Please don’t groan because today is the “emotional” holiday. It really doesn’t mean you have to give or get extravagant gifts. Instead, Valentine’s Day is the one day set aside to be all sappy, mushy and romantic! It’s allowed and even encouraged, so take advantage of the day set aside for love!
Ah yes, love, love, love and more love!
It’s the subject I talk so much about because I believe it is the beginning to all successful actions and relationships.
Traditions And Gifts On Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is a day of romance and love. Some of the common traditions and gifts given on this special day include expressing love by:
- exchanging Valentine’s Day cards often decorated with symbols of love which include cupid, hearts and red roses
- sending flowers, especially red and pink roses
- giving chocolate, often in heart shaped boxes
- wishing “Happy Valentine’s Day” to everyone we love
- giving stuffed animals such as teddy bears
- attending balls and dance parties
- saying “I love you” for the first time while in a romantic setting
- proposing marriage
- giving expensive jewelry such as bracelets, necklaces, earrings and wrist watches
- giving perfume and cologne
- enjoying a romantic, candle lit dinner for two in a nice restaurant
Flowers On Valentine’s Day And Their Color Meanings
As you may already know, the most popular flower on Valentine’s Day is the rose and specifically the red rose. The color of the flower has a meaning and the red rose is the symbol of love. Some of the flower colors and their symbols are:
- Red – love and passion
- Burgundy – beauty
- Pink – grace, gentle feelings of love
- Dark Pink – gratitude
- Light Pink – admiration, sympathy
- Coral – desire
- Orange – enthusiasm and desire
- Peach – desire and excitement or appreciation
- Yellow – friendship, celebration and joy
- Lilac – love at first sight and enchantment
- White – true love, purity of the mind and reverence
Since I’ve been such a mess since my daughter, Alyssa, moved, I haven’t been able to do my “normal” Valentine’s gift thing. But just because I have been out of sorts and she is so far away, didn’t mean that I wasn’t going to be prepared for Valentine’s Day!
I felt quite excited because I knew Alyssa had no idea that I was going to send her flowers especially the day before Valentine’s Day. The florist delivered her big bouquet yesterday after which we exchanged the following texts:
- Alyssa: They’re beautiful Thank you
Sherry: 😀 Surprise! Happy Valentines! Do you feel special? You should feel special because you ARE special!
- Sherry: By the way, me and that florist have already become friends haha
Alyssa: I love them
Sherry: I’m so glad. I just want you to know that you may be out of sight, but you are definitely not out of mind! We all miss you tons and we are also very very very proud of you
Well, I’m quite happy that the flowers were delivered without a hitch and that I totally surprised Alyssa. For at least the next week, she will be able to enjoy beautiful flowers and have a constant reminder that I love her with my whole heart!