threads of life

Life has unexpected twists and turns. Each day is truly a new beginning filled with unforeseen experiences. Our reactions and acceptance determines where the next new beginning starts.

Thirteen years ago I had a thriving Avon business in Texas with 1,500 customers and an abundance of product. I was married to my first husband, living in a house on a quiet cul-de-sac. Alyssa and Brittany were just tiny girls. My sister and mom were still single and I don’t think any of us had wrinkles!

During that time, I purchased a blue and white throw with a beautiful rose design. It was part of a series which included cobalt blue dishes, candles, crystal, and other home decorations. Each item of the series that I purchased remained in the original plastic and put into boxes neatly hidden on a shelf in the back of a closet. I had decided to save them until we moved to a larger home as a housewarming gift to myself.

Time passed.

We didn’t buy a larger home.

Instead, my marriage fell apart and after sixteen years together, we divorced.

Packing and sorting all our belongings was painful. I couldn’t imagine using all the things that stirred sentiment and so I gave most of it to my ex-husband. I didn’t, however, give him the blue rose series of home decor.

Now I’m married to my second husband and living in Virgina. My sister and mom have since married and we all live within thirty minutes of each other. Alyssa and Brittany are beautiful young women. My sister, mom and I have wrinkles that seem to have suddenly just appeared out of nowhere.

A few years ago, I opened the box that held the blue rose throw. Holding the intricately woven threads, memories of childhood laughter, dripping popsicles, sprinklers, dolls, vacations, and young love swept through my mind.

My memories and life, like the threads of the blue rose throw, are delicately woven with each choice, opportunity, trial and tribulation experienced. These are my life threads. The throw and I are not without flaws and after many years, we are both a little worn and frayed.

I think softly worn throws are lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sherry Riter, also known as The Redhead Riter. Sherry is witty, intelligent and addictive as she writes about cooking, family, marriage, failures, blogging tips, art, humor, inspiration, travel, PTSD and aging. Her goal is to inspire, motivate, educate and to make her audience laugh. Sherry embraces being a redhead and helps others to see the redhead point of view…"In some eras redheads were worshipped while others thought us witches. Personally, I like the former and think every day is 'Love a redhead day!'" She can also be found on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Linkedin, tweeting as @TheRedheadRiter and you can subscribe to her free blog feed.

Sabrina May 5, 2010 at 3:20 am

This posting was beautiful. Although I could almost feel the pain you went through, somehow I ended up smiling. Some of God's greatest gifts are the changes in our lives we don't understand at the time….

Tessa May 5, 2010 at 4:23 am

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing something so personal and touching!

Cynthia at the Daily Basics May 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hey Red, I LOVE that post. I got all choked up! So sweet and profound.

sexylegsandbody May 5, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Hi, you have a lovely blog, I enjoyed reading through it.
Thanks for leaving a thought on my last post about Kate's dress and not leaving much for the imagination. I have to agree with you…. after reading your post on the heels found in your closet by your mom, I was just wondering what shoes she had on with that dress… maybe also some "come hither heels…" :D Not that she needed them… lol…

Thanks again for dropping in, have a lovely day.

Colin.

TheNanaDiana May 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Red- I can identify with much of what you have written about today. Life has a way of just moving us forward, doesn't it? It sounds like you have found some peace and happiness at this point in your tapestry. I once heard a speaker that commented that our lives were a lot like tapestries…when you looked at the back it was a hodgepodge of threads and discoonected ideas but when you turned it over-it was a thing of beauty. I have thought about that many times over the years when I wondered about the "whys" of some things. NanaDiana

Danica-Dragonfly May 5, 2010 at 4:20 pm

How elegant … and poignant … and true.

Lovely!

KellieS May 5, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I love the thought that our lives are like a fine tapestry, woven one row a time, one thread at a time. Your comparison was quite moving and a tribute to your personal growth through trials. thanks for sharing with us.

KellieS May 5, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I love that our lives are like a fine tapestry, woven one row at a time, one thread at at time. It's the finished picture that makes all the work well worth it. Your post is a beautiful tribute to self-growth through trials. Thanks for sharing with us.