In The Eyes Of A Child

I never want to forget
how to immerse myself in the sweet simplicity of life
attained only by seeing it
through the eyes of an innocent child.

Being determined to remember
that today is all that matters and all that exists,
so live it by laughing often,
being kind
and loving unconditionally.

Finding happiness in the little things
like bubbles that pop after landing on the grass,
food eaten with the fingers,
catching snowflakes with your tongue
and the cold noses of puppies.

Marveling at the magnificence of fluffy white clouds,
four leaf clovers
and sunsets that turn into a sky filled with a million bright stars.

Then when the day is done and darkness fills the sky,
give into the warmth of a favorite quilt,
the tug of heavy eyelids
and drift into wistful dreams.

~ Sherry Riter ~

bella red poodle alyssa child black & white

“When a child loves you for a long,
long time, not just to play with,
but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.”
~ Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit ~

bella red poodle alyssa child color

Thank God for children and puppies.

1 Dorothy Sander November 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

So beautiful. Thank you for the reminder. Children help us remember…

2 Sherry Riter November 6, 2013 at 8:02 am

3 teresa vett November 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm

She is so beautiful and I find myself thinking, “Did I have something to do with that beautiful child,” and my silly mind says, “Yes ding-a-ling, you are her Nanny”. My point is that when I reflect, I marvel at life and the blessings I was given. I will marvel forever. Thank you for coming to me.

4 Sherry Riter November 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

😀 Thanks Mom.

5 Bonnie Covey November 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Beautiful. Thank you. We need to be reminded of these things every now and then.

6 Sherry Riter November 6, 2013 at 8:00 am

My pleasure!!! 😀

7 Anne November 6, 2013 at 12:14 am

What a sweet, wonderful post 🙂
Now I am going to go to sleep and snuggle with my little bear.
Anne 🙂

8 Sherry Riter November 6, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thank you! 😀

9 Diane Warga-Arias November 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I love to be connected with parents who understand the blessing children are!

It has been about 2 years since my dear little boy passed and somehow I emerged from the unimaginable grief…to live in gratitude for the time I had with Ricky. Because he was a special needs child, I was certainly “intellectually” prepared..& .I used to tell people (when they asked) that I was more afraid of him outliving me than him passing. I was NOT prepared at all. I have been following you via Facebook and I admire you as a survivor of trauma…you are an inspiration as I continue to re-build a life that has been defined by my son for over 18 years. <3

10 Sherry Riter November 11, 2013 at 5:55 am

I’m so sorry for your loss Diane. I’m so sorry for the pain you have suffered.

Thank you for your kind words. I barely made it out alive from my struggle with PTSD and I complained the whole time, so I don’t feel like an inspiration, but thank you for saying that I help you. {{{hugsss}}}

11 Joan November 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Your post was so beautiful that it took my breath away. Luckily I got it back so that I could write this comment. 🙂

12 Sherry Riter November 11, 2013 at 5:52 am

LOLOLOLOL Thank you and thanks for making me laugh!