One Simple Word

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Memory

When I was young, I used to watch my grandmother dip her Krispy Kreme doughnut into her coffee cup and take big bites of the brown soaked sugary confection. She always looked at me, smiled and winked. Meanwhile, I was doing my best to eat every sugary morsel of my own doughnut.

As a teenager, our church group would go door to door bright and early on Saturday morning selling hot, fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It didn’t take long before people started to expect us and we earned a tidy sum for our hard work. Of course, there was a lovely reward of doughnuts for ourselves as well.

Years have gone by, each filled with wonderful moments and doughnuts. Now that I’ve become diabetic, it is a little different. Sometimes (not often), Alyssa and I drive to the Krispy Kreme at 11:00 p.m. and buy doughnuts fresh, hot and right off the line. My favorite is the plain glazed and Alyssa’s is the chocolate iced doughnut, so I buy one dozen of each.

It takes less than five minutes for Alyssa to eat six and me to eat eight doughnuts.

There’s only one word to describe our love of doughnuts.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

I’m obsessed.

Need I say more?

What is your obsession?

1 Jen and Matt June 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I have lots…but I'm with you..give me a Krispy Kreme anyday!

2 North of 25A June 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I have only had Krispy Kreme donuts once; hot off the line & I still remember it years ago. I can become obsessed with just about anything. As they say, one is too many and a thousand is never enough!

3 Wendy June 8, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Hmm, my grandmother used to dip Entemann's "S" Cookies in her coffee – now I have a craving – thanks!

And, did you know that this past Friday was National Doughnut Day?

4 Not so Molly Mormon After-All June 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Ah…now I want a donut! 🙂

5 June 8, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I'm right there with you sister! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

6 lostinaseaofblogs June 8, 2010 at 8:10 pm

mmmmmmmmm doughnuts.

Um, yeah, doughnuts are ranked highly in my obsessions but since I don't have a decent doughnut shop near me I don't get to have them often. It is sad. 🙁

7 Joan June 8, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Now I want a donut.

I adore chocolate. I absolutely believe life is not worth living if I cannot have chocolate everyday.

8 BlackRose June 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm

… ?? ???????!!!Helloooo from Greece and ?????? ??? ??????? team!!!!

Yiamiii blog….I follow U!!

9 Navyvet June 8, 2010 at 9:45 pm

shame on you Sherry, they are not good for you. Will I have to carve :here lies the donut queen? Alyssa it is ok for

10 krissilugbill June 8, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Ice cream!!!

Also, I wanted to tell you that your blog has inspired me in one way or another, therefore I am passing the beautiful blogger award on to you! I believe you pass it on now to 10 blogs that you find find beautiful! there is a picture of the award on my blog if you want it! Enjoy!

11 Vatche June 9, 2010 at 6:27 am

Hmmm…my obsession…(Vatche looks around his room and notices books toppling over him like mountains)…I think buying books non-stop is my obsession. (Looks again.) Definitely.

12 Sherri June 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Love them donuts. Gee, my oatmeal doesn't look so good now…lol

13 Natasha Jane June 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm

The Krispy Kreme doughnut is the perfection of a doughnut. I only allow myself 1 or 2 a year but, man, those things are INCREDIBLE. so fresh and that glazeee…OMIGOSH i have to get a doughnut…

14 mimito5 June 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Yep, I think you started somethin' here. Now I GOTTA have a Krispy Kreme I have been very good and stayed away from them for about 2-3 years now. Oh boy. You might want to take a census on which is better, Krispie Kremes or Dunkin Donuts..LOL
Loved the post:)

15 Southern Comforts by Dana July 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Those never last more than 5 minutes in this house.

16 Bri July 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Did you have to do that? I have a major sweet tooth. Make that teeth!!

17 McGillicutty August 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm

OMG… i never buy donuts but when someone else produces a box I'm first in there!!!! I love them!!!!