Gravatar Comment Pictures – Are You Noticed?

by Sherry Riter in Avatar,Blog tips

Do you make comments on blogs?

When you make a comment on a blog that enables commentor profile pictures, does your comment have a photo next to it?

If you have a website of your own, you really should have a picture. It is just one more thing to attract people to your own site. Don’t tell me that you don’t have a picture of yourself because you can use any photo! Do you have a cat? Dog? Horse?

Now you’re just being difficult!

Do a Google search for “Shrek” and use that picture. (wink)

Let me tell you how you can have your picture show up on any blog that has the profile pictures enabled. It is easier than setting up an email account!

Seriously!

How To Create A Gravatar

The little profile picture next to a comment is an avatar and the company that stores these avatars is called Gravatar! Don’t you just love that play on words?!!!

Let me show you how to set up your avatar picture.

Go to https://en.gravatar.com/ and enter your email address in the blank box that says, ENTER YOUR EMAIL TO GET STARTED. Then click the GET YOUR GRAVATAR button.

How To Make A Gravatar 01
An email will be sent to the email address you entered. Hop over to your email and make sure you check your SPAM FOLDER if you don’t see it in a couple minutes.

How To Make A Gravatar 02
A link will be given to activate your account. Click the link.

How To Make A Gravatar 03
You have been taken back to the Gravatar site and you will see your email listed.

Make up a username and click CHECK to ensure that the username you chose is available. If not, try again.

How To Make A Gravatar 04
If the username is accepted, choose a password and enter it twice for verification. Also, write it down so that you won’t forget it. Click SIGNUP.

Now you need to add a picture to your account to create your Gravatar avatar. Click ADD ONE BY CLICKING HERE.

How To Make A Gravatar 06
Choose where you want to get the picture from: the hard drive, the internet, a previously loaded image. I chose MY COMPUTER’S HARD DRIVE.

How To Make A Gravatar 07
I needed to look on my computer to find a picture I wanted to use, so the next step is to click BROWSE.

How To Make A Gravatar 08
Ahhhhh…I found one! I’m NOT trying to make you hungry. LOL

Click the image you want to use or eat. No, I mean click the image you want to use! Now click OPEN.

How To Make A Gravatar 09
The link to the image will now appear in the BROWSE box, so click NEXT.

How To Make A Gravatar 10
If the image isn’t the right size, you will be given the option to crop it. CLICK AND HOLD the dotted lines to move them. The dotted lines indicate where your photo will be cropped (cut off). When it looks the way you want it to look as indicated in the SMALL VIEW and LARGE VIEW shown to the right, go ahead and click CROP AND FINISH!

How To Make A Gravatar 11
Choose a rating for your Gravatar picture using the same ratings as is used on movies. The rating definitions are given to help you decide which rating to choose.

How To Make A Gravatar 12
Click MY ACCOUNT from the top right-hand corner and from the dropdown menu choose VIEW MY PROFILE.

How To Make A Gravatar 14
TaaDaa! Your Gravatar avatar is born!

How To Make A Gravatar 15
Now when you make a comment on a blog and enter your email address, the Gravatar avatar will populate. You won’t have a funny design next to your comment anymore.

How To Make A Gravatar 16

So go jump over, create a Gravatar avatar, then come back over and show us how it looks by MAKING A COMMENT BELOW. If you already have a Gravatar avatar, comment anyway and say, “Hi” so we can see your picture!

How was the tutorial?

Oh, I almost forgot. since you didn’t like the Shrek idea, here’s another picture you can use instead.

Spider Gravatar Avatar For Commenting
LOL I couldn’t help myself!

Sherry Riter, also known as The Redhead Riter. Sherry is witty, intelligent and addictive as she writes about cooking, family, marriage, failures, blogging tips, art, humor, inspiration, travel, PTSD and aging. Her goal is to inspire, motivate, educate and to make her audience laugh. Sherry embraces being a redhead and helps others to see the redhead point of view…"In some eras redheads were worshipped while others thought us witches. Personally, I like the former and think every day is 'Love a redhead day!'" She can also be found on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Linkedin, tweeting as @TheRedheadRiter and you can subscribe to her free blog feed.

1 Skip_D July 17, 2012 at 10:11 am

Excellent tutorial, as always! You do an amazing job of clarifying technical subjects & making them painless & fun!

…& I think jumping spiders, with their big eyes & big brains, are cute! :) wonderful colors! :)

2 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Skip, painless and fun? Only to a geek! LOL I got lost in what I assume was totally clear and simple step-by-step instructions, or maybe my brain just turned off. (My brain turns off a lot when a subject doesn’t interest me.) Not that I’m saying this was a boring a post. Redhead Riter has never written a boring post in her life. It’s just to me, some posts are more exciting than others. However, I do appreciate the fact that somebody who does not have an avatar would love this post and would get excited about learning how to get an avatar! I guess that I just couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm for it because I already have an avatar, although it isn’t of a spider. You see a certain redhead geek did my avatar for me because she knows that I am hopeless when it comes to figuring out these things! :)

3 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Ohhh and Skip, I might add. I tweeted this post! Just saying, my brain might have turned off, but I did recognize this was a valuable post! :)

4 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Skip, did it ever occur to you that you and I might be Redhead Riter groupies? :)

5 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Just asking, Skip, because whenever I read a Redhead Riter post I always think to myself, “Now what did Skip have to say about this post?” :)

6 Susanne July 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Ooohhh…stressful. A user name that I want to appear anywhere I go? I’ll have to get back to you on this…lol.

Ummm…just curious. How did your appointment go yesterday? I thought we may receive some feedback. If you don’t care to discuss it, I understand. I just hope it went well.

7 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Skip, tell me truthfully, do you think people are getting tired of us always commenting on The Redhead Riter posts? I would hate to overstay my welcome. (No smiley face here. It would be terrible to overstay my welcome and be banned from ever commenting again on The Redhead Riter blog for life.) :(

8 Joan July 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Skip, I am anxiously awaiting your reply! Do you realize that I can bypass your status as top commenter on The Redhead Riter blog by just replying to your replies? Think about it, Skip, and reply! :)

9 Skip_D July 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Joan – I just saw your replies… *all* of them!!! LOL! ayuh… I guess we are groupies! I can always count on seeing your reply. If people get tired of us or not, I can’t say… but I can’t for the life of me imagine why they would! :P

10 Joan July 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm

OMG, I can just imagine how excited Redhead Riter is going to be when she sees all the replies she has gotten for this post! She’s going to think, “This post must have really hit a nerve with my readers!” And then to learn all the comments were by me – well, most of them.

Well, if you are tired of reading my comments, here’s a suggestion: write a comment yourself! :)

11 Katherines Corner July 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

great tut ( pronounced toot) my friend. xo P.S> I hope to see you at the hop tomorrow!

12 The Redhead Riter July 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Toot! Toot! ;)

Thanks for the reminder!!!

13 Amanda August 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

thanks!

14 The Redhead Riter September 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm

You’re welcome! Nice avatar!

15 Sue Leipzig January 15, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thank you – I’m hoping to set this up for some clients, and probably should get it going for myself too.

16 Sherry Riter January 15, 2013 at 11:04 am

You’re welcome!

17 midsummer July 18, 2013 at 12:01 am

It’s hard to come by educated people in this particular subject, however, you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
Thanks