with you sometimes
Cause I… get dizzy
when your body’s touching mine”
Why do we fall in love?
The age old philosophy that we fall in love to propagate the species, still holds true. It is a basic drive like eating, drinking, breathing and having shelter. As humans, we seek after the companionship and the feeling that being with someone can give to us, but more to ensure that we continue our species. The craving to “belong” to someone often borders on an addiction.
You may laugh and think “addiction?” Oh no, not me! The hormones are what causes the butterflies in your stomach, the desire to hold hands, the thrill of being kissed, grabbing the phone when it rings and texting or talking on the phone until one in the morning. The hormone levels are elevated and so is the the thrill created from the attention.
Right or wrong, the physical philosophy (the survival of the fittest) seems to still hold true. Humans subconsciously want to have children and a partner as we go through the experience of life. Men subconsciously seek after women who look like they can bear his children. At the same time, women are looking for a man that can give her strong children and take care of her. Funny how the brain works.
What happens when we fall in love?
Helen Fisher, a research professor at Rutgers University, believes that the happiness, euphoria, energy and sleeplessness we feel at the beginning of a relationship is the “result of elevated levels of dopamine and norepinephrine” which kicks into overdrive.
That hormonal onslaught continues until the couple has time to reach a stable plateau which is necessary to raise children. During this sensible time of love, the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin cause a couple to stay together strengthening the bond with other things such as trust, honesty, and communication to name a few.
Why do we/should we have sex?
Another hormone that adds to the love factor is pheromones which are substances secreted by an organism and recognized by others through undetected smells that produce responses such as those felt during times of fear, sex or aggression.
Sex, sleeping together, rolling in the hay (my parents did this often – secrets out!), making love, sleeping with each other, knowing someone, being intimate, having intercourse, copulating, mating, making whoopee, and getting it on (Marvin Gaye’s choice – I love that song!!!!) all mean the same thing. That by all means is not a full list for this very popular event. Hmmm, is it an event?
Why exactly do we have sex? Here are a few reasons:
- The obvious reason is to have babies – propagation of the species!
- Reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. Specifically, men who have sex three times a week will cut his chances of heart disease in half.
- Men also have a decreased chance of prostate cancer if they have regular sex.
- Reduces stress. Will help to eliminate the cramps in your muscles and headaches.
- Reduces depression. When having sex without a condom, it is believed that the male prostoglandin (found in the semen) is absorbed by the woman’s body thus helping to keep her hormones more level. I wonder if this would eliminate the Witchy Poo nagging factor?
- Sex keeps away wrinkles. According to Dr. David Weeks, a clinical neuropsychologist at Scotland’s Royal Edinburgh Hospital, reported from his studies that having sex four times a week can help you look ten years younger. Gasp! As we age (there’s that aging thing again), our testosterone levels decrease. By having regular sex, those levels are elevated thus helping to regenerate muscle tissue and bone. I think I might go buy the doctor’s book called “Secrets of the Superyoung.”
- Because of the increase in oxytocin and endorphins released after sex, the euphoria will stave off aches and pains. Does that mean sex is a drug?(wink)
- Induces better and sounder sleep.
- Ever heard of Kegel exercises? Well, strengthen everything in the pelvic area at one time for more control of the other functions which will keep you out of Depends longer! It also helps to prevent vaginal atrophy. Oh my goodness! Did I just say that word on my blog?! (blush)
- Women who do not take the birth control pill and who also have regular sex will enjoy more regular menstrual cycles.
- Thirty minutes of having sex burns 200 calories. Definitely the only exercise I enjoy!
- Keeps your muscles firmed especially the tummy and buns. I guess that means I need to have more sex because my tummy definitely isn’t flat enough!
- Having sex once or twice a week according to researchers at Wilkes University in Pennsylvania will boost the immune system by 30 percent because of the increase in the antibody called immunoglobulin A. Does that count as taking vitamins? (wink)
- Goodbye Mr. Lonely. Yep, having sex with your loving partner helps to rid you of those lonely feelings.
- Enhances the ability to smell. After a pleasurable romp in the sheets there is a surge in the hormone prolactin which enhances our ability to smell.
- Increases creativity. Hey, yeah! After being married a long time, you’ve got to get creative to avoid the boring factor. Here’s a few suggestions, but Mom, you have to close your eyes and don’t read this part – upside down and hanging off the bed; doing it in the car trunk; on the dining room table; in a swing; in the shower; in an elevator; under the stairs of a public building; in the pool; and in the jacuzzi. For the record, I’m pleading the 5th Amendment and admitting nothing!
- The best reason of all to make love is because it helps to increase the intimacy and communication in the couple.
Finding the person to click with the rest of your life might take time and effort, but in the end, well worth all that is invested. Falling in love and having sex are wonderful experiences. The racing heart and heightened awareness with your lover is almost beyond explanation. It feels…all over wonderful…heart, mind, soul and body wonderful.
Yes, I know the feeling…
Quick intake of breath as he enters the room.
Nothing else exists.
Just me and him.
Happiness floods the senses.
Our lips meet and my fingers quiver on his skin.
much too sexy baby
So I… surrender to your
hands, your lips, your taste
And I’m telling you tonight
You got me defenseless,