Monday Morning Ride To Work

by Sherry Riter in PTSD

Dark Fluffy Clouds , Bright Sunshine

Driving to work today under dark fluffy clouds proved to be an experience that I hope won’t be repeated. Well, it is always an experience with the drivers in Richmond, but today I’m not talking about the crazy things people do while driving. There is actually a moral to this story…

With the radio off and the air condition cranking, I was driving along the road and getting my brain in “office mode.” Suddenly, there was a fire truck in the oncoming traffic with their sirens blasting. As it sped past me, I had a huge pit in my stomach accompanied by a wave of nausea.

I swallowed hard and willed myself not to cry. That terrorizing event is over and Alyssa is very much alive, so I continued down the road saying, “You can’t cry,” over and over again.

Just when I thought I had enough control to keep it all together, the traffic light ahead turned red. I pulled up slowly and took my place in line at the red light next to an ambulance. Needless to say, my attempt at not crying was futile. A heaving sob from somewhere shook my body as the river of tears flowed from my eyes.

My heart ached.

One memory after the next of Alyssa’s frail form flew past my eyes. I was overcome with painful memories and thankfulness all at the same time.

When the light turned green, I went past the ambulance and pulled off the road so that I could get a grip on my emotions. After a hard cry, I looked at myself in the mirror. Ugh! My carefully applied makeup was nowhere to be found and my face was covered with red splotches.

I leaned forward with my face in front of the air conditioning vents for a few minutes so that I could get rid of the redness and then I reapplied all my makeup. Satisfied with the redo, I pulled the car back onto the road and continued my journey to work without further incident.

So did you figure out the moral to the story? Oh yeah, there is one.

Moral of the story: Never go to work on Monday. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Skip_D May 22, 2012 at 1:11 am

That sounds like a terrible experience. I’m glad you were able to pull through it so well. …& I totally approve of & agree with the moral!

The Redhead Riter May 22, 2012 at 1:22 am

Yep Skip! Perfect moral to the story!!! Glad you liked the photo. I love clouds.

Susanne May 22, 2012 at 6:12 am

I’m sorry that your week started that way. Mostly, I’m sorry that you have to live with your condition. However, with each “attack” we continue to hone our coping skills. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. As for clouds, some days are perfect for the intensity of grey. It’s overcast, rainy, gloomy and dreary here in the Boston area and oddly enough it feels good. Tuesdays are always a second chance. Bye for now…

The Redhead Riter May 22, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thanks Susanne!

Joan May 22, 2012 at 9:52 am

Love the picture of the gray clouds. Love how you can convey your emotions so well while telling a story. Love that you are such a great writer! The only thing that I do not love is how you suffer from PTSD. Still, in spite of having PTSD your humor has remained intact! :)

The Redhead Riter May 22, 2012 at 10:00 am

Thanks Joan! :)

Julie @ PushingTwigs May 22, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yep. Mondays are definitely “stay at home” days…of course, I do stay at home with my kids, but I sure wish the Mister could stay home with me for moral support ;-)

Enjoying your blog…I love to write also, but with a 2 month old, it’s been a little challenging!

The Redhead Riter May 22, 2012 at 10:30 am

LOL Moral support, Julie? So that is what they are calling it these days! LOL

Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) May 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hi Red – What bravery to share your journey with PTSD…..you keep on going!

The Redhead Riter May 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Kathy,

I’m not going back, so forward and up is the only way left to go! LOL Thanks for your encouragement.