The Redhead Abominable Riter

by Sherry Riter in Memory,The Redhead Riter,Weather

Since Alyssa‘s school had a two hour delayed start the other day due to snow and because the temperatures have been SO COLD this week, I thought that this would be an appropriate message.

It doesn’t take much for hypothermia to set in…If the air temperatures are below 4°C (39°F) combined with wind chill an unprotected person can get hypothermia within one hour. One hour just isn’t that long! If the air temperatures are below ?7°C (20°F), then there is more chance for frostbite and hypothermia to happen.

How can we reduce the stress our bodies suffer when it is so cold outside? Here are a few suggestions to help:

• Dress with multiple layers that cover every inch of your body…well, that is just about what I do. The only think you can see is my eyeballs and if I could cover them, I WOULD!
  • Drink warm fluids which would include my favorite, hot chocolate <--- seriously, those photos make me salivate
  • Avoid smoking, taking drugs and drinking alcohol
  • Don’t work outside alone, especially for prolonged periods
  • Do your outside activities during the warmest part of the day to avoid the coldest exposure
  • And my favorite tip…eat warm, high-calorie foods. <---That looked yummy didn't it?

I totally believe in the multiple layers thing and practice it daily during the cold months. Taking a look at the picture below will help you understand why people don’t recognize who I am when I walk past them in the winter…Well, if they know me, they know that I’m the girl buried under all that black fabric. Let me reassure you that I am toasty warm.

No, I do not live in the North Pole!

The Redhead Abominable Riter

Who knows, I could be doing tongue tricks behind all that fabric bulk!

So be honest, do you look like the Redhead Abominable Riter or are you too “cool” like Fonzie?

1 Steph Jordan January 13, 2010 at 4:01 am

You are too too cute!! That pic of you is gorgeous
It makes me want to paint it.

2 The Redhead Riter January 13, 2010 at 4:15 am

Paint me? So you prefer me with my face covered? LOL LOL LOL Now I'm rolling on the floor laughing my head off!

3 bluecottonmemory January 13, 2010 at 4:38 am

You have beautiful eyes! It's colder where we've moved and the boys were suddenly asking in October instead of December for blue jeans. They're wearing jackets now, asking for gloves and eyeing the basket of hats seeing if they can get by without me seeing them because they know I love it when they wear winter hats and they so don't want to see me smile. However, you can see the hat I wear in the winter at the following post:

4 The Redhead Riter January 13, 2010 at 4:45 am

Thank you for the compliment!

I checked out what you called "your hat" and there is no way that would keep my head warm! LOL

5 Lisa Curcio January 13, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Well, since I live in the South now, no I don't look like that, but I sure did when I lived in Western New York!

Very cute picture 🙂

6 Teresha@Marlie and Me January 13, 2010 at 3:28 pm

you look ready for a ski trip!
thanks for the tips!

7 mom2three January 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I am freezing just reading your post. I live in almost always hot Arizona and seriously the coldest it gets is still actually t-shirt weather in most states. I grew up in snow though so I totally remember the feeling that your air ways would freeze up and all feeling in your feet would disappear!

8 kys January 13, 2010 at 8:06 pm

It's cold here, too but I'm not much on bundling up. I have conceeded to to wearing a coat and that's as far as I'll go untill we hit negative temps.

9 JDaniel4's Mom January 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I will be working on the high calorie foods. Stopping by from SITS!