But what about these crayons?
I have been the proverbial red-orange crayon. I was born with FLAMING red hair. I was complimented by adults and persecuted by my peers. According to RHCP, there are sixteen different “red” hair colors:
- copper or cupric
Don’t let me lose you because this gets really interesting. Besides, this is REALLY about ME, so be polite and show a little interest (grin). Ap
Do you know one reason why that is truly fascinating? I’m going to tell you. I’m sure that is shocking. (I’m in a funny mood)
Approximately only 1% to 2% of the world’s human population has red hair! People with red hair often also have fair skin color, freckles and sensitivity to ultraviolet light. There is a gene called the MC1R that is found on chromosome 16 which is the basis of red hair. This means also that melanin is lower in people with red hair, thus their inability to “tan” and the higher prevalence of skin cancer. That is why I wear sunblock 75 during the summer. Did you even know that they make sunblock 75? Ridiculous isn’t it!
So the mutated MC1R cell also does something else that redheads in general do not like to hear, but here goes…The “mutation” in the cell causes the release of the hormone that stimulates these cells and it in turn stimulates the part of the brain responsible for “pain” and the sensitivity to pain. Ugh. That was hard to type! The positive is that everyone in my family who laughs at me because I act like a lunatic when I get hurt, needs to apologize. OBVIOUSLY my pain is REAL and I REALLY CAN’T HELP THAT I HURT AND LOOK LIKE A WIMP. Wow! This is getting me all worked up!
Here are a few facts:
- Contrary to popular belief, red hair is not going to become extinct in the near future. Because of the recessive aspect of the gene, it will be in existence for a long time.
- That same recessive aspect means that even if both people do not have red hair, they can still have a redheaded child. This was the case with my parents…both had brown hair. I had a couple grandmothers who had red hair.
- All redheads do not have a “fiery” temper. I did. (No comments from my family) I did not like the lack of control that I felt when I became angry, so I purposely worked to improve this trait in myself. I CHANGED! I do not get angry three times a day just “because” as I did in the past. People who know me now can not imagine me ever getting mad. I would say with that statement, I can claim to have successfully killed off the demon of ugly, fiery temper which is now buried. May it ever rest in peace…that was really funny.
- Redheads have been worshipped in some time periods and murdered during other eras. Strange how we can be upheld like angels and Gods and yet not soon after, burned like witches, vampires and demons. To set the record straight we are not any of the above although the mystery behind people with red hair is ever present.
- Carrot tops are GREEN. Have you ever pulled a carrot out of the garden. Before you pulled it out of the dirt, what color did you see? It was GREEN. You saw leaves. Duh! When we are children, we do not like all those names you think are cute. So if you have a redheaded child, please realize that we have a rough time at school and our peers see us as the perfect target for the brunt of all their bullying. Now that I’m grown, I just love my red hair. It adds to my quirkiness and uniqueness.
The other person in my family who has red hair is my niece, Brittany. I wanted to attach a picture of my hair compared to her hair. As you can see below, they appear to be almost identical in color. My hair is on the left and Brittany’s is on the right. Phenomenal.
So compare that with my daughter’s blond hair. Talk about contrasting colors!
Did you learn anything? I left out the part that redheads are the kindest, most sincere, highly intelligent, extraordinarily talented people on Earth. Oh come on, don’t you believe me!
So the next time you lose a redheaded friend or family member in a crowd, just stand on something tall and I’m sure you’ll spot them quickly. See? There ARE advantages to having red hair!