Little Steps On The Path Of Life

by Sherry Riter in Aging,Choice,Happiness,Motivation,Self-Development

“Finish each day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day.
You shall begin it serenely
and with too high a spirit
to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

single squirrel walking on path

We all live the first part of our youth as single people making choices, having experiences and dreaming big dreams. Our path seems rather easy and carefree…

And we don’t think those days will ever end.

two squirrel s walking on path

For most people, there is at least a portion of life that is spent with someone that you love. That’s when the path blooms with so many experiences such as marriage, children, employment ventures, honing in on our talents and so much more…

Sometimes a lot of thought isn’t put into our youthful decisions so that when we start to get older, those choices completely alter our future.

Consequences. They happen to all of us…more to some…less to others.

However, through those not so good choices, we also increase in wisdom. Because we have hopefully learned a thing or two, the opportunity to help others will present itself over and over again. Whether we take the time to help them or not is yet another choice presented to us.

one squirrel walking on path

Eventually, many of us end up on the path alone again either because of divorce, death or by choice. Aging isn’t always the most exciting thing to happen, but it is better than the alternative. Whether we are alone or with someone, there are still many exciting things left to do if we are charged with energy, imagination and determination! There is no time like the present to feel totally alive!

So don’t sit idly by watching your life drift by without you completely engulfed in hope, happiness and joy. Everything that happened before now was a learning opportunity which has given you the wisdom for everything that happens after this moment.

“A life spent making mistakes
is not only more honorable,
but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing.”
~ George Bernard Shaw ~

I hope you all have a lovely day. {{{hugssss}}}

Yeah, I’m really a touchy-feely “hugger” in real life. It’s my Southern country girl raising!

1 mom June 27, 2012 at 2:17 am

I am first———this was a great post Sher. I read a quote the other day –you are free to make choices, but you are not free to choose the consequences. It has been in my head for days. It is hard to leave yesterday in the past. Sometimes yesterday overlaps in my life.

I am looking forward to Saturday being with you even if it is just for your eye exam. lol. Every moment is a treasure with you four girls. Each of you have your own special qualities. I love you, my Sherry. Thank you for coming to me and for grounding my life and giving me purpose. If I could call back time, I would change all my mistakes as a mom.

There is one thing I would not change,lol—I would still make you choose what to wear for school the next day when you were in the first grade. Maybe instead of making you 21 outfits, I should have just made three and it would have been easier for you to choose. lol.

Have a great day and remember all who love you and what an awful hole it would be in our hearts if you were not here. Alyssa will one day know what a great mom you were and are. I would have loved to have been your child. I am thankful for the times you mothered me. You are the best.

2 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Yes, you were finally first to comment.

(loud applause and cheering)

Thanks for the nice things you said. If you were my child, I’m sure you would have been grounded more times than Alyssa. 😀

3 Skip_D June 27, 2012 at 8:21 am

Choices – consequences – wisdom… more choices, hopefully better ones, constrained by previous consequences, & hopefully modified by the wisdom gained from those previous choices & their resulting consequences. Yep – that’s life.

I choose to read your blog every day, Red. The consequences of that choice are receiving wisdom you so freely share, as well as a lot of good food, thoughtful commentary, & just good fun.

Ohhh… & while I’m about as far from a Southern country girl as you can get, I too am a touchy-freely “hugger” in real life 🙂 {{{huggsssss}}}

4 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thank you for the hugs back, Skip! I don’t get seven hugs in real life any more and I miss them!

5 Skip_D June 27, 2012 at 8:23 am

Ohh, btw – I love your photos of those delightful squirrels! 🙂

6 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Yeah, they are cute little boogers. Glad you liked the pics.

7 Roe June 27, 2012 at 9:38 am

This post was a perfect read for me today. I have been having a hell of a time lately and sometimes I just want to run away, throw in the towel, give up or hide away from the world. Of course I know I can’t do any of those things, but some days I have a little less hope and strength than other days.

I feel a little more inspired today, and for that I thank you.

8 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm

If you find a way to hide away from the world, please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I’m glad I could inspire you. Don’t give up. Today will disappear and MAYBE tomorrow will offer the happiness we both deserve. {{{hugssss}}}

9 Susanne June 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

I am so sorry but I’m having a little trouble accepting that a life full of mistakes is “honorable”. In my opinion it is simply “hard” and full of regrets. Ralph and George were obviously not suffering from anxiety disorder…lol. It’s a great theory, but so difficult to put into practice.

Southerners are so much more warm and fuzzy than we in the New England. Don’t let any of our brochures fool anyone…lol. Have a terrific Thursday!

10 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Life is ALL about making mistakes. Do you like the way I bolded the word ALL? Please don’t tell me you are a do-gooder-snob. That would totally destroy my image of you! We all make mistakes and we are going to keep on making mistakes IF we keep trying new things and new approaches, there will always be new mistakes. No reason to feel regretful. If you bombed at something…OH WELL! Just try again and do something different. I agree that it is very hard to put it into practice and I find it very hard to forgive myself…of anything. I’m really quite pathetic especially since I forgive just about everyone else rather quickly…no matter what they have done.

I know all about the lack of warm fuzzies “up” there and I am not ever fooled by the models’ smiles on brochures. I’ve been up there and experienced the icy blast instead of a warm, cheery smile and hug. How do you exist up there because you are so warm and fuzzy?!!!!!!!!!! You’re not really fuzzy. Well, unless it has been too long since you shaved your legs. If that is true, then you might be fuzzy AND prickly! LOL

11 Susanne June 28, 2012 at 8:23 am

Oh no..I just wrote you a lengthy heart felt response and poof it’s gone. Summation

I am poster child of “Woulda’ Shoulda’ Coulda'” Club
Life has been a comedy of errors
With age, it’s harder to chuckle at the errors
I do not live under a rock or a deserted island, which would be my preference of the two
Errors have be so large that fear has crept in and decision making has become debilitating
Intellectually I know that I must embrace my future errors. They are inevitable.
This is my mountain and I need some really sturdy climbing gear in my size.
I don’t care for New England. “Shoulda'” stayed in CA, but after bottoming out came home.
Now stuck here, until I win the lottery.
Then moving to a much more friendy place.
I would do so with stubble v fuzzy…lol.
I hope your image of me is intact, because I respect you.
Have a lovely day!

12 The Redhead Riter July 2, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I think you are marvelous, Susanne. You and I need to find a way to stay out of the “Woulda’ Shoulda’ Coulda’” Club because it stunts our growth!!! {{{hugsss}}}

13 Stéfan June 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

You speak truth. I love that George Bernard Shaw quote.

14 The Redhead Riter June 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Of course I speak truth! I’m a really bad liar, so you would be able to tell if I lied. LOL 😉

15 TheAL/OneDay June 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Thank you so much for the inspirational post and quotes. It’s so good to be reminded. Have a wonderful weekend and holiday.

16 The Redhead Riter July 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful week too and I’m so glad you enjoyed the post.