid imagination. At the end of the Big Room was a long RCA stereo console unit which also held all my parents vinyl records of which there were a whole bunch from the 1950’s. Such favorites as Elvis Presley, Englebert Humperdink and Tom Jones were amongst the vinyl collection.

Today vinyl records are rarely used because we live in the DVD era. What can we do with vinyl records if we no longer play music from them? I found a few artistic items that can be purchased directly from companies on the internet. The vendor links can be found in the image source stated below each photo. I think all the products are quite fun and I would love to own several items myself.

vinyl bowl

vinyl cupped bowl
Image: source

vinyl catch all bowl
Image: source

vinyl purse
Image: source

Which products are your favorite?

1 Just Breathe June 15, 2010 at 12:14 am

We still have all of ours. They are up in the attice most likely all warped!

2 FreshCutFabrics June 15, 2010 at 1:23 am

Those are some awesome things people have done with vinyl.
I still have a lot of my albums from the 70's, as a mater of fact my daughter bought me a Christmas present that looks like an old radio and takes your vinyl and copverts it to DVD. I haven't used it yet but plan to fit that in this summer.

3 Oh Sew Good June 15, 2010 at 8:43 am

Let's face it. There are some people in this world who are mega-talented. 🙂

4 Carol June 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Creativity Rules

5 Teresha@Marlie and Me June 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

my childhood began with cassette tapes and ended with CDs. I still loved listening to my father's vinyls. Somehow the music seemed more lively and real coming from a turntable.

6 cathyjoy June 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Awesome! the hubs brought out our boxes of albums a few years ago and the boy asked "what are those?"

7 viewfromdownhere June 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Those are awesome! I love the bracelets and earrings…way cool. My childhood, we listened to some vinyl, but mostly cassette tapes. I had a red My First Sony tape player, and I would listen to my New Kids tapes on that. Drove my parents crazy…

8 sherri June 15, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I surely do miss my vinyl collection! Growing up in the 60's-70's, I had a fabulous collection! To this day I prefer to listen to music on vinyl…there is something about the sound quality that is so much richer.
When I was a kid, I had a studio bedroom set…anyone remember those? The big wood corner table that had two twin beds – they could be made up to look like couches, and the table was hollow so one bed could slide 1/2 way inside it. Anyhow, I never slid my bed under it…it was my "sound room". The acoustics inside that table were the best! I had a great big kenwood stereo system – turntable and tuner, 2 very large wooden kenwood speakers… I put the speakers under the table..they laid on their sides lining either side of the table. I would put a record on and then go lay under the table between the two speakers…. Rush, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Moody Blues, Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, KC & the Sunshine Band, Chicago, Boston, Peter Frampton…and my all time favorite, the love of my life- Willie Nelson (Stardust under the table would make me cry every time)… Thanks for giving me that memory back!