Part of the healing process in my PTSD recovery was and has been relaxing, meditating and resting. That sounds much easier than it actually is and two of the top reasons recovery is hard are:
- I have a lot of things to do and I want to get them all done. It doesn’t get done if I’m sitting around doing nothing!
- When I was having continual flashbacks, my heart raced all the time. It was like having someone jump out of a closet in the middle of the night to scare you every minute. That anxiety rush of adrenaline kept me wide awake and on edge all the time. Of course, it made it nearly impossible to stop moving or sleep, so “relaxing, meditating and resting” was nearly impossible.
One of the constants during this whole painful experience has been a redhead that quietly comforts me without saying a word. Her name, of course, is Bella. You may think that Bella is just a dog, but she is much more than an animal. If humans would act more like Bella, this world would totally rock out of the solar system!
How To Communicate Like A Dog
Let me tell you a few things that Bella, our sweet dog, has done to help comfort me.
- Greets me excitedly every time I walk through the front door even if it has only been five minutes since I left
- Listens attentively to everything I say
- Equally gives and takes
- Knows how and enjoys snuggling and cuddling
- Appreciates every meal I fix her
- Wipes my tears when I cry (Actually she licks them)
- Adds humor to my life
- Never too tired to give
Maybe you are thinking, “Big deal! Bella is just a dog! People are not dogs!” Well, you are right, however, people should be more like Bella. She is not malicious, selfish or unkind. Bella is also very aware of how I am feeling and knows how to co-exist with me. We have learned and accommodate each other.
There’s a great song by Billy Currington called I Want You To Love Me Like My Dog and in this post, it is most appropriate. I’m attaching the video of the song, but even if you don’t watch it, read the words below.
He never tells me that he’s sick of this houseHe never says, “Why don’t you get off that couch?”He don’t cost me nothin’ when he wants to go outI want you to love me like my dog
He never says I need a new attitudeHim and my sister ain’t always in a feudWhen I leave the seat up, he don’t think that’s rudeI want you to love me like my dog does baby
When I come home want you to just go crazyHe never looks at me like he might hate meI want you to love me like my dog
He never acts like he don’t care for my friendsHe never asks me “Where ‘n the hell have you been?”He don’t play dead when I want to pet himI want you to love my like my dog does, honey
He never says, “I wish you made more money”He always thinks that pull my finger’s funnyI want you to love me like my dog
He don’t get made at me and throw a major fitWhen I say his sister is a bitchI want you to love me like my dog does, baby
When I come home, want you to just go crazyHe never looks at me like he might hate meI want you to love me like my dogI want you to love me like my dog does, baby
I guess that explains it quite well, don’t you think?
What do you think Bella?
What are you doing Bella?
Awwww….I’ve worn my little Bella Boo out.