The Greatest Day of My Life

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Birthday

bluebonnets in Texas
The blue bonnets were in full bloom along the side of the highway with a big blue Texas sky and bright sunshine everywhere when I was driven to the hospital. It was my first experience at child birth and I was happy, scared, but most of all, filled with excitement to meet “my little alien” after nine months of carrying her within me. We had already had long conversations and I told her of all the things I hoped for in her life. I promised that I would work hard at being the best mother so that she wouldn’t feel ripped off. I sang to her in the quiet of the nights when I couldn’t sleep. Now, I was nervous. What if she didn’t like me?

The whole birth experience was long, scary, painful, cleansing and the closest I have ever felt to God. My body took over and the miracle happened with a lot of help from my doctor. Alyssa didn’t cry when she was born and with eyes wide opened, she looked around the room. The nurse wiped her up a bit, wrapped her in a towel and stood beside the bed next to me. My daughter smiled and reached her hand out towards me.

I wasn’t scared any more.

I felt more alive than I had ever felt and my gratitude to God was immeasurable.

Today is Alyssa’s 17th Birthday.

Alyssa, you are truly the sunshine of the morning. I love and admire you. I feel so very blessed to not only know you, but to be your mother. You have made my life worth living. You are truly the brightest ray of sunshine I have ever seen grace this planet.

Thank you for being you.

Thank you for caring and forgiving me when I mess up.

Thank you for being obedient and in desiring the good part.

Thank you for loving me.

On this wonderful 17th birthday, I wish I could wave a wand and make your whole life free from all pain and sorrow forever. We both know I can’t do it no matter how much I wish for it to be true. However, I did find a few ladies who wanted to wave their wands for someone they loved too. Her name is Aurora, also known as Sleeping Beauty. They loved her very much and often made a mess of things, but in the end their love is all she really wanted and needed. This will make you smile.

Sleeping Beauty Fairy Godmothers - Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather
We have been just like those silly fairies many times. Often acting rather goofy and laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt and ached. I’ve enjoyed and continue to enjoy every second of your company. Giving birth to you and becoming your mother was the greatest day of my life. Just in case you missed that….

Becoming your mother was THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

I would sing to you, but we both know how lovely my voice is, so Sarah Evans agreed to sing my feelings to you today…

Alyssa as a baby
Alyssa as a baby
Enjoy your day and
Happy Birthday Alyssa!

1 Oh Sew Good April 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

Happy birthday Alyssa! Enjoy your day today.

2 lynn April 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Happy 17th birthday Alyssa!!

3 Teresa Wilkinson 1984 April 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh! Alyssa! 17 is so good just like every year is enjoy! Happy Birthday you are so lucky!

4 Fat April 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Oh, so sweet! I love your posts today, and it reminds me of just how wonderful I felt the days my sons were born! Happy Birthday to your daughter! I am now your newest follower and subscriber!

5 Aunt Peg April 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm

This is a wonderful post! I loved reading about your experience and the blue bells picture is gorgeous!
Happy birthday to your daughter!

6 La Tea Dah April 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm

A very happy birthday to Alyssa!!!

From LaTeaDah
Gracious Hospitality

7 bluecottonmemory April 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Happy Birthday Alyssa! I think your mom ADOREs you – if you told her you hung the moon, she'd agree:)

8 The Grandpa April 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm

What a wonderful tribute. I hope your daughter — and you — enjoy this day to the fullest.

9 OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique April 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm

The Bluebonnets picture is fabulous!! And your post is wonderful ~ Hope your daughter is able to read it and see it and know how lucky she is to have a wonderful mom who obviously cares so deeply!

10 Andrea @ See it! Love it! Win it! April 15, 2010 at 10:41 pm

What a gorgeous baby she was! Hope she's having a great day today. 17 is such an awesome age!

11 char_char April 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm

The pictures are gorgeous! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

12 Paloma April 16, 2010 at 2:26 am

Wow! you have so much going on!!! so many blogs! Do you keep up with all of them? Or is there one that you update more often? Great pics by the way!!! And Happy B-day to your daughter! I also want to thank you for having joined the Starbucks giveaway at the Coffee Shop!!

13 KellieS April 16, 2010 at 4:04 am

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter…and to yourself for being her mother. I have six children, and not a day goes by that I don't feel every emotion you described as their mother. Some good, some bad, some incredible, some down right pathetic, but all a part of the journey as a parent.

Birthday blessings to your baby. Enjoy her while she is still at home. It goes so fast at the upper teen level.

14 NaomiTanakaJesson April 16, 2010 at 5:43 am

Happy Birthday Alyssa! Wow I guess time does fly.

15 Teresha@Marlie and Me April 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Sorry, I'm late to the party. Happy Birthday Alyssa! You are the best present your mother ever received!

16 McGillicutty August 21, 2010 at 2:23 am

awwww what a sweet post to your daughter.. and great pics!!!!

17 Karyn Climans August 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I'm sure your daughter will always treasure the beautiful post you have written for her!

18 MaryB September 11, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Your love for your daughter is so apparent and it is so beautiful to behold. Lovely!

19 Jen September 22, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I just want to say that I think it is so sweet how much you obviously love your daughter and want her day to be special.

I can't wait until my husband and I are blessed with a child of our own and I can marvel at each and every milestone and birthday.