Creatively Squint

by Sherry Riter in Art  ,Decorating

I’ve looked at every page of the website I’m going to tell you about because I was fascinated by the artistic nature of the product…truly fascinated. But first, let me give a little history of why I find this so intriguing…

My mother is a master seamstress and has been all my life. She used to make all my clothes and most of the time I went to the fabric store with her to “choose” the fabric and pattern. It always made me feel special to wear my mother’s creations and to be a part of the whole process. I didn’t like trying on the pin laden fabric pieces, but I loved being able to pull the pins out for her and eventually hem.

I remember the first time we sat down together so that she could teach me how to hem. Mom’s hands are so tiny especially compared to mine. I have watched her hands intently as she guided the fabric in the sewing machine or used the pinking scissors to cut out the patterned pieces. I believe watching her for so many years, actually made sewing by myself much easier than for the average person. She patiently taught me how to do a blind hem in a dress and from then on, hemming was my contribution to sewing. Eventually, I moved on to bigger and better things, but I just hemmed for a very long time.

Mom’s patience and persistence as my sewing teacher eventually paid off. It is because of her that I made my own clothes, including my wedding dress, and my latest was Alyssa’s elegant prom dress.

Anyway, Mom would always give me little scraps to play with and to create things for my Barbies and baby dolls. THAT is exactly what I think of when I see this furniture from a company in London called Squint which “makes to order, classic designs meticulously made in England and upholstered traditionally, with tied springs and hand stitched seams. Each design is priced individually depending on the final mix of fabrics used…”

bed from Squint

mirror and light (chandelier) from Squint

couch from Squint

chair from Squint

couch from Squint
All Images: Squint

Their website has so many pictures of really cool looking creations that you just have to hop over and check them all out.

Wasn’t that fun?

The forum for savvy women and men!
Join here.

1 Xmas Dolly April 9, 2010 at 4:13 am

Actually I found you at The Product Review Place. You put a comment on my wall back on Jan. 24 & gave me a red ribbon. Thought I'd stop by & say hello, and saw all these neat furniture. It reminds me of whimsical furniture. You know Alice in Wonderland. Totally awesome.

2 Hagler Happenings April 9, 2010 at 4:39 am

WoW! Those pieces are amazing!

Thanks for following… I think I've found a friend here 🙂

3 Kaylen April 9, 2010 at 5:53 am

That bed about blinded me–but I love the loveseat and chairs! Those are so great!

4 Julie W April 9, 2010 at 7:17 am

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I recently switched hosts, so my blog looks naked right now without any comments. So, I really appreciate the feedback! 🙂

AND I noticed you are in Richmond! I'm right up 95 from you, in the DC area. Love the Mid-Atlantic!

Love your profile pic and your site. It reminds me of a Tuesday Morning store, and that's a good thing. So much to see and find!

5 Jennifer Juniper April 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Wow, these pieces are amazing! So fun and whimsical. I think I'm inspired!

6 Divine Chaos April 9, 2010 at 3:03 pm

those are GREAT pieces!! I love the bright chaotic patchwork 🙂

..and I went to see the prom dress. It was gorgeous! My grandmother and mom both sew and they've made tons of clothes for me, my sisters, and my daughter … but, alas, I cannot even sew one straight seam, no matter how hard I try. I decided to leave the crafting to them and I'll stick with my musical and verbal talents 😉

7 MaryJanes and Galoshes April 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Oh I love all the colors! These are so fun.

8 B April 9, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Wow those are really neat pieces!

Funny, my Dad is the sewer in my family. Not very well mind you, but he was the one who did all the sewing. 🙂

You are quite talented. I looked at Alyssa's prom dress post….stunning! I also searched your blog to see your wedding dress you created. Is there a picture of it anywhere?

9 Melissa April 9, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Wow! Delicious! That Was fun!

10 Sara McArthur April 9, 2010 at 6:47 pm

I have never even heard of this delightful little company before. I LOVE this stuff totally my taste! Thanks for sharing!

11 Lisa Taylor May 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Oh these are so great! I would love love love one of these pieces!!!