Bee Careful – Shocking Discovery

by Sherry Riter in Safety

This person knew there were bees under the grill’s cover and that they needed to be killed. This is not my grill! In his words…

Now I know these bombs aren’t for bees, but I thought I’ll suffocate/smoke them out. So here is the weapon of choice and delivery system.

I thought I was pretty smart with my new invention, designed to be easily maneuvered under the cover of darkness. I release the weapon of buzz destruction.

The sound from under the cover was incredible!!! You could hear it far away easily. I ran like crazy….

Coming back a few minutes later to see the death toll, this is what I found…

There was at least a 20mm deep mass grave of bees.

I continued to remove the cover and to light the grill to give it a clean start when I noticed some fatty looking substance on the top of the side shelf thing.

That’s a bit weird. I always clean it before I put it away for winter and no way was there fat there before, so I began to wonder…

NO!!! It can’t be, could it?!!!

I slowly removed the rest of the cover only to find the shocking truth.

I think I can rightfully say that this is a nightmare! Can you imagine what would have happened if they had just whipped the cover off? The whole thing just makes my skin crawl.

I’m sure I won’t ever forget this story and for me, the only place to store the grill is in an enclosed space such as a shed or garage.

Additional Grill Storage Resources:

How to Remove Bees

1 Jamie June 4, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Um, so just reading this made me cringe, seeing the pictures made me wanna run far far away from my computer 0_0 I can't imagine having that many bee's around…ugggh. Poor thing, that would have just sent me into hysterics!

2 cfoxes33 June 4, 2010 at 5:28 pm

OMG! When was the last time the grill had been used? AMAZING!

3 Jessica June 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Oh my! How scary! Thank goodness they bombed it before they took the cover off.

4 Lou Belcher June 4, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Incredible. Great photos, too.

5 Julie Jabbers June 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

OMG! We found a huge birds nest with dead baby eggs inside our grill. I know I would have FREAKED out if I had your issue. And, look at you, you calmly created your weapon of mass destruction, took pictures and added it them to your blog! Amazing!

6 The Redhead Riter June 4, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Oh Julie, that isn't me…it was someone else. I WOULD HAVE TOTALLY FREAKED OUT!!!!!!!!

7 katlupe June 5, 2010 at 12:09 am

That is amazing! I have had issues with bees out here but nothing like that. Thank the Lord it had a good ending!

8 Mommycrat June 5, 2010 at 1:23 am

Stopping by through Blog Frog.

Ug – I can't believe how calmly that was handled. But then I think my husband might have acted the same way.

We had friends with a (admitedly much smaller) wasp nest under one of their iron patio chairs a few years back. We discovered it as we had planned the first bbq night out of the season. He attacked it with a lighter and a bottle of hairspray. He then took a kind of mean delight in killing those who were out as they came back to the now non-existant nest.

I'm terrified of wasps and bees, so it was all quite horrible to me. But he was my hero. I almost sat in the chair in question.

9 Jen and Matt June 5, 2010 at 1:57 am

HOLY WOW!!! That is amazing but freaky all at the same time!!!

10 Linda Kish June 5, 2010 at 2:08 am

That was amazing and totally scary since I am allergic.

11 Marie June 5, 2010 at 4:14 am

I literally felt things crawling on me, ALL OVER MY BODY! I think I won't be sleeping well tonight.

12 Mrs Woog June 5, 2010 at 6:47 am

I have NEVER seen anything like it? DO all your BBQ foods now have a honey glaze??

13 Oh Sew Good June 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

I think I would have called a beekeeper first. I'm sure they would have thought they'd died and gone to Heaven. 🙂

14 angie lilly June 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

This made me so sad. I wish you would have called a beekeeper too. With the rate of bee decline so serious in the USA and the world, I just cried seeing all of these little guys dead. Maybe you did not know about the bee issue or the fact that beekeepers will come to you and take the bees found like this though. But now that you do know, I hope you will reconsider killing them should something like this happen again.

15 ?Georgie? June 5, 2010 at 5:51 pm

that is really amazing and I am so glad it wasnt me that found all the bees I just got the chills seeing all the dead bees …I agree I bet a beekeeper would have been in heaven…thats one BIG honeycomb!