I’m Pregnant?

by Sherry Riter in Health,Pregnancy

Am I going to be like this pregnant woman?

This requires a little explanation.

It took me ten years to get pregnant with Alyssa, my only child who turns17 years old this month on the 15th. Anyway, it was hard to get pregnant and I’ve never taken any kind of birth control. It was also very tough at the beginning of the pregnancy (that’s another story) and an extremely difficult delivery (this is definitely another story). Thus, I was told to never get pregnant again because it could compromise my life and that of my unborn child.

How do you think a woman who wanted twelve children takes that news? (that is a process and yet another story or we won’t ever get through this post). Yes, I would be like Michelle Duggar and love every second.

The good news is that I feel very blessed to have a fantastically beautiful and wonderful daughter. I’ve never had a problem keeping up with her energy which usually runs out before mine. That’s saying a lot for someone my age up against someone who is an energetic teenager.

It helps that I don’t require much rest. I hate sleeping and it is just a fact that has annoyed many during my lifetime. I find sleeping to be a huge waste of time, however, like everyone else, I too must sleep and I do.

Lately, actually, I have been sleeping more than usual because I have been very tired.

Unusually lethargic.

I take vitamins every morning, faithfully. I take a Women’s Centrum Silver, calcium, B12, vitamin C and some potassium. They get me up early in the morning and keep me going all day and into the late night hours. Since I haven’t changed the combination of the supplements, I know that isn’t the reason for the increased drowsiness.

I was chatting in my forum at BLOGNTWEET today and expressing my new condition because that’s what I do when I can’t figure out why I feel under the weather…

I complain.

Not often, but at least a little bit.

I’m not a very good patient either which should be obvious since I don’t like sleeping. Usually getting over a sickness requires sleeping or at least resting in bed.

Anyway, while chatting with Colleen Luntzel, one of the active members at BLOGNTWEET, she said:

“Are you pregnant????”

I immediately blew it off and thought her question was rather funny, but it has niggled me all afternoon. I started thinking…

How do I physically and mentally feel?

I have weird cravings such as bacon with cake, sweet pickles dipped in, and bony fish with hot sauce for breakfast.

I have a basic all-over-not-myself-feeling.

Am I pregnant?

After all these years could it have happened again?

What else could it be because I just can’t get my mind around being pregnant at this point of my life.

I’m not going to work myself up about it because it is probably just coincidence (repeating this several times to myself).

It has bothered me enough that I’ve made an appointment with my doctor for next week which is the earliest appointment available.

I better go talk to my husband and daughter now.

1 Lorie Shewbridge April 8, 2010 at 3:07 am

If you are pregnant, I think it is fabulous! Praying that all will be well with you and with the potential new life within you. There are SO many new advances over the last 17 years… things will be MUCH better now for you and the baby. God bless and I will continue to keep you in my heart!
Can't wait to hear the news.

2 Bri April 8, 2010 at 3:09 am

Hmmmm…definitely a good decision to get checked. Might be low iron (makes you tired). If you're chewing ice (or unusually craving for ice) then positively anemic. I hope it's not any of these 🙂

3 Namzola April 8, 2010 at 4:09 am

Either way, it's news enough to get me hooked to find out the answer. Hope it's what you expect – good luck.

4 Lucy April 8, 2010 at 4:14 am

How exciting! Good luck, Redhead Riter. It would be a big change for your daughter – an only child for 17 years!!

I am following your blog now and am looking forward to finding out if the unthinkable is thinkable… 😉

5 Vickie April 8, 2010 at 4:29 am

Oh my gosh!! Keep us posted!! Run to the drug store!!

6 Bombshell BLISS April 8, 2010 at 7:43 am

While it would be an exciting blessing for you, I'm sure you are feeling a bit frightened about what it might mean for your health.

Find out as soon as you can and do share how your family is taking it. I'm thinking that will be a fun story to share.

Hugs to you my friend!

7 Oh Sew Good April 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

I'm no doctor and yet it does sound hormonal; that's for sure. I wonder if you should wait to have that conversation until after you've gone to the doctor though.

