Confessing With A Swift Kick In The Rear

by Sherry Riter in Choice,Self-Development

The other day I was feeling rather depressed. I needed comfort and all I could think about was the delicious taste of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Those sweet confections have been the food most missed since I started eating grain free.

Doughnuts from Krispy Kreme can make me quite crazed.

animated long haired redhead

So I gave into the feeling of depression and ate some doughnuts.

Actually I ate six warm and soft doughnuts.

I snarfed them so fast.

(hanging my head down in shame)

I immediately got a headache and was so sick in my stomach that I wanted to puke.

The next morning, my face was broken out with a rash and my joints slightly ached. I told myself that I deserved it and so I kept my mouth shut and didn’t complain.

But the confession doesn’t end there.

Yes, it gets worse.

I went to the theater Saturday and saw Liam Neeson in the movie, “Non-Stop.” EVERY food and drink item sold at the movies has grain in it except the bottles of water. Of course, I was very bad because I reached into a popcorn bag and ate many mouthfuls!

(hanging my head further down in shame)

Now my neck is broke out in a rash, I’m sick in my stomach AND all my joints are swollen and ache. I won’t even tell you about my headache.

Yes, it is all my fault. I have no one to blame for my miserable physical discomfort except for myself.

Burying my depression in a box of doughnuts and a bag of popcorn isn’t as bad as escaping from reality by drowning in alcohol or drugs. But not coping in a healthy manner is still not a great way to handle it and I know that these food items wreak havoc on my body.

Doing this is what you can call stupidity or insanity. I’m not sure which is worse.

I’ve confessed and given myself a swift kick in the rear. Hopefully I won’t make such poor choices next time. Sunday, while I’m on a day trip south, I will drink a ton of water to get the toxins out of my body which means I will need to make far too many stops during a relatively short drive. Plus, I have to try to hide my rash and not scratch it.

If anyone asks how I got the rash, I think I’ll just say that I was necking and his beard and mustache caused it. THAT sounds like a whole lot more fun than, “I ate doughnuts.”

Is necking or doughnuts better as a pick me up when I’m depressed?

Ha! Do you really need me to answer that question?

Here’s my neck. Go for it.

1 Jerel Gall March 9, 2014 at 7:18 am

I guess it is better than making out with the doughnuts…. Maybe making out ON the doughnuts…. I’ll bring a few dozen with me.

2 Sherry Riter March 16, 2014 at 12:54 am

LOLOLOLOL Too funny! 😛

3 Joan March 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm

That animated picture of you, with your long curly red hair, sitting at a table with a pile of doughnuts in front of you was the best yet! So, you gave into your depression and ate six warm and soft doughnuts. Were they at least Krispy Kreme Doughnuts? (I always say, “Nothing but the best when you’re depressed.”) 🙂

4 Sherry Riter March 15, 2014 at 8:05 am

Yes, Joan, they were glorious Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts.

5 Joan March 9, 2014 at 2:25 pm

And you went to a movie and ate popcorn? I can’t believe you ate popcorn too. My you certainly must have been depressed! 🙁

6 Sherry Riter March 15, 2014 at 8:05 am

I don’t even like eating popcorn. Go figure!

7 Joan March 9, 2014 at 2:31 pm

What in the world were you so depressed over that you would fall off the wagon and eat six warm and soft doughnuts and popcorn too? 🙁

8 Sherry Riter March 15, 2014 at 8:06 am

Surely you don’t want me to make a list? LOL

9 Joan March 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Of course, if that were me and I was depressed, I wouldn’t have eaten six warm and soft doughnuts and popcorn too. I would have eaten an egg salad sandwich piled high with mayonnaise and a bag of potato chips. But then again, it wasn’t my depression – it was your depression. 🙁

10 Sherry Riter March 15, 2014 at 8:06 am

I like mayo, but not “piled high” on anything. To each their own! 😉

11 Joan March 9, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Which only goes to show that you’re human. (Who among us has never turned to food for comfort?) You were depressed and you turned to food to comfort you. Unfortunately, rather than comforting you, these foods which you are allergic to wrecked havoc on your body.

Okay, you had your rebellion. Sounds like you’re back on track. Drink tons of water and get the toxins out of your body. I do know one thing. When we try to numb our pain by practicing self-destructive behavior it is only a temporary fix. The real fix comes we have the courage to look deep within ourselves for the answers to what is really depressing us. As William Shakespeare so aptly said, “To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.” 🙂

12 Sherry Riter March 15, 2014 at 8:07 am

I love that quote by Shakespeare. Yes, I am human. Oh so very human.

13 Joan March 9, 2014 at 3:50 pm