Even A Pig

by Sherry Riter in Motivation,Other

Motivational Lift
Sometimes I receive emails that cause me to marvel at our world. This was one of them…

A giant farm dog and a tiny piglet cuddle up as if they were family after the baby runt was dismissed by its own mother. Surrogate mum Katjinga, an eight-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback, took on motherly duties for grunter Paulinchen – a tiny pot-bellied pig – and seems to be taking the adoption in her stride.

Lonely Paulinchen was luckily discovered moments from death and placed in the care of the dog who gladly accepted it as one of her own. Thankfully for the two-week old mini porker, Katjinga fell in love with him at first sight and saved his bacon.

The unlikely relationship has made the wrinkly piggy a genuine sausage dog. In these adorable images Paulinchen can even be seen trying to suckle from his gigantic new mum.

The two animals live together on a huge 20-acre farm in Hoerstel , Germany , where Katjinga’s owners Roland Adam, 54, and his wife Edit, 44, a bank worker, keep a pair of breeding Vietnamese pigs.

Nose place like home: The baby piglet nuzzles up to its new mum
Property developer Roland found the weak and struggling piglet after he was abandoned by the rest of his family one evening after he was born.

He said,”The pigs run wild on our land and the sow had given birth to a litter of five in our forest. I found Paulinchen all alone and when I lifted him up he was really cold”

“I felt sure some local foxes would have taken the little pig that very night so I took it into my house and gave him to Katjinga…”

“She had just finished with a litter of her own, who are now 10 months, so I thought there was a chance she might take on the duties of looking after him.”

“Katjinga is the best mother you can imagine. She immediately fell in love with the piggy. Straight away she started to clean it like it was one of her own puppies.”

“Days later she started lactating again and giving milk for the piggy. She obviously regards it now as her own baby.”

Mum of the year? Quite possibly.

Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle.

1 Bossy Betty June 18, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Ohhhhhhhh! Sweetness!!

2 ? Sarah @ FFP ? June 18, 2010 at 8:45 pm

What a sweet, touching story. Thank you for sharing!

3 More Milestones June 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

So Adorable!!

4 Lemondrop Marie June 19, 2010 at 12:13 am

This made me laugh and cry, love it! I have always loved ridgebacks, there is a rescue for them nearby my town and I want to adopt when we don't have sooooooo many other rescues at our house.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

5 Mama Penguin June 19, 2010 at 2:06 am

Oh my goodness!!! This is just tooo precious!! and so very touching!!

6 Teresha@Marlie and Me June 19, 2010 at 11:58 am

Could they be any cuter? I love a good adoption story!

7 katlupe June 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm

What wonderful photos! I love them!

8 sheara121 June 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

thank you for sharing! beautiful story 🙂

9 Crystal June 19, 2010 at 11:14 pm

what an adorable post. I have a "red headed" little boy so when I happened upon your blog I just had to check it out. Love it by the way!
I'm your newest follower. I've booked marked you so that I can spend some more time on your blog. Looks great so far. Hope you can zip over to http://www.threejewelsinmycrown.blogspot.com and follow me back! Have a great Father's Day weekend

10 Kat from California June 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Awww, what a sweet adorable story. The dog and pig look so happy together. Did you see pictures of the tiger that took care of baby piglets at the zoo? The put the piglets in skin of the dead baby tiger cubs so the tiger would accept them. She nursed them till they grew up. I laugh every time when I see the tiger w/ the pigs in a tiger blanket. I'll have to google it to find the link again. Katharine

11 Valentina@baby quilts August 15, 2011 at 5:07 am

What a wonderful story; the Rhodesian is a highly intelligent breed but it's not the breed but rather the Mom in her to admire and learn from.