Chuckle of the Day – In The Restroom With Mom

by Sherry Riter in Chuckle

I do not make it a habit to talk to people on the phone while I’m in the restroom, but there are a few exceptions to the rule.

The other day I was at work and I needed a break. At just about the same moment I stood to leave my office, my cell phone rang and it was my mother.

“Hello,” I answered as I started making my way to the restroom.

By the time I was in my own stall, Mom was talking away and I was just listening. No one had been in the restroom up until that point. I heard the door open and two people came in and went into the other stalls.

The restroom was silent.

Mom then asked, referring to an event she was going to attend, “Do you think you will be able to go too?”

My immediate response was, “I don’t think I can go.”

Just as I realized how that must have sounded to the other occupants of the restroom, I heard a voice say, “That happens to the best of us. Why don’t you just come back later and try again?”

I thought I was going to die of embarrassment.

“Mom, I can’t talk right now. I’ll call you back later.”

Then I heard one lady laugh and the other lady say, “Oh, sorry about that!” and then she started laughing hysterically.

Cell phones!!!!

The Redhead Riter's cell phone

1 Joan November 27, 2010 at 12:07 am

I howled out loud when I read this post! Yeah, it gave me a chuckle for the day! Pretty, pretty funny if you ask me!

2 Lindsey November 27, 2010 at 12:46 am

I just read this to my husband and he and I both laughed like crazy. Thanks for the giggles!

3 Canadianbloggergirl November 27, 2010 at 1:28 am

Totally funny! Thanks for the chuckles I needed them!

4 sherri November 27, 2010 at 2:16 am

Too Funny! I've had similar experiences…except I have been the one answering the person that was talking on their phone LOL it's embarrassing on both sides ha!

I have on occasion also been the one talking on the phone while in the restroom… my job dictates that I answer my phone without fail… I always hate that I have to get into conversations seemingly alone in my stall…

5 Bev November 27, 2010 at 2:37 am

Oh my God, I am rolling on the floor. And weren't we talking about cell phones just earlier today…too funny!

6 Holly November 27, 2010 at 7:54 am

OMG!! That's a RIOT!!! BAHAHAHA….!!!!

7 Helena November 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Ha Ha! Too funny! The poor lady who was giving advice! I'll bet she'll be more hesitant next time on offering advice to someone in the next bathroom stall or anywhere else for that matter!

8 katlupe November 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I had to read this post to my husband and I could barely read it I was laughing so hard. So funny Red!!!

9 By Word of Mouth November 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm

LOL, you made me think of all the times my girls would come out with stuff while we were in the bathroom in a mall or somewhere – you would hear stifled chuckling form the next cubicle and be glad they couldn't see you … things like 'great job Mom' or 'you wiped front to back, good job Mommy', or 'why do you have a rope, there, can you ring a bell' from my youngest ….

10 From Tracie December 28, 2010 at 7:20 am

That is great! What a hilarious moment.