The Redhead Turns 23

by Sherry Riter in Birthday,Brittany,Family,Holiday

If you are looking for the Tell The Truth Thursday post, you won’t find it until next week because this is a very special day.

Today I confuse everyone who only looks at the pictures and doesn’t bother to read the words of my post. It happens every time I post pictures of this beautiful redhead.

On December 2, 1987, my little redheaded niece, Brittany, was born.

Brittany was a sweet baby.

I had the privilege of having Brittany and my sister live with me for eleven years,
so I was able to enjoy motherhood without giving birth!

Brittany was a very creative child and loved to color, draw, paint and read.

Brittany Brittany

She has a gentle soul with a tender heart.

Brittany Brittany

I have a million memories of being with Brittany.
I even remember her saying,
“Let me spread my dress out.
I want a picture with a puffy dress.”

Every Christmas while everyone was gone,
we would make presents.
Brittany loved keeping the gifts secret and would never tell anyone
all the crafty things we were creating.
One year we covered the table with giant art paper
and she made reindeer ornaments out of wooden pegs.
She concentrated on covering every spot with paint.
Her “paint clothes” was Evan’s old shirt and it fit her like a giant dress.

She always took her time and enjoyed each step of the process.

We laughed, sang and talked all day long while she made the presents.

Brittany loved to help do any and everything.
She helped build the furniture and then enjoyed cleaning up the mess.
Yes, she was a very special and delightful child and
I loved spending my time with her each day.

She also loved understanding how everything worked
and was quick to say,
“Let’s open it up and see what’s wrong!”
whether it was first thing in the morning or late at night.

Brittany loved vacations
especially the trips to snowy places like Colorado.

Today Brittany still has the same tender heart.
It is funny that she has dyed her hair every shade of red
even though she is a natural redhead!

Thank you for loving me so much and filling my days with so much joy.
I remember every hug and kiss you ever gave me.
I love you so very much Brittany.

Happy Birthday!
I hope the coming year will be the happiest yet.

Love Always,
Your Auntie-Mom

1 Holly December 2, 2010 at 4:19 am

Such a beautiful niece, inside and out. ;D
She's shares a birthday with my big BRO! <3

2 Anonymous December 2, 2010 at 11:38 am

I cried as you took me down memory lane Sherry. I too remember her sweetness as a child. She and Alyssa have such sweet spirits. I remember working with her mom, I was her boss. I use to lay my head on Auds tummy and sing to Brittany and feel her thump my face from inside her mom. Oh how time has passed, I hate getting old!! I pray I will never get dementia for my memories are my life and how I love you four.

3 Cathy Kennedy December 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm

What a beautiful young lady! And, oh the spectacular memories you have – how priceless! Thanks for sharing this with us today. Incidentally, I have a Brittany of my own and she'll be 23 next June. =D

4 The Aud Author, Audrey December 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I cried as I read this. I wish my little one was still little, young and innocent and I could shelter her from all the horrors of life. I love her so much. Having a child truly is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body, she will forever have mine. I love you Brittany, Mom.

5 Megan (Best of Fates) December 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm

She's gorgeous – happy birthday!

(And I adore her coat. She pulls it off perfectly!)

6 katlupe December 3, 2010 at 12:45 am

Brittany is such a beautiful young woman! You were so blessed to have her live with you. She was precious as a child and now as an adult. I love the photos of her, and her concentration on what she was doing. I love this post!!

7 Anonymous December 3, 2010 at 1:00 am

You hare amazing with words. What a wonderful way to tell your beautiful niece how much she means to you.

8 Patti Hanan December 3, 2010 at 2:11 am

She is beautiful, just like you! Twenty years goes by so quickly. It is so fun to look back at pictures and cherish the memories!

9 Doreen Lombardo December 3, 2010 at 4:02 am

Beautiful. What wonderful pictures throughout the years. She's a beautiful young lady now. Happy Birthday to her and many more!

10 kelly December 7, 2010 at 2:38 am

oh my goodness…totally gorgeous!