Messages In Rebus Puzzle Pictures – Do You Know Them?

by Sherry Riter in Fun,Fun Facts

rebus picture giraffe neck of the woodsThe weather in my neck of the woods has been absolutely fabulous! My mood is much brighter when I’m not trying to stay cool and we stay out of triple digit temperatures with sunshine that just doesn’t stop. So today we are going to talk about rebus picture puzzles because they are fun and you may learn a little something too.

By the way, that giant giraffe with the funny looking neck and a + S next to it is a rebus picture puzzle.

What Is A Rebus Puzzle

The official American Heritage Dictionary definition is:

rebus (noun) the plural would be rebuses: A representation of words in the form of pictures or symbols, often presented as a puzzle.

A rebus is a combination of words, letters, numbers, symbols or pictures that are put together to convey a hidden word, phrase or message. For instance, let me give you a letter and word rebus:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8…35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 LIFE

Do you know what that means? It is a rebus depicting the phrase, “Life begins after 40!” :D

Okay, well the numbers geek in me just loves that one.

Remember the picture of the giraffe with the funny neck at the beginning of the post? It was to depict a phrase I used…”neck of the woods”. Get it? The giraffe has wood as his neck and you add an “s” to it to get “neck of the woods”.

Let’s do another one together. Here’s the rebus puzzle picture:

picture rebus puzzles pie in the sky

That one is very straightforward. Do you know what phrase it represents? Think it through…

Sunny day, grass, trees, sky, pie, pie up high in the sky…”Pie in the sky!”

Now do you get it? That “pie in the sky” is a rebus puzzle picture! I know this isn’t rocket science, but it sure is a lot lighter than some of the heavy stuff I have discussed in my posts. Surely we both could use a break from all that mess. :D

A Little Rebus History

The rebus has been around for a long time. The ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and early Chinese pictographs used an early form of rebus in their picture writings. Rebus pictures have been used on Greek and Roman coins, as ciphers, on tombstones, personal seals, in religious art and architecture. In our era, the rebus has become known as a puzzle, game or a way to convey a secret message. A couple familiar word rebuses that are used in our every day life include, “IOU” and “C U L8tr” which mean “I owe you” and “See you later”.

Modern Day Rebus Puzzle Pictures

After all this talk about a rebus, I think it is time for you to try your hand at it. I’ve created six rebus puzzle pictures. They are all common sayings. I can’t post the answer under them because it won’t give you time to figure them out, so I will post the answers in a few days. I know! I’m so bad! So if you think you know the answer, leave it in the comments. You can guess as many times as you want to guess.

Without further adieu, here are some rebus puzzle pictures…

#1

picture rebus puzzles money hair

#2

picture rebus puzzles flames woman

#3

picture rebus puzzles fish cat tails

#4

picture rebus puzzles alien food

#5

picture rebus puzzles rock brickwall

#6

picture rebus puzzles head shoes

Can you figure them out?

1 Joan September 23, 2012 at 2:08 am

Are you kidding? Do you expect me to do this without any hints? (Of course, I bet Skip will get all of them without as much as a hint!) I might as well congratulate Skip now! But if he gets all of them, then won’t he ruin it for everyone else? Then you will have to put up more pictures and ask Skip to refrain from commenting! :)

2 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 2:12 am

LOL Tough luck! I’m not giving hints! Don’t read everyone’s comments and then you won’t know the answers! You can figure them out. They are COMMON SAYINGS like “Pie in the sky” and “Neck of the woods”. *cinchy*

3 Joan September 23, 2012 at 2:20 am

Okay, I won’t read anyone’s comments, (except Skip’s), and don’t be surprised if you never hear from me again! That’s how long it might take me to figure them out! :)

4 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 2:24 am

Joan! Skip’s comments are precisely the ones that you should NOT read! LOL LOL LOL So you think it will take you an eternity to figure out the pictures? Well, I’m sure my mother will have the same attitude. She hates stuff like this LOL She also hates board games. When she starts losing, she quits. LOL LOL LOL

5 Joan September 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm

SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWERS TO 2 OF THE REBUS PUZZLES DON’T READ THIS COMMENT!

Ohhh, I’m feeling sooo brilliant! :) Shocking as it may seem, I solved 2 of the rebus puzzles!

#2 is: If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
#5 is: Between a rock and a hard place.

Redhead Riter, I impressed myself! LOL

6 Joan September 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm

ANOTHER SPOILER ALERT!!! DON’T READ THIS COMMENT IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO REBUS PUZZLE #1

OMG, I am feeling sooo smart!!! :)

#1 is: A dollar for your thoughts.

7 Joan September 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Redhead Riter, can you believe this? I figured out the answers to 3 of the rebus puzzles! I’m definitely on a roll here! :)

8 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

2, go back to the drawing board. LOL

9 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Nope. George has “bangs”

10 Joan September 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

SPOILER ALERT! DON’T READ THIS COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO REBUS PUZZLE #1.

George has “bangs”? Ohhh, I just got it!!! :)

#1 is: A bang for your buck.

