A lap dog is literally a small dog that may be held in the lap. However, the slang definition of lap dog is a servile dependent or follower. In other words, a brown nosing suck up.
I have a lap dog that doesn’t have to brown nose although her nose really is brown. Bella just loves me and enjoys my company no matter what I’m doing or not doing. I find her to be a great comfort especially since I spend so much time without other people around.
Traits Of A Lap Dog
There are a few basic traits of a lap dog that are quite obvious if you think about them.
- Snuggly – Lap dogs like to snuggle.
- Satisfied – A lap dog is quite satisfied just sitting in your lap.
- Peaceful – No chaos and hyperness surrounds a lap dog while they are sitting peacefully in your lap.
- Comforter – Lap dogs are naturally comforting because of the nature of their peaceful, satisfied snuggliness.
- Any Size – Most people think of lap dogs as being tiny dogs, however, some tiny dogs are definitely not suitable as a lap dog because they are fidgety. Also, some big dogs don’t realize that your lap is smaller than their body. So lap dogs come in all shapes, sizes and colors.
- Attentive – Don’t even try to be secretive because lap dogs notice every single thing you do.
- Involved – Not only are lap dogs attentive, but they want to be totally involved in whatever you are doing.
- Quiet – As long as the lap dog is lounging in your lap, they are quiet and often snoring. I can’t promise that quietness will continue after they get up to roam around.
- Loyal – While sitting in your lap, a lap dog is extremely loyal to you. If they often sit in your lap, they eventually won’t even open an eyelid when someone else walks into the room.
- Sleepers – A lap dog has no problem sleeping. You can move around and they still just keep on snoozing.
- Trusting – After being in your lap repeatedly, a lap dog will trust you. You can get up and leave the room, but the lap dog knows when you return, he can plop back down on your lap again and you will welcome him.
- Self-Entertaining – It doesn’t take much to occupy the attention of a lap dog. They will often bring a toy to accompany them in your lap. Even a small thread or tiny rip in your clothes can occupy them while sitting on your lap. Of course, the rip might become a giant hole before they leave your lap.
- Aware – Just because the lap dog has his eyes closed and is actually snoring doesn’t mean that they aren’t aware. Try opening a candy bar and watch how fast their eyes pop open.
- Warm – If the lap dog is in your lap, you’ll stay toasty warm.
- Patient – No matter how long it takes you to do something, a lap dog will patiently wait for you to do it especially if it involves the possibility of getting food.
How You Can Be A Lap Dog
I’m not going to tell you how to actually become a lap dog because you are a human being and definitely larger than a small dog. However, the traits of a lap dog are attainable and applicable to people too.
I think that by becoming more like a lap dog, happiness is easier to find. If you start with patience, everything else will fall into place.
Which trait are you going to start working on first?