8 Tutus and Tantrumns April 8, 2010 at 11:29 am

Wow, good luck! I hope everything is okay, and if you are pregnant just know that 'God must have a plan'…that is fabulous!

9 Goldylocks aka Erin April 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Wow….maybe? Wow….I couldn't imagine having those thoughts go through my head again. LOL

Good luck any which way it goes. Too bad you can't get to the doc until next week. The waiting game is the hardest.

10 Divine Chaos April 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

There is no way I'd be able to wait a week to find out if pregnancy was the cause of the changes .. I'd worry myself to death over it. I always wanted more babies but, like you, I only have one.

I hope it turns out however -you- want it to 🙂

11 The Redhead Riter April 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm

So after sleeping on it, there is just no way (well, you know what I mean) that I am pregnant. That's craziness talking! Paranoia! My subconscious doing tricks on me because I do not want to have babies at this age. I mean really, think about my age! I am not feeling panic today because I'm either (1) in denial or (2) thinking crazy. Either way, I'm not going to worry about it or think about it kind of like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind…"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

12 Teresha@Marlie and Me April 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

did you take a home test? I hope you get good news next week. I don't see how you can wait that long…you must have nerves of steel!

13 Tim @ Families Again April 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Is it possible! Could we have a little *"Redhead Printer" coming soon.

Praying for God's will :-).

*For anyone that's wondering, they don't teach cursive until third grade these days. So little one would be a "Redhead Printer".

14 Mrs. Claus April 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Good luck! Either way it turns out, can't wait to read the post after the doctor appointment.

15 Goodness and Mercy Mom April 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Okay. I'm about to run to the drug store and get you a pregnancy test! (Ummm. Where do you live?) I've been in that limbo of "am I pregnant?" It's the not knowing that is so hard. Keep us posted.

Much Love,

16 natalee April 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm

My dear friend … go to the pharmacy and get a pee test!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swore i wasn't pregnant with son # 2 because i was on the new patch birthcontrol… i swore it was the flu…… hugs

17 The Redhead Riter April 8, 2010 at 3:22 pm

It has been so long, do you know I didn't even think about a urine test? I thought you had to wait two months…Have they improved on how fast you can find out? How soon can they tell you???

18 Tim @ Families Again April 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Oh my goodness Redhead. I'm a man and I even know these things. You can get tests that will practically tell you if you are pregnant 1 minute after conception almost (not really but almost). Go get a test!

19 TheMenuMom April 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

They are very accurate very early now… Like you can test 5 days before you miss your period with some of them. Go get a home test! It could also just be other hormone issues though. Are you going to be relieved or dissappointed if you're not pregnant?

20 Teresa Wilkinson 1984 April 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Well Red I now know you do not watch TV.LOL The commercials say EPT can tell you 6 days before your missed period. LOL

21 The Redhead Riter April 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Wow ya'll! I can't believe that! I do watch "some" TV, but I always mute the commercials. Plus, home pregnancy commercials wouldn't turn me on anyway, so if they were on I would pay no attention at all. I'm really good at tuning things out. I can tune everything out and only hear my daughter's voice across the house. That's my special talent LOL LOL LOL I can't hardly believe they are accurate so fast now! Technology has really advanced.

To answer your question MenuMom, I don't really want to be pregnant at this age, but if I were then hopefully God would kick in with some young hormonal vigor because it would be very much a miracle LOL

22 fredamans April 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed that you have another bundle on route. x

23 Momotics April 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I hope you get whatever it is that you would be happy with. If you are pregnant I wish you a happy, healthy, and uncomplicated pregnancy!

Stoppin' by from SITS!

24 Melissa April 9, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Holy Moly! Good Luck!!!

25 Tim @ Families Again April 11, 2010 at 2:48 am

OK, I've been gone for a couple of days and got back on right away tonight to check in. Do we have an answer yet? BTW, have you checked the new Men's Monday Meme? It's dedicated to you!