No Style Plastic Furniture Revisited

by Sherry Riter in Product

In the post Drop and Spill, Ashley Ladd said“My dad would get very upset with my mom if she didn’t put her purse away right away. My grandma had plastic runners over her carpet and you could only step on those. I thought those were the ugliest things. And slip covers. Why not buy an old ugly couch if you’re going to cover it with an old, ugly cover anyway? I never got those things.”

It was a rhetorical question that Ashley wrote in her comment because we all know that an “old” couch owned by someone else wouldn’t ever be clean enough for a person who uses slip covers and plastic runners all over the house. At least I know that would have been the case with my grandparents.

But our grandparents aren’t the only people who had this practice. Before homes had air conditioning, slipcovers were commonly used during the summer months to protect upholstery fabric from sweat.

Today we can find very nice and decorative furniture covers made from all types of fabric.

slip covers
slip covers
slip covers

When it is time to move our furniture, we still use plastic covers.

slip covers

But there was a time…

slip covers
slip covers
Image: Career Solvers No this isn’t me.

I sure hope this doesn’t become fashionable again. I will lack all style if so.

1 poet November 9, 2010 at 5:37 pm

wow, memories. we did not have the plastic covers on our furniture, but i had childhood friends whose parents had plastic and runners on EVERYTHING. one friend even had their formal living room cordened off with those big velvet dividers like you see in banks (well used to as they use little plastic ones now). good post. memories seem to be the going theme this week. think i will run with it too. have a great day~

2 Ordinary Em November 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm

My great-grandmother was a slipcover girl. I can just imagine going in one of my children's homes when they are grown and having them explain this new convenience to me.

3 Jennifer | Sweet Simplicity November 10, 2010 at 4:11 am

A lot of people really did use those plastic covers. I guess that's where the term plastic palace came about.

4 Teresha@Marlie and Me November 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm

My paternal grandmother's house was a plastic museum…runners, slip covers, even table cloths. those things were dust magnets! just thinking about it makes me shudder

5 Pandamonium November 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Oh wow, I haven't seen plastic covers in ages but I remember various relatives swimming in plastic covers. 😛

6 Paula November 11, 2010 at 8:08 am

Red, thinking of you. I know there are times where all we can do is breathing. Where coping is not possible anymore just breathing till it has subsided a bit. Big warm hug. Paula

7 Carole in the UK November 11, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Agh! Was it an American 'thing' as I will never forget when I holidayed in the States in the late 70's and stayed at the house of my older suter in New York. She had what we called 'plastic covers' on the chairs, that would be kept on permanently. I thought it was soooo strange, especially when you had to sit on them in the heat of summer!!

8 jenie=) November 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

FUNNY BUT TRUE!!! hahaha. i thought this happens to 3rd world countries alone. here in the philippines, it was altogether changed to leather or rubberized coverings so one need not have to worry with the spills since it can easily be wiped off.

i missed it here…hope you can also come visit my blogs again.

9 CJ November 12, 2010 at 2:42 am

I remember those hideous plastic slip covers and how embarassing they could be when sweaty little childrens legs slid across them and made a noise like a whoopy cushion.

The plastic runners were a whole different story though as we'd get a good running start in our shiny black, slick soled shoes and attempt a home run slide.

I'm thankful some trends change. I won't have to pick the sweaty pants away from my backside now…

10 Holly November 12, 2010 at 5:54 am

Thanks GOODNESS times have changed!

(((HUGS))) 4 U, my friend! <3