The Little Red Hen (The Redhead Riter)

by Sherry Riter in Family,Women Stuff

The Little Red Hen

Do you know the story of the Little Red Hen? It is an old folk tale that was turned into a children’s book by Little Golden Books in the 1940’s and is one of my all time favorite books. Well, if you haven’t heard it, the brief version with its application to me today follows:

There was a Little Red Hen (The Redhead Riter) who found a grain of wheat (dust bunnies and clutter) and wanted to bake bread (clean the house spotlessly), but she knew she couldn’t do it all alone so she asked her animal friends (family) to help.

At each stage of harvesting, threshing, milling the wheat into flour, and baking the flour into bread (cleaning the windows, baseboards, air conditioning vents, kitchen counters, polishing the kitchen cabinets, polishing the wood furniture, keeping the washer and dryer going, vacuuming, scrubbing the floors) the hen asks for help from the other animal friends (family), but each time she doesn’t get any assistance (Tom put in a light bulb and then took a nap. Alyssa stayed with the puppy who threw up because we think she ate carpet and then took a nap).

Finally when the little Little Red Hen (The Redhead Riter) completes all the tasks and bakes delicious bread (homemade spaghetti), she asks if anyone will help her eat it.

“I will!” said the cow.
“I will!” said the pig (Tom).
“I will!” said the goat.
“I will!” said the teenage Moose (Alyssa).
“I will!” said the duck.

“No you won’t!” said the Little Red Hen.

“I will!” And she did.

Well, that is where the story is different because I did let Tom and Alyssa eat my delicious dinner.

homemade spaghetti with meat sauce

homemade spaghetti with meat sauce

I was the lucky one to get the bay leaf. Don’t you hate it when that happens?!

homemade spaghetti with bay leaf

In spite of my uncommon lethargy, I was determined to accomplish all my tasks today. “And I did!” said The Redhead Riter.

The forum for savvy women and men!
Join here.

1 Anything Fits a Naked Man April 11, 2010 at 2:37 am

Well done, Little Redhead Riter!! How nice of you to share your dinner anyway!!

Great post, as always!!

2 Teresa Wilkinson April 11, 2010 at 2:44 am

I love this. I think I was Alyssa to day. My couch needed my butt. So I stayed with it to keep it company. LOL

3 C. Rose Fisher April 11, 2010 at 5:01 am

Now I am hungry….what yummy pictures and a recap of the classic story with a twist!

4 House Queen April 11, 2010 at 5:21 am

Love it! Have a great Sunday!

5 The Duchess April 11, 2010 at 5:59 am

That b'sketti sure looks good! So nice of you to share with the nappers. Did you really get all that done today?! We're impressed!

The Little Red Hen is one of our all-time favourites, as well. Redheads have good taste. 8-]

6 Valerie April 11, 2010 at 8:06 am

LOL! This is great 🙂

7 Oh Sew Good April 11, 2010 at 11:13 am

What I don't understand is people who can clean house for a living and then have to clean their own. Do you think they hire cleaners? I'm seriously thinking about getting one at least once a month. It's in the thinking stage right now. I like the way I think. 🙂

8 Widge April 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm

haha! oooh I was so with you as the little red hen today! grr

9 Men Are Dumb. I Are One. April 11, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Hello. Jeff here. You've got a great blog here, and I wanted you to know. I'll be back. Please leave the blog key under the mat, okay?

10 The Damsel In DisDress April 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the gift on MMB! Cool blog.

11 B April 11, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hehehe…well written Redhead Riter! Keep them coming. 🙂

12 Vi April 11, 2010 at 7:06 pm

How unique! I love it! Thank you for being such a dynamic and creative riter.

13 Cheryl D. April 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Hi! I'm visiting from SITS Spring Fling! Great blog!

14 Dena E's Blog April 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Wow, you are so gifted Sweet Red,,been busy have you??? Hope you had a blessed Sunday Red and the Spagetti here is looking sooooo tasty too.
But what of the vacuuming??? Did you get it done too???
Seriously though,,Happy Monday coming RR…Big Iowa Hugs((L&H)) Dena

15 Mormon Surrogate April 12, 2010 at 12:12 am

Hey- thanks for the gift over at Mormon Mommy Blogs! I look forward to getting to know you as I follow you best I can.

16 Jennifer Chase April 12, 2010 at 1:26 am

Fun! I am glad you joined my blog, otherwise I wouldn't have found your corner of the world. Thanks for sharing!

17 Teresha@Marlie and Me April 12, 2010 at 2:00 am

Funny story…I always feel like the little red hen. Sorry you are still feeling bleh.

18 Heidi Walker April 12, 2010 at 2:56 am

Thanks for following me on Blog Frog.

19 Sheri B. April 12, 2010 at 5:19 am

I love picture books (It is really an unhealthy obsession)! I think this is such a cute and original way to share your yummy looking spaghetti. I went shopping, and I plan on making some later on this week because of your blog.

20 Susan Maguire May 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Did you knnow there is another take on this treasure? – it is a contemporary one titled, "The Little Red Hed (makes a pizza)" by Philemon Sturgis. It is a clever retelling of the original except it takes place in a neighborhood instead of the farm and the characters are more stick like. The ending is different….the characters are allowed to share in the pizza inspite of their laziness!!! Don't despair,just read and enjoy; maybe compare and contrast, but don't get too deep – remember to read for readings sake.
Susan at an early literacy blog for families and professionals. Stop by and see what I have to share with you.