Your vs You’re – Grammar, Language & Enlightenment

by Sherry Riter in Other

youre welcome

You’re gonna miss this
You’re gonna want this back
You’re gonna wish these days hadn’t gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you’re gonna miss this”

Oh hi! I was singing, but I guess you noticed. I had that song stuck in my head and couldn’t get it out, so I sing it a couple times and then it goes away.

So how are you today?

I can’t hear your answer.

Did you answer?

I forgot. I can’t hear you because this is a blog. Don’t fret because there is a simple solution.

You can tell me in the comments below how you are feeling today, but before you disappear to the end of this post, I want to tell you about something.

Actually it isn’t about “something” at all. I want to talk about “your” and “you’re” for a minute.

When And How To Correctly Use “YOUR”

I’m going to make this really easy and a little funny. Ready?

YOUR = Of or relating to ownership of something or referring to oneself

Let me give you a few examples of sentences using YOUR, but notice that you can use MY instead of YOUR in any of these sentences:

YOUR homemade cookies taste as dry as the Sahara Desert.

Who’s YOUR Daddy?!

YOUR kisses are sweeter than honey.

Now let’s do the simple test and replace YOUR with MY to see if the sentences still make sense.

MY homemade cookies taste as dry as the Sahara Desert. (That’s not true!)

Who’s MY Daddy?! (I’m not telling! LOL)

MY kisses are sweeter than honey. (Duh!)

The switch between the two words works grammatically, so obviously the sentences should use YOUR.

When And How To Correctly Use “YOU’RE”

YOU’RE = Use when referring to or describing someone else

In the example sentences you can replace YOU’RE with YOU ARE:

YOU’RE not going to have the last piece of chocolate candy!

Once YOU’RE practicing healthier meals, pickled pig’s feet don’t usually show up very often as a snack.

YOU’RE going to miss me when I’m gone.

Now let’s do the simple test and replace YOU’RE with YOU ARE to see if the sentences still make sense.

YOU ARE not going to have the last piece of chocolate candy!

Once YOU ARE practicing healthier meals, pickled pig’s feet don’t usually show up very often as a snack.

YOU ARE going to miss me when I’m gone.

The switch between the two words works grammatically, so obviously the sentences should use YOU’RE.

What’s The Big Deal About “YOUR” and “YOU’RE”?!

“YOUR” is not interchangeable with “YOU’RE” and that is important to remember!

Here’s the most common sentences using “YOUR” and YOU’RE incorrectly:

Correct—> YOU’RE welcome! = YOU ARE welcome! <---Correct Wrong ---> YOUR welcome! = MY welcome! <---Wrong

Yep! Now you got it!

So do you have a problem with the proper way to use “YOUR” and “YOU’RE?

1 Ruth Hill August 10, 2013 at 11:05 am

This one bothers me, but my biggest pet peeve is “lose” vs. “loose.” I am so tired of people writing they are going to loose weight! I mean, I wish we could loose the weight. It would be much easier than losing the weight. Oh, and quite vs. quiet. I am tired of people writing that they had to be quite. How on earth can you be quite?? I could go on and on, but those are just my pet peeves when it comes to grammar/spelling.

2 Sherry Riter August 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm

LOL Yes Ruth! There are quite a few words that drive me crazy too!

I want to know how you loose weight LOL 😛

3 Joan August 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm

You’re going to miss me when I’m gone! You won’t (will not) have my comments to read every day, or is it everyday? Why did you write a post about Your vs You’re – Grammar, Language & Enlightenment? You just opened up a can of worms, or to be more exact a “Grammar, Language & Enlightment Can Of Worms.” Now you’re (you are) going to have to write another post called Every day vs Everyday.” I never know when to use every day or everyday. And while you’re at it, you can write another post called Every One vs Everyone, yup I also get confused on when to use every one or everyone. And while you’re writing the “Every Day vs Everyday” post, find a song that fits this lesson, just like the Trace Adkins’ song, “You’re Going To Miss This” fitted today’s post so perfectly. And you might as well also find a song that fits the post “Every One vs Everyone.”

Okay, that’s your homework for today. I look forward to reading your posts about “Every Day vs Everyday” and “Every One vs Everyone” – or if you prefer not to write two more “Grammar, Language & Enlightenment Can Of Worms” posts then, (notice I used “then” rather than “than” – come to think of it that’s another post you can write – “Then vs Than”), just reply back in your comment. But the most important thing is not to forget the songs. Trace Adkins’ song “You’re Going To Miss This” was so true. It is a wonderful reminder for every one (everyone) of us to enjoy each and every day (everyday), because life really passes by too quickly.

Postscript: If you think this comment was complicated to read, imagine how complicated it was for me to write. 🙂

4 Sherry Riter August 10, 2013 at 11:48 pm

LOL Joan!

Since this post was a big hit, I thought about how I will do the next grammar post. I’m going to have pictures that are pertinent and FUNNY! 😛

You are not EVER going to be gone! 🙁 You can’t go before me or we can go together! {{{hugsss}}}

5 Sophie Ouellet August 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm

You’re an inspiration, and I love your blog! My first language is French and when I see native English speakers misuse those words, I cringe!!! 🙂

6 Sherry Riter August 10, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thank you Sophie! I think French is such a beautiful language! 🙂

7 teresa vett August 10, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I saw this and I thought , yep this is gonna be a English lesson! Wow , hot diggity , oh boy, I am finished, lol

8 Sherry Riter August 10, 2013 at 11:45 pm