The Blank Page For Mother

by Sherry Riter in Family,Holiday,Mom,Mother's Day

1968, Sherry-left and Audrey-right
She was young. In my opinion, the thin, dark haired, country girl was far too young to have a child and oblivious to the changes that would take place in her life during the next forty-nine years. When she looked toward the future as she held her first small bundle, life was a blank page filled with opportunities. She knew how to love and that one virtue guided her throughout each choice of every day after giving birth to not one, but eventually two girls.

She wanted the best for her daughters and each day was filled with lots of hugs, kisses and acts of service. Her girls became an extension of her – more important than her arms and legs – and they knew it and basked in the warmth of her love. The world revolved around the little family with possibilities abounding and faith in a better tomorrow always resonating in their ears. They believed anything was possible.

Times were good, then they were tough and got even tougher, but between the ups and downs, the three women loved each other. Years melted the age difference away and where there was once just a mother-child relationship, a bond of friendship, admiration, adoration, compassion, respect, and overwhelming love grew and remained steadfast.

They always physically lived close to one another, not because they “had” to or because they were “dependent” on the relationship, but because they “wanted” to share life’s experiences with each other. Each day’s joys and sorrows are always sweeter or easier to bear when shared with people you know will be there for you no matter what happens.

Eventually, the two girls each had a daughter of their own. Beautiful daughters. Sweet daughters. The once, too young woman, became a grandmother and her heart was overwhelmed with happiness. The blank page ahead continued to be filled with love in amounts that could not be measured.

She was loved in abundance twice more by a bubbly redheaded granddaughter and white blond granddaughter who called her Nanny. There wasn’t anything she would not do for her “four” girls. Her life continued to be filled with love and service for the four, always praying that they would find their own happiness. She hoped that they would lead virtuous lives filled with honor, respect, integrity, wholesomeness, honesty, and above all, love for each other and God.

That wonderful woman is my own dear mother. I can not imagine life without this once too young woman, who is as beautiful on the outside as she is on inside. She loves God and her family more than life itself. She taught us all that the Savior can easily be found when on bended knees – a knowledge for which I am most grateful. I am more thankful than words can convey to the mortal soul, for my mother and want to wish her a very Happy Mother’s Day. My sister, niece, daughter and I can not ever repay you for all that you have given to us, including life itself. Thank you for being our Mom and Nanny. Thank you for your unselfish love and kindnesses towards all of us. Thank you for always being there when we needed you desperately, and when we had no idea that we needed you. Thank you for being you.

I love you Mom.

The Blank Page For Mother
written by Sherry, The Redhead Riter©
for her mother on May 8, 2011

The day was new,
Fresh, abounding
With anticipated
Hope for happiness.

Her unwrinkled,
Small hand gently
Touched the bouncing red curls
And softly kissed them.

The child just smiled,
But she felt loved
By this noble woman
That she called mother.

The years went by,
and the child’s hands
Showed the signs of age
As she touched her child’s hair.

Memories filled
Her mind with sweet
Tea parties in small cups
With her own mother.

Time passes fast
As motherhood
Fills the blank page ahead
With loving memories.

We sacrifice,
Worry, pray, plan,
But most of all, we love
With all of our heart.

So on this day
Devoted to
Mothers and memories,
Gratitude fills me.

My whole soul shouts,
“I love you Mom!
Thank you for ev’rything!
Happy Mother’s Day!”

1 Bren May 8, 2011 at 12:24 am

2 Anonymous May 8, 2011 at 1:12 am

Your letter is filled with love. It has helped me not have any negative feelings during this special day. Thank you Redhead.

3 bluecottonmemory May 8, 2011 at 2:19 am

You have been so blessed to have a mom like that! Beautiful poem Red!!!

4 TJ May 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

My Sherry, thank you so much. It was easy to be your mom. Mother hood has been my greatest calling in life. With out you four girls, I would of been an empty vessel. Instead, my soul is full and my heart flows over with love for all of you. My two daughters , my two grand daughters, how blessed I am. I love you and I look so foreward to tomorrow a day with the best of my life, you girls.

Your sweet daughter bought me a card and delivered it last Saturday. I could not open it til mothers day, it was so well worth the wait. Thank your for the gift of " Alyssa"

5 pammieq May 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

I'm sure we share the same Mom! Though not the same powers of the written word. Beautifully said, just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

6 ceemee May 8, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Beautiful and touching!

7 kelly May 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

very nice post Red

8 Katherines Corner May 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Happy Mothers Day! Big Hugs!!

9 The Redhead Riter May 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Thank you all and you're very welcome Mom. Big {{{huggggssss}}}}} to everyone!

10 Amy May 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Happy Mother's Day.. What an amazing and sweet post..
Thanks for sharing your story..

11 Cathy Kennedy May 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm

How tenderly beautiful the words you honor your mother with this day!

Happy Mother's Day to you and all your readers!

12 Doing the Mom Thing May 9, 2011 at 1:33 am

Happy Mother's Day! Your mom sounds like one amazing lady. And so do you. 🙂

13 Joan May 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

No truer words are ever spoken than the words that come from one's heart! And every word you wrote in your tribute to your mother came straight from you heart and was felt deeply by everyone who read your post.

I was touched when I read, "Each day's joys and sorrows are always sweeter or easier to bear when shared with people you know will be there for you no matter what happens." How very true!

Your mother is truly blessed to have two daughters and two granddaughters who love her so deeply as you all do — and you, your sister, your daughter and niece are all so truly blessed to have her for your mother and grandmother!

The poem you wrote The Blank Page For Mother was simply beautiful and heartfelt.

Thank you for sharing your deep love for your mother with your readers. Reading your post and poem made me think of my own beloved mother who has been gone for almost ten years.

14 PJ May 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

hey REd! My heart gushes with pride when I read the wonderful heart-felt things you feel about your mom. I am proud because you do not hold them in. You know the value of time and want her to know all of your feelings "before it's too late". I would give anything if my mom were still alive for me to relay my feelings to. I do talk to her all the time, but being unable to hear her voice leaves me wanting. God Bless you Red, because I know that you are one I never have to lecture (which I have done many times to friends and relatives who whine about their mothers). You know the value of time and what she means to you.