Chuckle of the Day – The Other Stall

by Sherry Riter in Chuckle

bathroom stalls

Traveling down the interstate and needing to use the restroom,

I stop at a rest area and headed to the restroom.

I was barely sitting down when I heard a voice from the other stall saying:

“Hi, how are you?”

I’m not the type to start a conversation in the restroom and I don’t know what got into me, but I answered, somewhat embarrassed,

“Doin’ just fine!”

And the other person says:

“So what are you up to?”

What kind of question is that? At that point, I’m thinking this is too bizarre so I say:

“Uhhh, I’m like you, just traveling!”

At this point I am just trying to get out as fast as I can when I hear another question.

“Can I come over?”

Ok, this question is just too weird for me but I figured I could just be polite and end the conversation. I tell them

“No…I’m a little busy right now!!!”

Then I hear the person say nervously…

“Listen, I’ll have to call you back. There’s an idiot in the other stall who keeps answering all my questions

Don’t you just love cell phones!!!

1 Miel Abeille April 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Ha! I thought things like that only happened to me! You can call me guilty of a similar exchange, but I was responding to the lady in the next stall asking if I was okay and did I need anything. First I was a bit put off by her questions, then I think she was put off by my responses. Thanks for the morning chuckle!

2 Eclipsed April 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

3 April 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm

ok that is hilarious!

4 Cynthia Schuerr April 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Oh, that's just too funny!

5 Oh Sew Good April 17, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Too funny! Reminds me when I was traveling and had to use the restroom. When I was finished, I came out and picked up a drink. However, when I went to pay for it, the clerk asked me if I had gas. Of course, I replied "Isn't that a little personal?" 🙂 True story! I really did that.

6 Dalia (Generation X Mom) April 17, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Are you for real??? That is too funny!!!

7 Grace Wheeler April 18, 2010 at 3:07 am

Ha! Now THAT is funny! I always think it's SO odd when people talk on their cell phones in the bathroom!

8 Sushicookie April 18, 2010 at 3:31 am

Omg thats funny. <3

9 shawna April 18, 2010 at 3:51 am

OMG!!!LMBO!! That was a great laugh. Thanks for that. I'm gonna have to share this one!

10 Under the Influence April 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for the chuckle! Did this really happen to you? Did you wait until they left the restroom so you didn't have to see them?

11 Navyvet April 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Sherry, that is one you never told mom. lol I have warned you all your life about talking to strangers! lol Now you are acting like your mom, haha

12 tracie @ {tsj} photography April 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

LOVE this!!! definitely needed a little chuckle! 😉

13 Tim @ Families Again April 19, 2010 at 5:04 am

Was just catching up on your blog and read this. I almost died laughing. It's midnight and my wife must think I'm crazy!

14 Chennifer April 19, 2010 at 5:56 pm

that is SO funny! but seriously – who talks on the phone while you're on the toilet????

15 The Random Blogette April 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm

That so grosses me out. I used to work in a real estate office and all of the realtors used to talk on their phones in the bathroom. Come on people! Nasty germs!!! Can't anyone wait until they are done to use the phone??!!

16 Tim King April 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Sherry, that was so funny it made me cry. 🙂

You probably wouldn't know this, but I've experienced a similar thing standing at a urinal in a men's room. Of course, I quickly realized that the guy was not talking to me. But it was quite disconcerting to have someone carrying on a (loud) conversation next to me while I was trying to finish my business. Ugh.