In William Shakespeare’s literary work entitled, As You Like It, Act 4, Scene 1, he writes:
Rosalind: Are you not good?
Orlando: I hope so.
Rosalind: Why then, can one desire too much of a good thing?
Well, can one desire too much of a good thing?
Bella, You Have Too Much Of A Good Thing
With the temperatures reaching the higher nineties and a “feels like index” in the hundreds, I decided it was time to cut some of the fur off of Bella’s coat. It’s an easy task because she likes being primped on and gets so relaxed that her eyes are shut during most of the grooming.
As you can tell, I cut a bunch off. Oh really? You don’t think that is a a lot of fur?
Does it look different from this view?
I think it looks like enough fur to cover a small dog!
If Bella lived outside, having THAT much fur would not be a good thing. Actually, it would just be be too much of a good thing.
Ahhh, there’s that saying again.
The Cutting Process Is Too Much Of A Good Thing
When I cut someone’s hair, I usually spread a big sheet out, place a chair in the middle of the sheet and then cut their hair. When the job is all finished, I simply gather the sheet and shake the hair off outside. However, cutting the fur off Bella works a little differently.
I can’t really place Bella on a chair and expect her to sit up like a human being. It just isn’t going to happen. Bella either sits or lays on my lap and then I cut her fur a little at a time. When I cut off some fur, I place it in a pile on the table. Sometimes the pile of fur ends up looking bigger than the dog!
There is one disadvantage of having Bella on my lap while she is groomed. All those little pieces of cut fur end up on my pants or in this case, on my leggings. Hundreds or even thousands of tiny little pieces of fur get stuck to me and won’t just shake off. I definitely don’t want to pick each little strand off one at a time! She really needed lots of fur cut off this time, but maybe doing it all at once was too much of a good thing.
Oh my, that phrase just appeared again.
Is Too Much Of A Good Thing Too Much Of A Good Thing?
What does Too Much Of A Good Thing mean?
Too Much Of A Good Thing means:
- more of a thing than is good or useful
- something pleasant becomes unpleasant because you have too much of it
- too much of something that in smaller amounts is good
- excess may cause harm
- overabundance of something is not good
Basically too much of a good thing means that having too much of a good thing isn’t really good after all.
Let me give a few examples of too much of a good thing being too much of a good thing:
- Riding the roller coaster until I throw up is definitely too much of a good thing gone bad because I hate throwing up.
- Eating a yummy food like my Baked Pumpkin Cheesecake Surprise is great, but eating the WHOLE cheesecake at once all by myself is too much of a good thing. No, I’ve never done that…yet.
- Working out and exercising is great for the body (I can’t believe I just typed those words), but doing it so much/long/hard that you have a heart attack is too much of a good thing turned bad.
- Adding lemons to your diet is healthy, but eating so many lemons daily that you ruin the enamel on your teeth is too much of a good thing gone obsessively bad.
- Being honest is a good thing, but being honest without tact is too much of a good thing. An example would be the comparison between the statements, “I think that dress isn’t very flattering to your figure” or “You look super fat in that dress.”
- Having a wife is great, but having a wife while having several girlfriends on the side is too much of a good thing. The logic being that a wife is a good thing and a girlfriend is a good thing, but not at the same time. Some people would view it as having a death wish. 😉
- Listening to music is an enjoyable activity, but listening to it so loud and long that you go deaf is too much of a good thing.
Obviously, having too much of something that is enjoyable, desirable, fun and good is not good. I believe, however, that there are a few exceptions to the rule.
- Love is a very good thing and there just can’t ever be too much love. I mean love in general terms because loving someone who doesn’t love you back is like waiting for a ship at the airport.
- A person can never have too much understanding and that doesn’t mean becoming a doormat.
- Intelligence is VERY sexy to me. No one can ever acquire too much knowledge.
- In Psalms 30:5 it reads, “…weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” Having experienced so much heartache, pain and sadness, I don’t think there can ever be too much joy in one’s life.
Obviously I didn’t cut too much fur off of Bella because she still looks cute. She really did have too much of a good thing and I’m glad I took the time to groom her into a very close cut. She has been bouncing around like a crazy dog, so I think she likes it and feels better too.
In a more lighthearted vein, there are some things I really like a lot. You know, stuff like ice cream, chocolate, a sunrise, the sunset, the beach, mountains and passionate love. Those things fall into a totally separate category where my logic agrees with this very outspoken woman…