The Email Pictures From Hell

by Sherry Riter in Health

I’m usually really happy to receive email from anyone, especially my own mother. However, the other day Mom sent me a thirty-six page Powerpoint presentation on bridges in China. Let me remind you that I have a huge problem with any bridge since I have a phobia called gephyrophobia (pronounced: JEFF-i-ro-FO-bee-uh).

The email message simply stated, “I know you can’t wait to get to China and experience these bridges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL”

Ummmm. Let me just say with a resounding voice, “No thank you! LOL”

The fifth picture still takes my breath every time I look at it. I guess I’m a hopeless case and it will be impossible to cure me of this horrible phobia. It is really weird how just a picture of a bridge actually makes me feel uptight, anxious and causes me to quickly page past it. Crazy brain!

We are discussing phobias in my community. You don’t have to have a blog to join, so if you haven’t already, come on over and join my forum. There is always a vast array of topics discussed and you’ll meet the nicest people. We would love to get to know you too. Directions with pictures on how to join can be found here or be brave because it is really easy and hop on over to my community and join here.

I’ve procrastinated looking at the bridge photos long enough. I chose those that impressed me the most…Correction. These are the photos that are the most terrifying. Hold your breath and take a look at these massive bridges. They are phenomenal even to my scaredy cat self.

Meow.

1 Jessica June 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Eeeek! Those are some scary bridges!

2 Grammy Suzzy June 15, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Oh, my goodness…I don't even have…whatever you call it…but these are…Well, just let me say that I am gonna refuse to drive that new bridge that will take traffic off the Hoover Dam, grandbabies or not!

3 mimito5 June 15, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Yikes! I didn't think I had a phobia of bridges until I saw these! You know, as I get older, it's getting harder and harder to put my faith in things man-made. We live close to Grandfather Mountain which has the mile-high "swinging" bridge —and believe me, it swings! Not doin' it…not, not not! 🙂

4 Miranda June 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Wow – those bridges are AMAZING! I'd hate to go over any of them too, but still – woooow!

~Miranda

5 kelly June 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm

the pictures are great. can't say i would be real excited to have to travel many of those roads and bridges.

6 ASBLACKASOBAMA June 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I did a post a while back about one of my greatest fears…. Being buried alive….

A man in England locked himself in a box for 30 days and 30 nights as a social experiment…. Filmed the entire thing…. No interaction with the outside world for 30 days and 30 nights…. The whole thing is over now, but it was interesting and gut wrenching to watch him….

7 Mommycrat June 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

No bridge phobia here and still the thought of ending up in the middle of some of those is a bit unsettling.

My brother has a fear of suspension bridges – didn't see any of them featured. Always found those can feel a bit precarious.

8 Maggie S June 15, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Not just no.

You know, in China the speed limit is really low? So you are not just out there, you would be out there nearly twice as long.

9 Mandy June 15, 2010 at 8:42 pm

If you ever come to New Zealand, make sure you can fly everywhere because you CANNOT travel by road and avoid bridges. Those are some pretty awesome bridges though!

10 Debbie June 16, 2010 at 12:04 am

I've always had a phobia about bridges. I just didn't know there was a name for it. I avoid bridges whenever possible. If I have to, I will drive across a bridge. If someone else is driving, I either close my eyes or look down to avoid looking out into the water, it kind of helps. Your pictures made me want to close my eyes. But they are beautiful…except they ARE bridges…Eeeek!

11 Ginny June 16, 2010 at 12:31 am

I was just stuck in traffic on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge a couple of days ago…with five children…it wasn't fun!

12 Mrs Woog June 16, 2010 at 2:50 am

I have a bridge phobia BIG TIME and these were freaky to me. I hate heights and have dreams of bridges collapsing. I am glad there is a name for it!

Those are some freaking big bridges. Time for a Xanax.

13 Lori August 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I am a bit seasick after looking at all of those. But I have to say that all of the bridges show some pretty amazing architectural skills and creativity. Just wouldn't want to travel on one.

14 katlupe November 3, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I would never go over one of those bridges! No matter what! Did you ever hear about the Sunshine Skyway Bridge being hit by a freighter and when the vehicles came over it in the early morning they did not know there was no bridge! Horrible, it was in 1980 and 30 people were killed. I am not usually afraid of bridges, but I am cautious.

15 Doreen Lombardo November 22, 2010 at 12:54 am

I see I'm not the only one with a horrible fear of heights. I don't drive over bridges. I will cross them, only if someone else is driving. I close my eyes and I make them take the inside lane if possible.

16 elleonthego November 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Wouldn't like to go near some of these bridges, especially the 5th, I agree with you there.
Amazing pictures though.

Elle

17 Holly November 27, 2010 at 7:06 am

Are ya' TRYIN' to give everybody your phobia??? LOL!!

#1 & 2 are up there with #5 to me!!

Sheesh, could you imagine using bridges from one mountain peak to the next through the rockies? YIKES!!