Decisions On The Road – To My Blog

by Sherry Riter in Holiday

Reaching your full potential,
finding love and
being happy
requires choosing a path,
fearlessly venturing forward
and getting up each time you fall.

open road eerie trees

The choices won’t always be clear.
Often nothing will feel right,
but don’t quit
because before you know it,
life will start to make more sense
and good things will happen again.

open road blue sky

That is the message that has been echoed throughout my writing for the past four years. Actually, four years ago today I wrote my first blog post. My life back then was miserable, but I didn’t become really vocal about it until a year later when I got PTSD.

The hope of a better life, a happier life and a more fulfilling life is threaded throughout my posts. My life has not been easy and it has felt like there would never be an end to my unhappiness. Even now sometimes, I am overwhelmed by the things I haven’t accomplished in my life and regret weighs heavy on my heart.

My blog has been my best friend. Being able to write my hopes, dreams, feelings and thoughts saved me during the insane part of my PTSD flashbacks. Without this blog, I don’t think I would have made it through the terror that tormented my mind. I honestly can’t believe I’ve written so many posts. Why haven’t I run out of things to say yet?

I had no idea when I got pneumonia during Christmas in 2008, that it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Because I was confined to the couch for three weeks with pneumonia, I read my first blog and started learning what blogging was all about. At the time I thought that I was being cursed with pneumonia. Looking back now, maybe I should thank God for the blessing of getting so sick.

Perspective makes all the difference. It is always that hind sight thing.

I now have some hind sight. Because of all the unhappiness during the last four years, I have learned what is really important in life – people, love and loving the people.

While standing on the edge of life and death, it changed me forever. It not only changed my attitude and personality, but it changed my brain. After the excitement of last week (I haven’t shared that with you yet), I can look at my life with a renewal of hope.

Hope and determination to accomplish my old dreams.

Hope and determination to live my life fully.

Hope and determination to help other people.

Hope and determination to love and be loved.

Hope and determination to create new dreams.

So Happy Birthday Blog! Thank you, Blog, for listening to me and recording every word I wrote when real people didn’t want to listen or couldn’t understand. Thank you, Blog, for helping me to find my sanity again. Thank you, Blog, for helping me share my thoughts with so many wonderful people around the world who have left their fingerprints on my life forever. Thank you, Blog, for sticking with me when my life was the worst it has ever been. I can’t thank you enough, Blog, for helping me to make the right decisions on the road that stretched ominously ahead. Thank you, Blog, for empowering me to find my voice again.

1 Skip_D April 23, 2013 at 5:01 am

Happy Birthday, Blog!!! I’m so glad you’re here! if it weren’t for you, I never would have gotten to know Sherry!!! 😀

2 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 7:23 am

😀 So true! Thank you!

3 Joan April 23, 2013 at 7:06 am

Happy fourth birthday to The Redhead Riter’s blog! You have reached more people than you will ever know through your writing and you have touched the lives of more people than you will ever guess!

Keep on keeping on and stop feeling overwhelmed by the things you haven’t accomplished in your life. You are being much too hard on yourself. Think of all the things you have already accomplished and will continue to accomplish. Anyone who reads your blog knows that you are a winner! 🙂

4 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 7:25 am

Thank you, Joan! {{{huggssss}}}}

5 Joan April 23, 2013 at 7:11 am

You wrote, “I honestly can’t believe I’ve written so many posts. Why haven’t I run out of things to say yet?” To answer your question, you probably haven’t run out of things to say because you know how much I love to comment on your posts. If you didn’t write your posts I would have nothing to comment on! 🙂

6 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 7:26 am

LOL That is too funny. I guess you would be writing on napkins at restaurants, paper shopping bags, receipts and I bet even toilet paper! LOL LOL 😛

7 Sue April 23, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Happy Blogging Birthday to you.

8 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Thank you very much! 😀

9 Tina Barbour April 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Happy blog birthday to you! And blessings to you as you continue on! 🙂

10 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm

And I will continue on! Thank you so much for the encouragement! 🙂

11 John April 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Happy birthday to the blog! I have created a few blogs, most often as ways to deal with difficulties I face in my life. There have been few inventions with the power of this medium to tell our stories and get real, productive answers from others. It’s an excellent way to blow off steam. Here’s to many more years, and hopefully many more nice things! It’s been a pleasure reading your stuff.

12 Sherry Riter April 23, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Thank you so much!!! I agree…here’s to many more years of nice stuff! c(_) Cheers! LOL

13 Young Werther April 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm
14 Sherry Riter April 24, 2013 at 7:00 am

Thank you very much for the birthday wish and song. I do believe that all this mess I’ve had in my life will “only make me stronger” even if I have complained about it. LOL

15 donna foreverserenity April 24, 2013 at 11:14 am

I don’t come by as often, but I wanted to say Happy Birthday!!! It’s great to have celebrations, and even better to have a voice through your blog you do amazing things! Congrats!

16 Sherry Riter April 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Thank you for stopping by and your lovely comment. 😀