OMG, I really am impressing myself! LOL

11 Joan September 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Now I’m going to tackle the really hard rebus puzzle. I’m not sure about this one, but I think the answer to rebus puzzle #6 is: She’s got style. (I’m basing this answer on the fact that I know that Alyssa has style, because she takes after her mother!) :)

If I’m wrong about this one tell me to go back to the drawing board! :)

12 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Nope. LOL

13 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Yep! Got it!

14 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm

LOL I can tell you have impressed yourself. :D

15 Joan September 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm

SPOILER ALERT! DON’T READ THIS COMMENT IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO REBUS PUZZLE #3.

#3 is: Fish and visitors smell in three days.
– Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1736
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 – 1790)

OMG, I’m simply gloating! :)

16 Joan September 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I never thought I would say this, but I’m ENJOYING this game! :)

17 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’M SO GLAD!

18 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Wrong! LOL

19 Skip_D September 23, 2012 at 4:26 am

You never see rebuses anymore! How cool! Where did you get the idea to do a post about them? ;)

I’ve got one for sure, but I’m gonna cogitate a bit to see if I can nail some more before I post any answers. Sorry, Joan! ^_^

20 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

LOL LOL LOL

Joan will be so sad that she can’t steal your answers!!!!

21 Susanne September 23, 2012 at 6:51 am

No, I didn’t get these and it could take me 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 15, 20, 25, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 , 60, 65 STILL UNSOLVED! Did you like my own number Rebus?

Many decades ago, as a freshman in college, I was introduced to Haffenreffer beer. Guess was what in each bottle cap? Yes, you’re right. A Rebus word puzzle. The beer was nasty at best, but we drank it anyway for the thrill of solving the puzzle. We couldn’t possibly pour the beer down the sink, we practically saved up for it..lol. Although I never solved one of these on my own, your puzzles have stirred up memories that made me laugh this morning. That’s totally worth it.

Have a great day!

22 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

LOL I love your original rebus! LOL So you are obviously like Joan and Mom! LOL

I’m glad the rebuses brought back fond memories and laughs this morning. :D I hope you have a wonderful day!!!

23 Colleen Ann Guest September 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ve got 3 of them, but struggling with the others. Must be too early … Need more tea

24 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

LOL You go girl! 3 on the first glance is great! I’m sure you are already making Joan and Mom jealous. LOL

25 Colleen Ann Guest September 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

I love puzzles and I hate spoilers! So I won’t post my answers. I’m still stuck at 3! grrr! Not quite sure what the thing is on Georgie’s head…….

26 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm

George has “bangs” :D

27 Colleen Ann Guest September 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

Just got 4!!!

28 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yay!!!

29 Teresa Wilkinson September 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Love it the posts and rebus are wonderful but the arguing and playful banter are priceless..

30 Sherry Riter September 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thank you, Teresa!!!!

Yes, I love the back and forth with everyone. So much fun!

31 Sherry Riter September 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

Joan,
I’m posting hints to #3, #4, #6 because you asked me on the next post to come back over here and give you hints. LOL

#3 size
#4 alien pronoun
#6 location

:D

32 Joan September 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO REBUS PUZZLE #3 DON’T READ THIS COMMENT!

Okay, I now have the answer to #3! Your clue size helped me! :)

#3 is: A big fish in a small pond.

Now, if I can only think what #4 and #6 are. I’m working on it! :)

33 Joan September 24, 2012 at 11:46 am

I need more clues for #4 and #6! “Alien pronoun” for #4 and “location” for #6 is not enough of a hint! I’m working my brain too hard – and I don’t like working it this hard! LOL More hints, please! :)

34 Joan September 24, 2012 at 11:54 am

Maybe I need to get into my car and miss another off ramp on the freeway, while thinking about the answers to the rebus puzzles. Truly, it did happen. I missed my off ramp on the freeway because I was so busy thinking about the answers to the rebus puzzles! LOL

35 Joan September 24, 2012 at 11:57 am

PS I bet Skip hasn’t missed any off ramps! I bet he already has all 6 answers to the rebus puzzles! :)

36 Joan September 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Where is Skip anyways? He has remained strangely silent. Oh, Skip, come out from wherever you are and give us the answers to #4 and #6!

37 Joan September 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Skip said in his comment yesterday, “I’m gonna cogitate a bit to see if I can nail some more.” Maybe he’s still cogitating! :)

38 Sherry Riter September 25, 2012 at 7:39 am

Yep! That’s right. :D

39 Sherry Riter September 25, 2012 at 7:49 am

#4 Think of this literally. What is the Alien doing?

#6 Think of this one literally too. Object vs location.

:D

40 Joan September 26, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have solved rebus puzzle pictures #4 and #6! :)

#4 is: It takes the cake.
#6 is: Head over heels.

Okay, Redhead Riter, what do you have to say now? I solved all 6 rebus puzzle pictures! :)

41 Sherry Riter September 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

*CONGRATULATIONS!* *CONGRATULATIONS!* *CONGRATULATIONS!* Way to go Joan! You and Mom were the two people that I didn’t think would even bother trying, but you proved me wrong. Of course, Mom didn’t try, but you were the first to solve all of them!!! Let me go faint now. *CONGRATULATIONS!* *CONGRATULATIONS!* *CONGRATULATIONS!*