I sure did! It will give you a mental picture and you will understand better.
I’m not a big advocate of “carpeting” in every room of the home, although I presently have carpet in every room…GO FIGURE. Makes me sound really smart, huh? I prefer hardwood flooring, however, there are many who prefer carpeting.
Being the inquisitive “Why? Why? Why?” redhead that I am, I wanted to see if there were clear cut advantages to having carpeting in the home. These are a few things I have discovered. So there! (Oh wait, I’ll gloat later. First, let’s see the FACTS)…
- Durable – Especially if you levitate above it instead of walking on it.
- Insulator (reduces air conditioning and heating bills)
- Absorbs noise
- Variety of styles and colors
- Cushions falls (that is, of people and things, especially glass) – It may cushion, but at the same time you get RUG burn. As far as the glass stuff goes, whenever I drop something, which is VERY often, it usually hits something else and breaks anyway. If you don’t believe me, ask my mother how much stuff she had to glue back together thanks to little ole’ me – sorry again mom – and again – and again – you get the picture
- Low maintenance – Hmm, only if you don’t wear shoes in the house AND no one in your family ever spills anything. Do you have that type of family? If so, can we swap?
- Health benefits (absorbs particles that could cause allergies which keeps the air cleaner) – YUCK! I’m sorry, but that sounds really, really, really gross! So when I sit or lay on the carpet, there are all kinds of crawly microscopic things getting all over me! HELP!
Now let’s compare that list with the advantages of hardwood flooring…
Hardwood flooring properties
- Durable – Oh yeah! Those boards can last for hundreds of years!
- Insulator (holds heat because it has thousands of tiny air chambers)
- Variety of styles and colors
- Low maintenance – You can wipe anything off and worse case scenario, you can buff it out. Have you ever tried to get melted wax, crayon, spaghetti sauce, fruit punch, or vomit (There’s that word) out of your carpet? It isn’t ANY fun
- Health benefits – It does NOT absorb allergens! Happiness lowers blood preassure, right? So, when Mama is happy, everyone is happy and if that isn’t true, don’t tell Mama.
- Cost efficient – I hear you saying, “Oh no, hardwood is more expensive.” It isn’t. Do a little math with me. Oh, I love numbers. Can you hear the adding machine? Lovely sound isn’t it? Anyway, here’s the math…
Carpet = $4.00 per square foot
Hardwood = $11 per square foot
- $4.00 sq ft divided by 20 years = $0.20 per sq ft
- I doubt you could go longer than 20 years. I’m sure it would look well worn already.
- $11.00 sq ft divided by 100 years = $0.11 per sq ft
- After 100 years you STILL don’t have to replace it. Just refinish it and maybe it could go another 100 years.
- $11.00 sq ft divided by 200 years = $0.06 per sq ft
Obviously, the choice for the least expensive flooring in the long run is HARDWOOD…ding, ding, ding, ding…WE HAVE A WINNER!
So there! (I’m gloating!)