Ways to Relax #8 – Bubblegum and Candy Apple

by Sherry Riter in Ways To Relax,Women Stuff

I believe there are some things every woman should experience at least once in their lifetime.

When I was the General Manager of a hotel, I worked eighty hours a week and never stopped moving the whole time I was in the building. It was an extremely stressful job, but once a week for about a year, I would take my lunch hour and get a manicure with my dear friend Mary.

It was truly the one thing that I did just for myself…literally.

When I changed careers, it was no longer convenient to go at lunch and my nails took an unsatisfactory back seat. Instead, I had to be happy painting them in the middle of the night and leaving my hands hanging off the bed to prevent blanket marks. How many times do you think that didn’t work?

Sometimes I still take the time to pamper myself and that was the case tonight.

Alyssa and I both had our nails manicured. We chatted with the nail tech and each other as the stresses and problems of the day drifted away with the soft music and trickling waterfall. Not only is it a wonderful experience for an hour having my nails prettied up and being with my daughter, but the lovely moment continues for at least a week because I feel better with feminine, well manicured nails.

My #8 way to relax is to have a manicure or pedicure in a relaxing environment.

Alyssa chose “Bubblegum” nail polish with acrylic nails

Bubblegum nail polish

Of course, I forgot to have Alyssa take a picture of my manicure before she continued her evening with a long bath. With a lovely computer keyboard as my backdrop, I took the photo of “Candy Apple” nail polish on my real nails

Candy Apple nail polish

No one can comment about the contrast in Alyssa’s lovely tan and my glow in the dark skin. Sometimes I just can’t believe I got ripped off with the tan gene!

Oh, I almost forgot…My mother hasn’t ever experienced the loveliness of a manicure at a nail salon…EVER. So Mom, if you don’t give in to this lovely experience before Christmas, guess what Santa will be putting in your stocking?

1 Kimberly July 24, 2010 at 3:43 am

Yep, it's true. You have to try it at least once! And if I want to feel REALLY special, I'll get my toes done! (There is NOTHING that relaxes the feet like a pedi and heaven knows our feet could use a break!)

Thanks for commenting on bugaboo, mini, mr & me!

2 The Zany Housewife July 24, 2010 at 3:51 am

It's been so long since I've had a manicure. I personally enjoy a pedicure because I seem to mess up a manicure in a matter of minutes.

I love that bright pink color. My toes are red right now, but I was thinking of painting them tonight! So now I'm convinced that I need to do that…and maybe throw in a bubble bath while I'm at it.

I'm glad you had such a nice time with your daughter. Have a great weekend Red! 🙂

p.s. Red looks rad with pale…I should know! haha..

3 Jon Lee July 24, 2010 at 4:34 am

This is so true. I love going to get a manicure and a pedicure. It is so relaxing and gives you a new slant on life. I am due for both, and it on my calender for next week.

4 Selena July 24, 2010 at 8:21 am

I too have the "glow in the dark" skin gene. Not a redhead, but with you on the skin thing.

I'd love to get a manicure but the chemicals they use make me feel like I cannot breath in there. 🙁 Wonder if they have more chemical-free nail salons…

5 mayshedream July 24, 2010 at 12:35 pm

i never treat myself to a manicure! if only i had the money to do so eh! it i a great way to relax and feel good about you're self.

6 The Redhead Riter July 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

It doesn't have to cost you money! I'm sure you have friends and if you all got together and gave each other manicures in a relaxing environment (soft music, candles, sunshine through the windows), it would be great! My daughter and I do this for each other and I love giving her feet a pedicure. I still can't believe those toes used to be so tiny!

7 Dee July 24, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Very pretty! Thanks for this post. It's a timely reminder to take a moment to not just take care of but also pamper ourselves every once in a while. (And such a great way to spend some quality time with our daughters, too.) I think that's what I will do with my little girl this weekend! It's been years since I got a mani-pedi. I just do a wash-scrub-snip routine. Ha ha.

8 Birdie July 24, 2010 at 6:26 pm

There is nothing better than short, classic red nails! They're my all time favorite! Classy lady!

9 More Milestones July 24, 2010 at 9:54 pm

This is now on my To Do list… when my boys are out on their own. I can't fight all this testosterone just yet.
Candy Apple – very sassy!
Have a great weekend.
Mona : )

10 Teresha@Marlie and Me July 25, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I totally agree. when I was pregnant and could no longer reach my toes, a friend treated me to a pedicure. It was heavenly. I love the colors you gals picked out…very classy!

11 writing4612 July 26, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Candy Apple is one of my favorite colors!

P.S. Alyssa's ring is beautiful.

12 The Redhead Riter July 26, 2010 at 9:27 pm

My mother gave Alyssa the ring for her 16th birthday. She wanted to give her something that would last a lifetime so that Alyssa would always remember her grandmother and her 16th birthday. We all thought it was a beautiful gift and lovely sentiment behind it. Thank you for the compliment. I'll pass it on to Alyssa!