My Mother, My Friend

by Sherry Riter in Holiday,Mom

Before I start my post, I just want to wish all my blog followers, visitors and friends, Happy Mother’s Day!

I love my Mother's hair

I love Mom’s hair.

Not only is her hair beautiful all the time (Yes, it is Mom!), but when I need to find her in a crowd quickly, it is a piece of cake finding her beautiful, shiny hair. I’ve never known anyone her age with hair that is so alive. When I was younger, her hair was black and she wore it in the same style as Marlo Thomas in the television series called That Girl. Do you remember it? Straight with a little bit of teased puff, bangs in the front and flipped up in a curl all the way around her head. It used to tickle my nose when I slept in the middle between you and Dad.

Ah, fond memories.

Mom, I love you.

I know that you hear and have heard that many times, but I truly mean it from the bottom of my heart and soul.

I have so many memories of you and us together…

pink curlers

Tunnel of Fudge Cake

short dresses in vibrant colors (the style came back)

Andy Griffith in the afternoon

coloring in the lines

sleeping in the middle

dressing up for church every Sunday

canned peaches

sleeping in the front seat with my head on your lap

your hand softly stroking my hair as I drifted to sleep

delicious meals three times a day

your tiny hands

sop chocolate

sincere prayers

shopping and acting silly

beautiful clothes made by you

chocolate pudding

knick knacks

Zorro and my scar

your rocking chair

getting your ears pierced

vacuum marks

driving in silence and without the radio when you learned to drive

trying on clothes you were making with a million pins sticking in the fabric

reading to me each night when I went to bed

buttered bread

your tanned skin next to my ever white, freckled skin

big, brown loving eyes

the way you love nature

brushing you hair

your sweet voice singing

little notes written on my napkin at lunch

picking me up from school

“new” math

the way you look when you embrace your grandchildren

all things to do with teeth

wallpapering the kitchen

the fruit and vegetable puzzle with a black background that had pieces with three totally straight sides, but you still wanted it put together for a decoupaged picture to hang in the kitchen

milk glass

silk pajamas

ice cream cones

the way you love the gospel of Christ and that Jesus is your best friend

the peace and comfort I feel when you hug me

These a just a few of the million things that make me think of you. On this special day set aside to honor our mothers, I want to tell say…Happy Mother’s Day to the greatest Mom who just so happens to be my Mom. I’m so thankful to be your daughter and appreciate all the countless hours you have been in service of your children and grandchildren. I pray that I will have many more years with you because you are not only my mother, but you are also my friend. I hope you have a beautiful day.

I love you.

My Mother
You can see it in their eyes,
in tender hugs and long good-byes,
a love that only moms and daughters know.

You can see it in their smiles,
through passing years and changing styles,
a friendship that continually seems to grow.

You can see it in their lives,
the joy each one of them derives,
in just knowing that the other one is there…

To care and to understand,
lend an ear or hold a hand,
and to celebrate the memories they share.

Once upon a memory
Someone wiped away a tear
Held me close and loved me,
Thank you, Mother dear.

1 sexylegsandbody May 9, 2010 at 3:37 am

What a beautiful post! Yes your mom is still gorgeous, and her hair is fabulous.
I read your post and it gave me a lump in my throat. Sadly my mom passed away when I was 21, many moons ago, (she was only 42) but she was a very special person and I am sure she was needed in heaven.

Hope your Mohter's day will be filled with laughter and happiness.

2 notesfromnadir May 9, 2010 at 3:46 am

What a beautiful and vibrant looking mother you have. I'm sure you know how lucky you are. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tribute with us. 🙂

3 Dena E's Blog May 9, 2010 at 4:14 am

WOW Red,Your Mom is gorgeous!!!
I have been wanting to be bold and ask if that is you on the header??? Your Gorgeous too!!!
Happy Mothers Day Sweetie!!!
Hugs Dena
BTW I started my "My community page earlier. Just am not sure what to write when it says introduce myslef. Or on the rules area odf it.
Anyhoo's Thinkin of YOU…
I see PJ was here so she is ok then???
I sent her a note too…
I LOVE how God has soooo blessed us with each other ya know~~~

4 Julie May 9, 2010 at 6:46 am

You have a beautiful mom!! I love her silver hair! So fun to read all of your special memories. What a special tribute!!

5 katlupe May 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Red, your Mom is fantastic! I love her hair too! You have inspired me on what to write about my Mom today. I lost her 7 years ago and still miss her daily. She called me every day no matter where I lived. Happy Mother's Day to you too!

6 Mary May 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm

What a beautiful mom you have!
Happy Mother's Day!

7 Teresha@Marlie and Me May 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Your mom is stunning! I hope you kiss her everyday for passing on her good genes 😉

8 Men Are Dumb. I Are One. May 9, 2010 at 6:09 pm

What a great post. What a cool Mom, you have. Happy Mother's Day from Stop by and see what we have for you today. 🙂

9 Julie M. May 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Happy Mothers Day! What a beautiful tribute to give your mother. It brought back memories of my own mother when I was a child.

I left you an award over on my blog. Stop by when you get a chance and pick it up!

10 Anonymous May 9, 2010 at 9:30 pm

My precious Daughter, Thank you for this beautiful trubute to me. Only you, and your sister are what made me a mom and who I am. It is I who thank the two of you. When you were born, you changed my whole life and outlook on everything. You have been an inspiration to me, and Audey. I love you beyond words. I am so glad we have forever and are a forever family.

Ps. I wish to thank all of you girls for your comments, thank you so very much. I am so blessed with my girls.

11 Oh Sew Good May 10, 2010 at 12:39 am

Your mother is very beautiful and from your description she's beautiful from the inside out. No doubt, you love her and are very proud of her. I hope you enjoy your Mother's Day with your daughter too.

12 Velvet Over Steel May 10, 2010 at 12:48 am

What a beautiful tribute to your 'amazingly beautiful' mother! And her comment back to you and your sister made me get teary. I didn't have a mom like that and only sons of my own, but I hope I am half the mom that she obviously was for you and your family! Hugs and Happy Mother's to you ALL! ~ Coreen

13 Michelle May 10, 2010 at 12:52 am

Thanks for sharing your memories with your mom. So glad you are letting her know now. My mom is gone now, & of course I miss her. Great idea to let her know how much you cherish your times together. And she IS beautiful!

14 bluecottonmemory May 10, 2010 at 2:52 am

Just beautiful Red! Your mother is beautiful, too! She just sparkles. You are a blessed woman! Happy Mother's Day!

15 JENIE=) May 10, 2010 at 3:23 am

She looks very pretty, not just that fabulous hair! 😉

missing you dear!

16 Cynthia Schuerr May 11, 2010 at 4:06 pm

She is beautiful! My mom's hair was just as gorgeous. Everyone always said, if my hair would be that exact shade of gray, I would stop coloring it.:-) Just beautiful!