Sweet To See

by Sherry Riter in Alyssa,Memory

If you keep your white sugar in the original bag, I’m sure you have to fight with loose granules every time you open it. I don’t have that problem because I keep the sugar in a very large plastic container. I buy the big ten pound bag from Sam’s and the whole thing fits in my container.

When I need sugar for a recipe, I do not have a problem with measuring with a spoon or a measuring cup. It also is easy to get a large quantity to pour into the sugar shaker. I don’t use the measuring cups or a new clean cup every time I need to fill the sugar shaker or to grab a bunch for a recipe that I don’t have to measure. I have something special that I keep in the sugar container to use for just those purposes.

When Alyssa was a very, very young child, I purchased a Winnie the Pooh dinner plate, fork, spoon, bowl and cup for her. It was always my favorite. Eventually Alyssa got too old for the cup and after hundreds of uses by her tiny, sweet hands holding it up to her lips for a “dwink,” it was retired. For years the Winnie the Pooh cup was in the cup cabinet…unused. I kept it towards the front so that every time I opened the cabinet, I could see the cup and enjoy the wonderful feeling it brought with the sweet memories.

A few years ago, with the Winnie the Pooh cup still in the front of the kitchen glass cabinet, I finally thought of a way that it could be used again…

sweet Pooh

Sweet memories, held in a sweet cup, that was used by my sweet daughter, now being used in the sweet sugar container.

1 Deb January 28, 2010 at 4:57 am

Your posts reminds me of baking with my grandma. We'd always scoop out flour and sugar–nice memories! I love that the pooh cup can have a life beyond toddlerhood. I always think it's great when I can figure out a useful way to hold onto keepsakes.

2 Kelly L January 28, 2010 at 5:17 am

Very sweet post – we had that cup – my daughter's room was decorated with classic pooh too. Great memory – now she's 13 and too old for pooh.

Love to you.

3 Tania @ Larger Family Life January 28, 2010 at 5:47 am

Just came on over to let you know you have a couple of awards at mine:

4 Scentsy January 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

I saw your site on the Free bloggers network and being the Mom of a redhead I just had to stop by and visit. You gotta love the redheads!

5 Teresha@Marlie and Me January 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm

now I have the Winnie the Pooh song in my head, LOL!

6 Jane In The Jungle January 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I wish I had a container big enough for a 10 lb sugar, especially as much as I go through.
I still have the Winnie plate I got for the now 15 yr old…all 4 have used it…every now and then they still do!

7 mom2three January 28, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Great Idea…now I know what to do with my kids mugs when they have outgrown them. Gotta love Winnie!

8 buhdoop January 29, 2010 at 5:30 am

That is so cute and brings back memories.

9 Laura January 29, 2010 at 6:11 am

What a sweet little cup. The memories are always the best part!

Stopping by from SITS

10 The Professional Family Manager January 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Oh my goodness–we have the same cup–in our flour bin! LOL!

11 The Redhead Riter January 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Wow! We must really have a lot of things in common if we have this one thing in common since it is such an off the wall kind of thing! Too cool!!!! We need to chat!