That Can’t Be Toilet Paper

by Sherry Riter in Dad,Product

A few years ago, I gave my dad a solar powered hanging ball decoration for his yard. I told him to just hang it on a tree because the sun would shine on it and then at night the whole thing would glow different alternating colors. We had a long discussion on batteries and why this ball did not need new batteries all the time. I love my dad, but when I say a long discussion, I mean a really long discussion.

So a few days later the phone rings and it is Dad. Conversation goes something like this:

“I really like that light up ball you gave me.”

“I’m glad you do. So which tree did you hang it on?” I asked.

“Since I watch TV at night from my recliner, I put it outside the big window so I can watch it too.” he said in his usual country twang.

“That’s cool.”

“Then right before I go to bed I bring it in.” he said without skipping a beat.

“Did you say that you bring the ball inside at night?” I asked him a little surprised and confused.

“Yeah! I don’t want anyone to steal it!”

There goes my theory of a maintenance free gift. For the past three years, every morning Dad hangs the solar ball on the tree and every night before going to bed, he brings it inside. I try to just remind myself that at least he is enjoying it!

Skimming through the internet, I happened upon some really different products. Unfortunately, the huge pot called BLOOM is the one I would love to buy Dad this year, but it is way too expensive if I’m doing my dollar conversions correctly. However, I still think it is a fantastic idea and may try to mimic it somehow for him!

Image: source
Image: source
If you really love flowers and trees, this blooming flower tree is rather nifty.

Image: source
Last, but most certainly not least, are these lovely rolls of toilet paper. Yes, you read that right. I’m talking about toilet paper called Renova. It is produced in many bright colors.

Image: source
I wonder what Dad would think if I mailed him neon green or lemon yellow toilet paper? This is the same man who was raised at the time when dried corn cobs were used as toilet paper and an outhouse was the place to find the potty.

Oh my, on second thought, what about a roll of black toilet paper?!!!

Someone help me.

I’m laughing so hard my stomaching is aching!

Tears are streaming down my face!

I can just about see his face if he opened a roll of black toilet paper. He would think I had totally lost my mind.

1 ceemee June 9, 2010 at 12:46 am

Those are quirky stuff. Is that really toilet paper? Hard to believe! He he!

2 Kerin June 9, 2010 at 2:28 am

What a great gift idea!! My dad was the hardest person in the world to buy for!! I actually bought him a new toilet seat for Christmas one year—'cause he needed a new one. I think it was the ONLY gift that he actually used!!
Thanks for stopping by and visiting! Have a great evening 🙂

3 Emerald Jayd June 9, 2010 at 3:28 am

OMG! I love that post! I can totally see your fathers face (in mine of course) when he opens up Black TP! Bwahahahahah! I am teary eyed too! Thanx so much for brightening my day!

4 Vatche June 9, 2010 at 5:50 am

Funny post, I didn't even know that there were people, who would actually want alternating colors of toilet paper. I wonder if they are expensive…hmm…it would be a great gift on something like April Fools' Day maybe. Off to plan for next April Fools', write on!

5 Navyvet June 9, 2010 at 10:39 am

Sherry, I hate to tell you this but he would open the gift of TP and then he would call you and say,"Hey , what is this?" lol

6 Katie's Dailies June 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

But how would you know when you were, ahem, "clean"?

Love that light up flower pot, though!

7 Diana June 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Great post!!

8 Susan June 9, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Oh my, I don't think I have ever seen black toilet paper before. Oh well I guess it would still do the trick huh?

9 Mitzi June 9, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Oh my goodness!!! That oversized pot is adorable on it's own, but the fact that it lights up??? LOVE IT!!!

And your poor dad, taking the time to bring in the globe every night; he loves it so much…that is way cool!

Come visit me…

10 JJ June 10, 2010 at 3:02 am

enjoyed this post. Laughing with you. Really like it that your Dad is a good ole country boy and brings the light ball in an out. Bet that screaming neon yellow TP would make for an interest trip to the john while nursing a hangover! Ha!

11 Margo June 10, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Lol! Just make sure someone takes a picture of his face if you give him the black tp!

12 bernicewood August 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Designer toilet paper? makes about as much sense as the designer DISPOSABLE diapers that look like denim!
My latest post-